Author Topic: Farewell and Thank You  (Read 4146 times)

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Farewell and Thank You
« on: March 22, 2024, 01:29:06 PM »
It is with a heavy heart I must write to say farewell to all the wonderful members of the WWI Aircraft Models forum.

As some of you may know, I have been battling serious health issues for the past year, and a few days ago I was advised by my doctors that the treatments had stopped working and my remaining time was now extremely limited; likely a week or two at the outside.

Due to the nature of my illness, it is unlikely I will be in a position to communicate effectively for more than a few more days, and that means now is the best opportunity I will have to say goodbye and thank you for all your support over the years.

As some of our longer-term members may recall, the forum was started by the late Des Delatorre in 2012; after his death in 2018 I inherited it and have been manning the ops desk since. In that time, we have grown considerably, welcomed a large number of new members, and built a lot of fantastic models together too.

With my own sortie in the great unknown imminent, I have passed control of the forum to Brad Cancian, and I know the flight yoke will be in capable hands under his piloting.

I am proud to say this is, without a doubt, the premier WWI aviation modelling forum on the internet, and it has been a pleasure to share the joy of WWI aircraft modelling with you all.

Thank you all for your support and involvement over the years; this wouldn’t be the forum it is without you all; there are some world-class kitbuilders here and it has been a privilege to share your modelling journeys.

I wish you all clear skies and good hunting – and know I will be sure to raise a glass in that great celestial squadron mess hall when I arrive.

Dave Wilson
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline FAf

Re: Farewell and Thank You
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2024, 04:06:47 PM »
😢
/F

Offline Edo

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2024, 04:22:19 PM »
Dave,
I am so sorry...
I am speechless....

Edo

Online DaddyO

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2024, 05:00:19 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to let us know Dave. Devastating news, but I'm sure we all feel the same in wishing you thanks for your years of hard work keeping this wonderful forum going and growing into the resource and community it has become. For me personally it has been a beacon leading the way back into scale modelling and in itself has given me hours of pleasure.

Thank you and farewell my friend
Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline Syd Solo

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2024, 05:11:10 PM »
Thank you so much, Dave, for everything you have done to continue the growth of this most excellent forum. You have fostered a spirit of mutual respect and support amongst like-minded enthusiasts from around the world. Your wonderful contribution to our cherished hobby will be long remembered.

With admiration and gratitude.

Farewell and clear skies.

Syd

Offline hsmed

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2024, 05:27:44 PM »
So sad news  :'( :'(

You can - and should - be proud of your work keeping this wonderful forum alive. I have not contributed much, but I have enjoyed it immensely.

I wish you a blue sky

Henning

Offline macsporran

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2024, 06:04:57 PM »
Devastating news, Dave. Difficult to know what to say, apart from thanking you for all the years of hard work and dedication making this place what it is.
I don't think it's necessary to say in what high regard and affection we all hold you, but I will anyway.
Blue skies, my friend.
Sandy

Offline NigelR

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2024, 08:30:39 PM »
Thanks for letting us know Dave. Very sad news but if it's any small consolation, you have kept Des's site alive and steered it to greater strengths. You have have kept enthusiasm for WWI modelling alive and engendered huge respect from those of us that find this site such an enjoyable and inspiring place. And you've made many virtual friends who will always remember you very fondly. I also really enjoyed your sleuthing and articles about the demise of WNW. I think you had a background in journalism and your approach to all of that showed you were clearly a person of high intellect and principles.

Thanks again for all your hard work. You will not be forgotten. Clear skies.......

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2024, 09:00:16 PM »
I have no words  :'(
Fly straight, fly high,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Online janh

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2024, 09:28:56 PM »
 :'( :-\

Offline aircooled

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2024, 09:47:26 PM »
God bless you sir.

Offline Vickers

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2024, 10:17:11 PM »
I'm gutted. When I received Sally's message to the FFM, I was at a loss for words and it has taken awhile for me to digest and accept this heartbreaking news. Our prayers are with you and your family, Dave. I will be forever grateful for your friendship and my cherished memories of our visit in Las Vegas. Through our personal correspondence over the past (I don't even know how many) years, you've become very much the brother that I never had. I also wish to express my gratitude for your encouragement, which inspired me to get back to the bench and resume the hobby after my years-long hiatus during which I was beginning to wonder whether I'd ever build another model. Rest assured that I will continue to support this forum- your work in preserving it has ensured that it'll remain a robust community resource for Great War modelers and enthusiasts the world over for many years to come.

With my loving best regards,

Erik

« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 10:37:51 PM by Vickers »
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline Flik63J

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2024, 10:51:32 PM »
Thank you for picking up the baton Dave, and doing such a great job.
I know you have left us in safe hands.

Rest easy,

David

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2024, 12:17:26 AM »
I feel devastated.
I can only say, thank you for everything and may God bless you, Dave... :'(
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Gene K

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2024, 12:24:20 AM »
Thank you so much for the thoughtful message, Dave, in this unimaginable trying time. I add my personal appreciation for all you've done over the years to bring so much joy and inspiration to us.

Peace.

Gene K