Author Topic: What is sitting on your Shelf of Doom?  (Read 806 times)

Offline macsporran

What is sitting on your Shelf of Doom?
« on: March 20, 2024, 12:02:33 AM »
I'm re-organizing the shelves, drawers and various storage nooks in my workshop room and came across a 1/72 vignette I started some years ago for a group build, but missed the deadline and basically forgot about!

You can see what it was all about and I spent ages working out the geometry of who was looking at whom, angles of ailerons, elevators and rudders and how the planes would be positioned on a wire frame. The pilots were all modified from 1/72 soldiers and poor old Voss holds his head as Rhys-Davids catches him in his sights.

It'd be nice to finish - and I don't really have the heart to chuck it out - but it'll likely go back in a box for another few years!
Sandy

Offline AngryJazz

Re: What is sitting on your Shelf of Doom?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2024, 09:09:03 PM »
Looks like it would shape up to be a great diorama  :)

But a fun subject, so I'll join in with my shelf of doom / shame.
I often get distracted by something new and shiny and have to fight the urge to tear into a new kit... Sometimes the new project wins  ;D

Had other kits / project that I threw out when I cleaned out the office. Mostly resin stuff I would never finish... And a Academy Hellcat - that thing was not worth building.

My Zoukei-Mura 1/32 Ki-45. Spend ages painting and detailing the interior. The exterior needed lots of work.. scribing, filling, sanding... eventually it stalled.
Been working on / off on it for about a year.

My Border Apocalypse tank...
Had to build 4 set of tracks and solder some parts... Did not feel like it so back in the box! Did eventually solder the circuit, but not much happened since.

Border model T-34.
Basically all built, even the individual tracks. It got abandoned in favor of my WNW Dolphin.

Resin Star Wars diorama
I got sick of sanding so its been sitting for a year or so.

Lastly my Takom M103.
Not technically stuck on the shelf. I work a bit on it here and there, but not really focused.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 09:33:45 PM by AngryJazz »
//Ben

Offline Umlaufmotor

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2024, 12:11:45 AM »
A Wingnut Wings LVG C.VI has been waiting on my shelf of Doom for many years.
I ordered this kit in 2009 and started with it in the same year.
When I noticed that this kit had a lot of deviations from the original aircraft (WNW unfortunately took the "Englishized" LVG from Shuttleworth as a master for this kit), I put the model aside again.
Some time later I "stumbled" across the faithful restoration of an LVG C.VI at Memorial Flight in France.
This made me want to build this model again.
Only, the problem was - now there were a lot of very good pictures (also detail pictures) - to be found on their website of this airplane.
Since the kit differs greatly from the original, it was necessary to scratch-build many of the parts inside the airplane, rebuild some parts and add missing parts.
Many instruments, side panels, fittings and incorrectly positioned maintenance hatches, tank nozzles etc. were adapted.
But I didn't always have the drive to continue building this model - lots of new things from WNW came up and distracted me.
But from time to time I dig everything out again, spend a month or two on the LVG and then put it back in the corner.
My problem is that the original pictures force me to build the model as close as possible to the original.
But see for yourself - I think the last construction progress happened sometime in summer 2018

« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 12:41:40 AM by Umlaufmotor »

Offline Umlaufmotor

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2024, 12:14:16 AM »

Offline Umlaufmotor

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2024, 12:20:54 AM »

Of course there would be much more pictures to see, the interiors in the cockpit and the observer are almost finished, but in principle this is the current status.
We'll see the next time I get the urge to continue building.

Servus
Bertl

Offline acewwi

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2024, 02:37:52 AM »
Bertl,
you don't know how much I've missed this build of yours.
Please post it again.
Spyros

Offline NigelR

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2024, 03:41:31 AM »
Ben, that is a heck of a shelf of doom.

And Bertl, that LVG is stunning. You really are a master modeller!

Offline AngryJazz

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2024, 05:36:56 AM »
Wow Bertl, that LVG is amazing. So many details added! You should definitely finish it one day  ;D

And yes Nigel so true! Hopefully i'll manage to finish one or two of them this year! I need to make some room for new stuff  :)
//Ben

Offline Brian James Riedel

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2024, 02:02:31 AM »
Far too many kits. 1/72 Roden Se-5a, 1/48 Airfix Spitfire Mk.Vb (old tool), 1/35 Tamiya Tiger I ( first release) and on and on. Right now, I’m trying to finish a Hasegawa Bf-109G-14 I started around 18 years ago.

The insanity of it all is I still buy kits knowing they may never be built!

Brian Riedel

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2024, 09:02:29 AM »
Almost everything in my stash has been started in one way or another...it would be quicker to list the kits that AREN'T on the SOD  ;D
Zac in NZ

Offline Softscience

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2024, 12:42:26 PM »
I have an absurd amount on the SoD. Like Kiwizac, I tend to start mods when I get them, and then I get bored then I pull them back out after a few months or years, then get bored, and repeat.

The nice thing about this work cycle is I get to finish a lot of projects at about the same time, because I always have a few things that are at least 75% done.

But some things stay on the SoD for a very long time. Probably the oldest is a WNW albatross that I have owned since 2010 and that has moved to four different houses with me.  I was able to find all it's missing parts recently, in a stash clean-out, and it will probably be getting finished sometime this year.

Offline WD

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2024, 09:13:50 AM »
Wow!  All of y'all have some beautiful projects on the SoD!

As for me and my house:

- the 1/72nd scale Eduard Nieuport 17's are currently on the bench. I hope these get completed.
- a Flashback Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter on which I messed up the rear turtledeck. Not sure if that's salvageable.
- a MAC Spad VII C.1 on which I thinned the trailing edges of the wings (days of sanding!), and I dropped the top wing on the tile floor. Yep, it hit trailing edge first and shattered.  :'(
- two Tamiya 1/72nd A6M Zeroes, that are stalled due to my own messing with them.

Warren