Author Topic: Roland CII 1/32 Scale  (Read 1513 times)

Offline NigelR

Re: Roland CII 1/32 Scale
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2024, 08:04:42 PM »
That's madness! But very clever masking work, well done.

Offline djuggie

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2024, 11:50:48 AM »
Dutch,

Thank you for the heads up but I think it is too late.  Talking about drafting, I use my draftsman inking pen as my liquid glue applicator.  I wish I had had a rapidograph pen. 

The Roland is nearing completion.  Should have it up tomorrow.

Nigel,  Thank you for the nice comments.  It was easier in 1/72nd.  I will post both models in my completion photos.

Dennis

Online FAf

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2024, 10:19:16 PM »
Nothing like a bit of masking to lift your spirits! 😁
Good work!
/F

Offline djuggie

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2024, 02:42:13 AM »
April 1, 2024

A slight diversion about drafting tools.  I use my former drafting skills to draw straight line patterns on my models.  One tool that I have found to be indispensable is my old inking pen.  It was used to apply ink to a drawing which could turn hours of work into a streaked mess in seconds.  But it wonderful as a glue applicator for liquid glues.  The pen is dipped into the glue and let's say I am gluing a fuselage.  Slightly separate the two halves, touch the pen to the seam and rotate the pen until the glue runs out of the pen.  The glue will run the length of the seam by capillary action.  Repeat this all the way around the model.

The glue I use is called Weld-On 3 and is used in the plexiglass industry.  It dries in 15 seconds but parts can be moved some for alignment.  It is especially useful when you dry fit a part, take it out and the part resists your charms to get it back into place.  With the Weld-On, dry fit the part, if it is right, work the pen in, the glue runs out and you have a glued part.  And as is with all liquid glues, do not get your fingers in the path of the glue.   

April 5, 2024

The model is now complete.  It was built for its color scheme and the masking was tricky.  The Roland is one of the easiest WNW kits I have build and construction wise, it is goes together very nicely.  As is with all WNW kits, the potential for super detailing is there and this kit will not disappoint.  I did throw in a comparison shot of 1/32 verses 1/72.

Dennis

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2024, 03:20:21 AM »
Nice work on a very difficult paint scheme Dennis.

Offline Davos522

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2024, 09:56:53 AM »
Looks great, Dennis! Congratualtions on another build chalked up. I especially love the shot of it alongside the little 1:72 kit, it's a perfect example of what Peter Jackson would refer to as "forced perspective"—employed repeatedly in the Lord of the Rings movies. And I've still got my old Stædtler ruling pen too, but I lost the tiny knurled knob that you adjust it with years ago... in addition to your gluing technique (neat, by the way!), St Harry Woodman used them for scribing rib tapes on his plastic-card wings IIRC.

Dutch

Offline NigelR

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2024, 06:14:05 PM »
Another nice build with a very interesting colour scheme which you handled very well. Back to the tiny ones now? ;)

Offline djuggie

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2024, 10:16:12 PM »
Tim, Dave and Nigel,

Thank you for the comments.  It was an interesting build and i had fun.  But it has gone to the abode of my customer and another model is well under construction.  I have gone back, waaaay back, to my Pegasus collection.  When I say way back, I mean back to the plastic bags they used to come in.  I will have some progress shots today.

Also received two new builds, the WNW Junkers D.1 and a Roden Sopwith Triplane.  This will be third of six Triplanes as he wants the entire Black Flight.  I may slide the Junkers into the number 2 position as I like that model.

Dennis

Offline AngryJazz

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2024, 06:51:50 PM »
Well done! Very clever way of doing the scheme with masking! Turned out a stunning model  :)
//Ben