Author Topic: Roland CII 1/32 Scale  (Read 1521 times)

Offline djuggie

Roland CII 1/32 Scale
« on: March 14, 2024, 11:02:03 AM »
March 13, 2024

It's time to put aside my 1/72nd builds and build my second WNW Roland C.II for my customer.  Since there are some excellent builds of this kit on this forum recently, I will not be going into much detail.  This is for those who want to build it "out of the box" and off the showroom floor.  Not much detail and no weathering.

One nice thing I noticed is that dry fittlng the interior into the fuselage halves, the fit is near perfect.  Usually there is a gap somewhere that required major putty work.  So far, that is not the case here.  I can live with that.

This kit is probably one of WNW's easier kits and a great place to start on this excellent line of kits.  As I stated in the past, I love building these beautiful kits but I have no room for them in my home.  So I have the best of both worlds.  I get to build and someone else has to find a place to put them.

Dennis

Online Davos522

Re: Roland CII 1/32 Scale
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2024, 11:10:54 AM »
Love these aeroplanes, Dennis, and looking forward to seeing how it comes out. When the boys were little we built the Airfix 1:72 kit, which I still have the bits of, although in those far off closing days of the last century (!) we still thought they were purple and green...

Dutch

Offline djuggie

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2024, 01:12:40 PM »
dave,

Why wouldn't you think all Albatross were purple and green.  All Triplane were bright red.  Remember the Handley Page 0400 being attacked by at least four bright red triplanes?  Looked good on the box.

Dennis

Offline NigelR

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2024, 09:08:23 PM »
The one WNW kit I regret not getting. Enjoy the build Dennis!

Offline djuggie

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2024, 04:35:39 AM »
March 24, 2024

I've been away from the modelling table trying to find the fittings for my new airbrush.  I was given a new Iwata Eclipse and have run all over town looking for a fitting to connect it to my existing equipment.  No love.  Looks like I am going to order the parts I need so my airbrushing will be on hold for a while.

Meanwhile, the interior is completed and the fuselage halves glued and puttied.  This is my first WNW kit that I did not have force the interior into position.  Only minor putty work was required and it is now ready for paint.  I will spend the rest of the week preparing for the color scheme.  All in all, I am pleased with the results and this by far the easiest WNW kit I have built. 

Dennis

Online Davos522

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2024, 01:09:51 PM »
Looks great, Dennis. And somebody gave you an Iwata...? You should hang with them more, maybe they'll give you a BMW next  ;D

Dutch

Offline NigelR

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2024, 08:19:20 PM »
Nice work so far. You are making me regret I didn't buy one of these when I had the chance.....

Offline djuggie

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2024, 10:13:16 PM »
Thank you for the comments.  My main regret is not getting a HB-29 but I did not need it and did not succumb to its siren's call i have three W-29s in my collection with one more to go.  I have not built the Pegasus version.  This year maybe.

Dave, I did not see this message get posted so I probably hit the wrong button.  Blame it on old age.  Yes, I was given a new airbrush and gave my old Iwata to a new modeller.  As far as the BMW, I know I do not have the fittings for that one.  It's a dual action, right? :-)

Dennis 

Offline AngryJazz

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2024, 09:12:28 PM »
Very nice work! Progressing great!
Have this one in the stash, so nice to hear about the fit  :)
//Ben

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2024, 12:43:48 AM »
Looking promising Dennis. That will displace several 1/72 kits in your display case!

Offline djuggie

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2024, 01:20:37 AM »
There was one fit problem I encountered.  Part H15, the upper left side engine cowling, dry fit perfectly.  But, my engine must have been out of position as it never even pretended to fit after the engine was installed.  It is heavily modified to even remotely fit.  If I built another one, I would add this part before assembly.  Then I would see where I made my mistake with the engine.

And Tim, no models in the case will be replaced by this model, although I do have this color scheme in 1/72.  This model is for my long time customer.  He gives me green pieces of paper and he has to find a place for it.

Progress is going well.  After 5 stops, I finally found the adapter for my Iwata and it sprays beautifully.  I may post some pre-paint photos today.

Dennis

Offline Umlaufmotor

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2024, 01:45:12 AM »
@djuggie

Hello Dennis,
I built this model years ago for a fellow model builder - I also had problems with the fit of the left engine cowling (part H15).
The motor is adjusted by four small plastic pins in the corresponding recesses of the motor mounts (parts A9 and A10).
If the engine sits in the center of the cowling lug when viewed from the front (the propeller shaft), then there is no assembly error.
This can be easily checked by placing Part A6 on the propeller shaft for inspection.

The problem actually lies with this small left-hand engine cover.
When I milled it a lot (!) thinner on the inside, it fitted perfectly....... well, at least much better than before.
It's also quite tight between the nose cowling and the front cylinder of the engine.
When accessory spark plugs are fitted, the left-hand nose fairing no longer fits either.
Using a small round file helps at this point.

I currently have the same model on my workbench again, the build report is here in the forum, - this time I will also mill the engine cover thinner again.

Servus
Bertl

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

Offline djuggie

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2024, 01:55:31 AM »
Bertl,
Thank you so very much for such an excellent and detailed description of how to fix the problem.  That will alert others on how to avoid the fit problem.  Love this forum.

Dennis

Offline djuggie

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2024, 09:59:56 AM »
March 28, 2024

It is time for the paint scheme.  Not being content with the kit color schemes, I ventured out into other regions.  In the mid 60's there was Profile Publications with this beautiful color scheme on the inside front cover.  My skills were no where ready for this scheme, so it sat for 30 years.  Then my customer wanted a Roland in 1/72 with this scheme.  So I did what every crazy person does.  I built two as he was not going to get a scheme I had always wanted.  This model is for the same customer but there is only to be one built.

After closing up the fuselage and painting it, I put my former drafting skills to work and took about 3 hours taping the fuselage.  The tape is Tamiya tape, cut to 2 mm.  I worked one side, then matched the other side.  Making everyone come together at the top was difficult but it doesn't look half bad.

At this point, a light blue was sprayed over the scale area and the dark blue was hand painted.  It is now just a matter of final assembly and I can begin my therapy sessions.  There must be a reason why I build the strange models.

Dennis

Online Davos522

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2024, 01:36:27 PM »
The men in the white coats are on their way, Dennis. Just thought I'd give you a heads-up :D

And drafting? I still have some of my old fountain-pen Rapidographs (the ones with the black barrels), and was just hunting around for my little stainless-steel erasing shield earlier. Talk about old-school!

Dutch