Author Topic: Fokker D.VII interior  (Read 806 times)

Offline hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
Fokker D.VII interior
« on: January 25, 2024, 07:44:58 PM »
The title says Fokker D.VII, but it is more a general question. I am building a pair of WnW Fokkers, one of them in streaking fabric, the other will be Du Doch Nicht.
I will be doing that last one painted red over lozenge decals, simply because I have the decals and they are more easy to replace then WnW kits, sadly.

The question is, how much red would shine through on the inside? Is it wise to tint/over spray the interior lozenge decals? And also, would any of the streaking be visable inside the cockpit?

Advise as well as opinions are very welcome!!

Hidde van der Donk from Holland

Online Davos522

Re: Fokker D.VII interior
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2024, 05:40:57 AM »
Interesting question... are you familiar with forum member Jamo's photo collections on SmugMug? There's a link in his profile... his photos of TVAL's newer streaky D.VII 286/18 show the interior as definitely showing the streaking on the inside. And his photos of the older ZK-FOD D.VII and newer E.Vs also show how translucent the repro lozenge fabric is in the sunlight. I'm not remembering whether the colors on the back of the real fabric were quite that intense (IIRC it was only printed on one side), but my guess is that, doped over with red you'd see the interior colors darkened somewhat, as it would cut down the amount of light getting through. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will weigh in with a definitive answer!

Tot ziens,

Dutch

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2024, 02:22:27 PM »
My opinion (value: $.02) is that the overpainted markings would not bleed through the lozenge as they would have already been doped with several coats. Dutch is correct that the flugzeugstoff "lozenge" was printed on one side only and did itself bleed through to the other side -- slightly -- as well represented by Aviattic as well as other vendors.

Offline hiddeous1973

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2024, 06:59:30 PM »
Sounds logical to me so far. I will look into the pictures mentioned and maybe do some light streaking imitation. For the Udet plane it might be a route to darken the Aviattic interior lozenge decals with some smoke, maybe a hint of red?
I will make a few trail runs with some scrap left over decal pieces

Thanks for the info!!

Online Davos522

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2024, 01:40:06 PM »
Hidde, I checked some Aviattic interior lozenge, and apparently Richard's research revealed pretty much what I was theorizing; he printed the fabric on Lothar's red-doped D.VII (bottom) a shade darker than the clear-doped linen on another D.VII sheet (above).

Dutch

Offline hiddeous1973

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2024, 07:23:32 PM »
I should have done that myself..... thanks!!
I think I can get a similar effect by using a grey instead of a white base color, have to try that.

many thanks, Hidde

Offline WD

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2024, 12:14:33 AM »
Thanks for this thread folks. I've got the Eduard "Fokker! Fokker!" boxing and want to do Udet's D.VIIF out of that boxing. I've got Aviattic's decal set for that, but I don't know that it has a separate interior decal for Udet's a/c, I bet it doesn't.  In the end I think I'll do what you suggest and use a grey base coat.

Warren