Author Topic: 1/72 Nieuport 27 RFC  (Read 1744 times)

Offline DaddyO

Re: 1/72 Nieuport 27 RFC
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2024, 05:53:20 AM »
Lovely. And, as we all agree, you can never have too many Nieuports.
I love this combination of French 5 colour camp and British roundels.
Sandy

Cheers Sandy  ;D
One of the appeals of this model was exactly that combination although it did cause a bit of scratching about for suitable decals (ended up using standard British ones from a very old Blue Rider sheet and adding larger red centres cut from some others). Not sure about the colours I used for the camoflauge in the end which didn't darken under varnish quite as much as I expected, but it certainly looks nice and bright next to its PC10 covered companions

Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2024, 06:07:48 AM »
I too love that camo with British markings. What a lovely wee thing, and the pilot looks spectacular. Bravo!
Zac in NZ

Offline NigelR

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2024, 06:35:09 PM »
Sorry to hear you've been unwell Paul, hope you are fighting fit again.

This is a superb build, lovely and sharp with the just the right amount of weathering and fabric detailing for the scale (IMO of course). She looks lovely, and the figure is beautifully painted as always, glad you could put it to use. Looking forward to seeing this in the flesh soon....

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2024, 06:42:19 PM »
I too love that camo with British markings. What a lovely wee thing, and the pilot looks spectacular. Bravo!

Cheers Zac  ;D

Sorry to hear you've been unwell Paul, hope you are fighting fit again.

This is a superb build, lovely and sharp with the just the right amount of weathering and fabric detailing for the scale (IMO of course). She looks lovely, and the figure is beautifully painted as always, glad you could put it to use. Looking forward to seeing this in the flesh soon....

Thanks Nigel. Turned out okay in the end although I got a bit tied up with details as usual and was pleased with the RFC chappie who helped bring it to life. I'll bring it to Bovy next month hopefully with something else . . . ;)

Offline DaveB

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2024, 05:09:22 AM »
Nicely done, Paul.

Well displayed on your base too.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2024, 06:12:30 AM »
Beautifully done Paul, a great looking little Nieuport!

Cheers,

BC

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2024, 06:25:19 PM »
Nicely done, Paul.

Well displayed on your base too.

Regards

Dave

Thanks Dave  ;D
I always like to put the model on a base. With the smaller ones it also adds a bit of 'gravitas' to them when displayed alongside the larger scales.

Beautifully done Paul, a great looking little Nieuport!

Cheers,

BC

Cheers Brad ;D

Still at that learning stage of modelling so I keep having to stop building to work out how to proceed, but getting better  ;)

Paul

Offline enathan

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2024, 07:00:46 PM »
Lovely Nieuport Paul, beautifully done!
I definitely prefer the five colour camo and with RFC markings. 

Offline WD

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2024, 03:56:52 AM »
Sorry to be late on this Paul, I thought I had commented earlier.

This is just a lovely build all the way around. I do love that tailskid, and I'm pondering how I'm going to address this on my current 1/72nd Nieuport builds.

As had been said: you can never have too many Nieuports, and that combo of camo and those roundels really makes it pop.

Warren

Offline macsporran

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2024, 04:34:00 AM »
Sandy

Cheers Sandy  ;D
One of the appeals of this model was exactly that combination although it did cause a bit of scratching about for suitable decals (ended up using standard British ones from a very old Blue Rider sheet and adding larger red centres cut from some others). Not sure about the colours I used for the camoflauge in the end which didn't darken under varnish quite as much as I expected, but it certainly looks nice and bright next to its PC10 covered companions

Paul

I know exactly what you mean Paul - I found the combination equally appealing with the 1/32 Roden N27 a couple of years ago. (Over in completed section.)  Like you I had to cobble together colours and decals.
I attach a wee thumbnail - please forgive intrusion into your thread, it's just to confirm my similar obsession!
Sandy

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2024, 06:10:04 AM »
Lovely Nieuport Paul, beautifully done!
I definitely prefer the five colour camo and with RFC markings.
Thanks matey  ;D

Sorry to be late on this Paul, I thought I had commented earlier.

This is just a lovely build all the way around. I do love that tailskid, and I'm pondering how I'm going to address this on my current 1/72nd Nieuport builds.

As had been said: you can never have too many Nieuports, and that combo of camo and those roundels really makes it pop.

Warren

Hi Warren - No a problem (I'm always reading threads and then doing the same  :)

Glad you like the build. (Hopefully I'll have a complete set of Nieuports at some point)
Tailskids are one of those little things that tend to be represented by a 'blob' in this scale, but I quite enjoy the challenge of making one up that looks a bit more realistic and paint can be used for a lot of smaller details. Plastic would be easier of course, but given my heavy handedness I prefer brass which isn't too difficult to work with.
NB - model railway suppliers often have very thin gauge strips which I sometimes use for struts (The cabane ones on this are all made from brass, but I filed from brass wire to section before cutting for them on this occasion)

Sandy

Cheers Sandy  ;D

Paul

I know exactly what you mean Paul - I found the combination equally appealing with the 1/32 Roden N27 a couple of years ago. (Over in completed section.)  Like you I had to cobble together colours and decals.
I attach a wee thumbnail - please forgive intrusion into your thread, it's just to confirm my similar obsession!
Sandy

Intrude away Sandy  ;D
Lovely job on yours, by the way - I'm bvecoming more attracted to the RFC mounts so expect a few others later this year, possibly even a pusher  . . .

Cheers
Paul

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2024, 09:32:50 PM »
Sandy

Totally agree with Sandy about the 5color cammo and British markings. Excellent build Paul!

Offline ScottJ

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2024, 02:14:47 PM »
I've been away from the site for a while so have been remiss in sending replies...  A most excellent Nieuport 27 Paul, will be Mr. Redundant here and also agree that the camo scheme (and British insignia) really add to the attraction of this model.  And the tail skid as well as the Lewis mount look great!  You've got to be happy with how those turned out.  I've had a soft spot for the 27 as years ago it was my first attempt at scratch building... converting from a Revell Nieuport 17c with mixed (questionable) results. 
You can't grub with the sparrows when you've flown with the hawks... 
E.P. Janney?

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2024, 06:22:51 PM »
Glad you both like it, certainly it stands out among the others (I've a hankering to do a Belgian model for the same reason; possibly a Camel or 1 1/2 strutter)

The 27 is a nice looking aircraft anyway (as you know ScottJ) which always helps IMO when you are struggling a bit with a build. Not sure I'd have tried converting a 17 to a 27, but I'm sure you learned a lot and had a lot of fun in the process which is what it's all about  :)  That said I was reading an old article about converting a DH4 or 504 to an FE8 which is another on my to do list . . . .

Incidentally anyone built the Choroszy FE8?

Paul

Offline IanB

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2024, 01:23:53 AM »
Beautifully done!
Good luck with the 28 - the Revell kit needs quite a bit of work to get it reasonable, but it's do-able.

Ian