Author Topic: Albatros W4 and Phonix  (Read 3276 times)

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
Albatros W4 and Phonix
« on: January 12, 2024, 09:55:45 PM »
Hi all,
Lucas at 'Lukgraph' hinted in an email reply to me of possibly the next model releases.
The Albatros W4 float plane and an Austro-Hungarian Phonix.
Both welcome additions to the WW1 collections,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline Flik63J

Re: Albatros W4 and Phonix
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2024, 10:40:29 PM »
This would fit with their release schedule announced last year. I am still excited by the Albatros W4……but also still wondering about the two ‘ ? ? surprise ‘ releases! What do we think they might possibly be?

I had the same experience with the Halberstadt, although only two broken pieces. I am waiting for delivery of the replacement parts. It seemed to me that some of the 3D printed parts were finer (thinner) than on their previous kits, but perhaps there is also some change to the material? Anyway, I hope Lukasz will look at this and also the packaging used before the Albatros is ready!

David

Offline fruibal

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2024, 08:10:25 AM »
Finally I just ordered one of those super expensive Lukagraph kits and it felll short my expectations. Broken and missing parts, bare bones cockpit, warped wing, confusing/incomplete/cheap paper instruction manual, not even a story preface of the airplane, in summary it does not represent the money value being charged ....
« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 08:40:17 AM by fruibal »

Offline NigelR

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2024, 07:42:23 PM »
Finally I just ordered one of those super expensive Lukagraph kits and it felll short my expectations. Broken and missing parts, bare bones cockpit, warped wing, confusing/incomplete/cheap paper instruction manual, not even a story preface of the airplane, in summary it does not represent the money value being charged ....
I also find the LukGraph kits disappointing for their cost but one thing I will say is that their customer service is great - if you have any broken/missing parts just email them and they will replace them. They did this for me very quickly and you can't argue with that.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 08:20:11 PM by NigelR »

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2024, 09:05:58 PM »
Hi Nigel,
Yes Lucas is very quick to respond to any problems,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline Davos522

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2024, 09:56:09 PM »
When I was involved with the original Copper State, one thing that I never found was a broken part (bent white metal, yes, but no damaged resin), because of those sturdy white top-opening boxes Eric used. When I got my first next-gen CSM kit from Edgar I burst out laughing (in pleasure!) when I found the same style of bomb-proof carton underneath the colorful "boxtop".

Never having seen a Lukgraph kit, I wonder if it's just a matter of packaging?

Dutch

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2024, 11:45:52 PM »
When I was involved with the original Copper State, one thing that I never found was a broken part (bent white metal, yes, but no damaged resin), because of those sturdy white top-opening boxes Eric used. When I got my first next-gen CSM kit from Edgar I burst out laughing (in pleasure!) when I found the same style of bomb-proof carton underneath the colorful "boxtop".

Never having seen a Lukgraph kit, I wonder if it's just a matter of packaging?

Dutch

The same style as CSM. Bomb-proof cardboard box with a colourful top.
It must be a question of securing the delicate parts inside the box - they are wrapped in bubble foil but not quite prevented from moving inside.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline petrov27

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2024, 12:48:37 AM »
Yes the Lukgraph kits are in a stout box; I have not had any breakage myself but the 3d printed stuff in particular seems very fragile.

I am unsure if 3d printed parts in their current state are ideal for things like struts and undercarriage - that is my biggest concern with the latest kits. Also I wish the rib tapes were done differently as they are very heavy/prominent at least on the couple recent kits I have purchased (maybe it is just me)

That said I am very grateful for Lukgraph continuing to produce 1/32 WW1 kits and look forward to see what they do in the future.
-Patrick

Offline Davos522

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2024, 12:54:32 AM »
Just out of curiosity, is it the 3D printed parts themselves that are breaking? Or is it the forest of tiny "sprues" that attach them to the bases? Or a combination of the two?

Dutch

Offline Flik63J

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2024, 03:11:10 AM »
It is the 3D printed parts themselves. Although they are wrapped in a single piece of bubblewrap, this does not appear to be sufficient to stop them moving around in the box during transit. The parts themselves seem to be becoming thinner and more delicate with each kit release.

Although we are still waiting for the Pfalz from Richard at Aviattic, the photos he has released show the Gaspatch 3D printed parts securely fitted into a foam container for transporting……..perhaps this is the way to go.

David

Offline NigelR

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2024, 07:51:55 PM »
It is the 3D printed parts themselves. Although they are wrapped in a single piece of bubblewrap, this does not appear to be sufficient to stop them moving around in the box during transit. The parts themselves seem to be becoming thinner and more delicate with each kit release.
I think this is the issue. I bought two Oeffag Albatri and the 3D printed parts are at a higher resolution than the Lloyd CV I bought (some in that kit were so low resolution they were not usable). This means they are thinner (which is a good thing) but more prone to breakage. However, in my two Albatri, only one part was broken, one of the undercarriage legs, which are quite thin. Lukasz replaced this very quickly at no charge when I emailed him.

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2024, 07:09:51 AM »
Hi all,
'Lukgraph' shots of the upcoming Albatros WD.4.
In 1:32nd and 1:24th scale,

Mike

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2024, 11:27:04 AM »
Looking forward to getting this one (to add to my Lukgraph collection).  As an aside, had a couple of broken 3D pieces and Lukas mailed me replacement parts unbelievably fast.  Great customer support!!!

Offline Umlaufmotor

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2024, 01:07:55 AM »
I hope that Lukgraph does not show the fuselage from the top to the side and from the side to the bottom as sharp-edged as the CAD drawings show.
That would not be correct.
These joints should be produced with a slight and gentle curve.
Exactly like the fuselage of the Albatros D.I or D.II.
The sharp edge from the lower wing leading edge to the sheet metal fairing on the nose of the airplane would also be incorrectly represented.

Servus
Bertl

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2024, 07:47:35 PM »
Hi Bertl,
Well spotted.
I also wonder about the keel of the floats.
The keels are not flat?

Mike