Author Topic: Revell 1/72 old mold Fokker Dr.I  (Read 899 times)

Offline Rick_H

Revell 1/72 old mold Fokker Dr.I
« on: January 04, 2024, 09:39:59 PM »
Lagging way behind djuggie, I still intend to build enough 1/72 triplanes to use up *many* of the various decals that are out there. (or "were" out there)

The trouble is that my stash includes a bunch of the old Revell-molded kit, in addition to a new Revell mold, and a few Roden and Eduard kits.  So I would like to ask of the massed brain-trust here, what needs to be done to work with the old Revell kt?  I know the ailerons need attention and the heavy stitching needs to come off the wings.  The interior needs to be spruced up.  Control horns need to be added while my patience lasts.  And the horrible wheels need attention of some kind - I have just been replacing them.

Any other ideas?
Thanks,
Rick in Seattle

Offline WD

Re: Revell 1/72 old mold Fokker Dr.I
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2024, 06:37:12 AM »
Sounds to me like you have it about covered Rick, at least as far as I know.

Warren

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2024, 07:55:44 AM »
An ambitious project Rick. My only addition is that the original Revell Oberursel engine needs to be replaced as well.  That being said, I feel the retooled Revell DR.1 is the best OOB kit in 1/72.
Good luck with your builds!

Tim

Offline Rick_H

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2024, 08:18:48 AM »
Thanks!

What needs help on the engine?
If it has to be replaced, then what's a suitable donor?
Could it be fixed with bits of plastic?

Rick in Seattle

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2024, 04:36:13 AM »
Rick,
For the limited amount of Dr.1’s I plan on building, I would replace the engine with Aeroclub. But if you are building in mass, then I probably wouldn’t bother due to expense and limited availability. Same goes for the Spandau guns.  I do agree that the wheels are a must replacement though.

Looking forward to seeing your results!
Tim

Offline Rick_H

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2024, 02:50:04 PM »
Thanks, Tim, that's good to hear.  I have a big pile of Aeroclub parts from three WWI phases ago (1980, I think).  Was wondering what I will do with them - hope I do have the right engine(s) for this. 

Agreed about replacing the guns - I found some 3D printed guns that look pretty good and put the kit's guns to shame.

Funny, way back then, my left hand said "stock up on those white metal parts to fix up the vacforms".  And my right hand said "How do you expect those spindly Contrail struts to support an aircraft with a pound of white metal parts onboard?".  Result: No vacforms finished yet.

Rick in Seattle

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2024, 06:59:03 AM »
The 3D printed Spandau guns look really promising, especially the Gaspatch ones. If you order the ones from Shapeways, please let me know what you think of them.  Just wondering how the cooling jackets will look in 1/72 scale.

Don’t worry about the weight of the metal parts on your vac kits. The Contrail strut stock is surprisingly rigid in our scale.

Offline WD

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2024, 03:55:52 AM »
The 3D printed Spandau guns look really promising, especially the Gaspatch ones. If you order the ones from Shapeways, please let me know what you think of them.  Just wondering how the cooling jackets will look in 1/72 scale.

Don’t worry about the weight of the metal parts on your vac kits. The Contrail strut stock is surprisingly rigid in our scale.

The cooling jackets on the Gaspatch Spandau's look great, but like you, I'm curious as to the ones from Shapeways.

Warren