Author Topic: Large-Scale Display Options?  (Read 1269 times)

Offline Davos522

Large-Scale Display Options?
« on: December 19, 2023, 01:01:06 AM »
Hi All. While contemplating my E.I project it suddenly occurred to me that I don't have Clue One as to what I’m going to do with it when it's completed. I can't just park it on a table or shelf, since a) every flat space in the house is already covered with books or art supplies or other highly-important impedimenta, and b) this guy:

... who really hasn't displayed much interest in my new work area, despite that picture (he was trying to figure out how to get up to the top shelf, where the WnW stash lives). But you never know.

I'm curious as to your solutions for display/storage... really big cabinets? Open/closed shelving? One of my favorite setups I've seen so far is Mike N's canted shelves for his acrylic cases, and as a former cabinetmaker that's eminently do-able. But that may be a bit too ambitious at this point.

Dutch

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
Re: Large-Scale Display Options?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2023, 07:29:20 AM »
Very interesting thread Dutch. I myself need to construct a display case for my collection so will appreciate any input the list has.

Offline NigelR

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2023, 07:58:14 PM »
I have a free standing display cabinet like this (but without LEDs, which made it much cheaper): https://www.displaysense.co.uk/products/black-glass-display-cabinet-800mm-dts800cbk

Offline PJ Fisher

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2023, 12:12:37 AM »
Maybe you could mount them in shadow boxes on the wall?

Offline macsporran

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2023, 04:32:25 AM »
Back when I was making 1/48 WWI models in the 90s I bought some 'Billy' units from Ikea (see pic) which fitted that scale perfectly, accommodating things like the Aurora Gotha easily. Also the cars and various other things I digressed into. However now I'm making 1/32 WWI models the Billy units are too narrow for larger two-seaters or the big WNW twin-engine jobs.
The Sopwith Strutter fits fine, but a Ninak would be a problem. This has rather dictated my choice of what to build next.

Ikea used to do a larger glass unit (whose daft name I've forgotten) but seem to have discontinued it now. I always intended to buy one, with some extra shelves but now kick myself that I didn't. Currently they do a 'Blaliden' glass unit but it's shelves are about 30x30cm internally so may need some careful measuring! (Don't seem to do extra shelves now, although a glazier could likely make some.)
HTH
Sandy 

Offline Nigttr

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2023, 09:21:16 PM »
If you can get them, the IKEA units referred to above are called Detolf. They have around 40x40cm internal space and can fit a 1/32 DH9. I was lucky and managed to get 5 units, and have doubled the number of shelves in them. Should keep me going for a while!

Offline Davos522

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2023, 02:51:04 AM »
Nigel, PJ, Sandy, and Nigel, thank you all for the ideas, they've given me a lot to think about. As a former cabinetmaker I might well end up building something that incorporates elements of all of them... but whatever eventual solution I end up going with it needs to have a footprint big enough to park the AEG in when it eventually gets done (so at least 12x24"). 

Neither of the IKEA units seem to be available here in the States, looking at their website they offer open shelving only. They've apparently rolled back their presence here; there used to be several stores within an hour's drive, but the nearest one now is about 75 miles away. Too bad, as in a lot of cases I couldn't even have bought the materials for what they were charging for the finished pieces.

Thanks again all!

Dutch

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2023, 06:51:13 AM »
I'm very familiar with the Detolf case thanks to another hobby of mine, collecting Transformers toys, as they are very popular in that fandom because of their size and versatility.

I have my eye on a few not-Ikea enclosed shelves from Kiwi shops, but on a student income it's a job for later.
Zac in NZ

Offline Davos522

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2023, 01:27:05 AM »
I've been looking for something similar up here, but there seems to be a void now that IKEA has downsized their US presence. My wife and I live in an 1850s farmhouse, which at some point got a really nice built-in corner china-cabinet, which is where my wife keeps her grandmother's set of Wedgewood. She walked past as I was eyeing it the other day, and simply said "No."

Dutch

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2023, 06:27:51 AM »
    Mind readers, aren't they Dutch?! My "Good Wife" took possession of my "model room" while I was putting the finishing touches on it shortly after we moved in here and I finished the lower level some 26 years ago, and it's been referred to as the "quilt room" since then. There was never any debate; like your experience she simply said "perfect!" and asked if I could please build her a pattern and cutting table. I quickly stated that we could always use one of those and started making saw dust! My model room is now the "nook" in the old roll top I use as a model bench but at least the tiny room it's in is MINE, all MINE! (or so I tell anyone who'll listen to my whining)  Meanwhile our respective Mother's Royal Albert china collections reside in what was going to be my liquor cabinet so at least the quilts didn't make it there. Win some, lose some is a fair concept I suppose .......

Cheers,
Lance