Author Topic: 1/24 Fujimi Porsche 356  (Read 1287 times)

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
1/24 Fujimi Porsche 356
« on: December 17, 2023, 10:33:16 AM »
I finished this after it spent over 10 years on my 'shelf of delay' - a 1/24 Fujimi Porsche 356 depicted as a fictious Carrera Panamericana racer from the mid-1950s.  I had completed the chassis years ago and then lost momentum on it and didn't complete it until now.  The hood did not fit properly, so I have opened the panels.

So this is another change of pace model for me.  I have just retired and now more time for model building.

Offline Davos522

Re: 1/24 Fujimi Porsche 356
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2023, 10:56:50 AM »
Love those litttle cars, and that's a beautiful representation of one, Ken. I knew a guy named Ali Lugo who raced in the CPA, he had a junker 356 in his backyard at one point, I think, although it probably wasn't the one he raced... hope not, anyway!

One of the best descriptions of any car I ever read was by the great automotive writer Tim Cahill, who referred to the early Porsches as "arrogant Volkswagens" :)

Dutch

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2023, 06:10:04 PM »
Nice model!

I own an actual veteran of the V CPA -- an Alfa Romeo 1900TI that ran as #265... and unfortunately crashed out on the 3rd stage on the 2nd day. The Alfas (there were about a dozen -- some factory, Mille Miglia prepped like mine) swept their class and astonished many reporters at the time as they carved through mountains and the twisty bits...

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2023, 07:10:33 PM »
Lovely model, Kensar. The cars of that era do have a charm.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Davos522

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2023, 12:27:32 AM »
I'm glad to see you kept the weathering to a minimum, too, Ken. I doubt I could have resisted the temptation to go overboard with the dust & dirt... I've had a 1:24 resin kit (Planet?) of Mad Max's "Interceptor" up in the Garage Loft of Doom (waaay too much volume for a mere Shelf!) for about twenty-five years, maybe this thread will inspire me to pull it down and solve the fisheye problem with the paint.

And you have to love that little Alfa, Bo, and what a great history! There's been a 1900 sitting outside my local Alfa shop for a couple of years now waiting to get worked on, the sight of which inspires lust in my heart every time I go by.

Dutch

Online macsporran

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2023, 02:24:31 AM »
Nice model, Ken - now you're making me wish I hadn't sold off all my 1/24 car stash!
Sandy

Offline kensar

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2023, 10:03:35 AM »
Thanks for checking in guys.
Bo - you own a piece of history!  I assume it can't be driven on the streets (legally), so is it just sitting out somewhere?

Thanks for the comment, Przemol.

Dutch - finish that Mad Max car as a change of pace - it will keep things interesting.

Sandy - I started building models with 1/24 and 1/12 cars.  I did them for 20 years before changing to aircraft, but I still have a few car kits around that I just couldn't get rid of. I keep saying I will build them someday.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2023, 01:56:24 PM »
Thanks for checking in guys.
Bo - you own a piece of history!  I assume it can't be driven on the streets (legally), so is it just sitting out somewhere?

It is (or at least will be) fully street legal -- at least here in the US. We are still in the process of restoring her. The MM and CPA mods incorporated into her are quite interesting -- among other things, a second fuel tank (identically the same stamping as the main tank), mounted above the main tank with a sleeve valve to dump the contents into the main tank via T-handle bowden cable under the dash. Also seat harnesses sourced from DH Vampire (yes! the jet fighter), tube headers, special brake cooling scoops, chronometric tach,  etc... 

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2023, 04:57:39 PM »
........"arrogant Volkswagens" :) ........
Such a great description  :)

Lovely Porsche Ken.

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2023, 06:55:06 AM »
What a terrific build Ken, I love it! Perfectly weathered (to my tastes, anyway). I really admire car builders.

I own an actual veteran of the V CPA -- an Alfa Romeo 1900TI that ran as #265
Is there a model kit available of that, Bo? It seems only right you should build a scale replica to go with the real deal (or serve as inspiration as you work on the latter).
Zac in NZ

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2023, 08:45:08 AM »
Awesome work as always Ken! You are a skilled Modeler no matter the subject!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2023, 11:33:33 AM »
What a terrific build Ken, I love it! Perfectly weathered (to my tastes, anyway). I really admire car builders.

I own an actual veteran of the V CPA -- an Alfa Romeo 1900TI that ran as #265
Is there a model kit available of that, Bo? It seems only right you should build a scale replica to go with the real deal (or serve as inspiration as you work on the latter).

I don’t want to further hijack Kensar’s thread, I apologize for interjecting my thing, just something that is a personal obsession — seriously, bravo—  Great build! — I will start another another thread. I have a lot to say about my journey with car 265 from a modeler’s / history freak’s perspective …

Offline kensar

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2024, 12:14:59 AM »
No apology necessary, Bo.  I like to see threads that spark conversation and interesting postings.
I would like to hear about your history with #265.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2024, 07:09:19 AM »
I had meant to preface my question with "Without wishing to derail this thread..."!
Zac in NZ

Offline AngryJazz

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2024, 07:47:21 PM »
Turned out beautifully! These early ish racers are really interesting  :)
//Ben