Author Topic: Removing Tamiya Acrylics  (Read 667 times)

Online Davos522

Removing Tamiya Acrylics
« on: December 09, 2023, 11:14:32 PM »
Hi All, wondering if there's a safe & reliable way to remove Tamiya enamels after they've dried? I thought I'd check before moving up the (increasingly aggressive) list of non-styrene-devouring solvents. Maybe I ought to try the enamel reducer we used at the collision shop I used to work at...?

All best,

Dutch

Offline Nigttr

Re: Removing Tamiya Acrylics
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2023, 12:12:39 AM »
Hi Dutch, you could try using Dettol antiseptic disinfectant liquid. Just soak the item for 4-6 hours and scrub off. As far as I can see it works on most paints, I’ve used it successfully on Tamiya gloss acrylics, but I think it works on enamels too. There are several websites showing how this works, this is the first one I just picked on. http://realmofchaos80s.blogspot.com/2014/01/how-to-use-dettol-to-best-clean-up.html

Nigel

Offline WD

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2023, 12:24:02 AM »
The only time I've done this is with Polly Scale Easy Lift Off. Friends tell me brake fluid works.

Sorry, I'm not much help here.

Warren

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2023, 07:37:40 AM »
Hi Dutch - i've stripped acrylic paint back with methylated spirits. It will take the paint off and leave the plastic alone.

Cheers,

BC

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2023, 12:06:55 PM »
While I've never done any model paint stripping myself, Dettol or DOT3 Brake fluid (don't use DOT5 as it contains silicon) seem to be what a lot of people use and recommend.
Eternal Apprentice

Offline Berman

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2023, 07:40:51 PM »
 In other parts of the world, methylated spirits is known as denatured alcohol.

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2023, 11:15:08 PM »
I’ll second or third the other’s opinion about brake fluid.  I’ve stripped three models so far with great results.  No smell, relatively easy cleanup, just be sure to wash it thoroughly with soap and water afterwards. 

Tim

Online Davos522

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2023, 12:59:36 AM »
Thanks all! I was going to start with methylated spirits (which is what I've always called them anyway despite being a Yank, it just sounds cooler), and then try brake cleaner, which Steve Perry told me to try years ago. But I've got a gallon of alcohol (which, confusingly, is also known as "white gas" here, I used to use it as fuel for my little Svea backpacking stove) in the garage so I can go ahead and strip my E.I (Early) floorboard after an ill-advised attempt to brush paint it the other night.

All best,

Dutch

Offline BobW

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2023, 02:45:28 AM »
Tamiya alcohol based acrylics can be readily stripped by Windex window cleaner.  Cheaper substitute window cleaners do not work because they do not have enough ammonia in the solution.

Online Davos522

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2023, 03:32:39 AM »
Bob

Well I'll be... actually my grocery-store brand blue glass cleaner was the first thing I tried before posting my question, but after reading your response I went to the kitchen and got some real Windex and bingo! Took it all off clean as a whistle.

Thanks!

Dutch