Author Topic: Clear Yellow or Orange Over Interior Woodwork???  (Read 1185 times)

Offline WD

Clear Yellow or Orange Over Interior Woodwork???
« on: November 19, 2023, 04:46:50 AM »
Forumites,
                I come seeking your wisdom, advice, and knowledge. I know folks will spray a clear yellow, or orange/yellow, overcoat on their wood-grained fuselages on their models of Albatri, and on wooden panels on Sopwith Camels, etc. However, I've got some interior woodwork on the cockpits of my 1/72nd Eduard Nieuport 17's, and to be honest, I think it looks pretty decent as it sits. Would you just let it go as is? Or, would you go ahead and spray on that yellow or orange clear coat?

Warren

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
Re: Clear Yellow or Orange Over Interior Woodwork???
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2023, 07:00:49 AM »
Hi Warren - simple answer is, it's your model, so if you're happy with it, then leave it :) Good news is that you also don't need to try and colour match it to an external fuselage colour like you do on your average Albatros.

Cheers,

BC

Offline WD

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2023, 09:30:19 AM »
Brad,
        True enough!  However, I was just wondering what the alter Hase around these parts were doing. On the other hand, so little of 1/72nd interiors gets seen anyway.

Warren

Online macsporran

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2023, 10:19:29 AM »
Hey Warren, FWIW I always used to spray Tamiya Clear Orange over my W&N oils for a wood finish until one day, mid-build, I found it had dried up and I didn't have a source nearby. I use a fast drying medium (W&N Artisan) with the oils and it has a very glossy finish which brings out the orangey tones in the dried umber and burnt sienna oils. I tried mixing more of this into the dried palette and got a very satisfying orange-ish varnish to give a final coat to the woodwork. You'll see the result on the Roden Strutter currently building. Anyway I now tend to use this rather than the Tamiya paint, but will occasionally vary for different areas (props etc)
My tuppence worth
Sandy

Online Davos522

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2023, 02:52:22 PM »
Hi Warren, are we talking about just the spruce longerons, or the mahogany ply panels that actually made up the front of the fuselage? The latter would definitely benefit from a deeper red-brown color, based on the interiors of the surviving Le Bourget N.11 and the N.17 in Belgium:

FWIW,

Dutch

Offline NigelR

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2023, 07:15:21 PM »
I never spray clear orange or yellow over my wood tones because I don't use Tamiya. I just use oils and varnishes to get the right finish. A thin wash or filter of burnt sienna imparts a lovely orangey tone.

So IMO no right or wrong. Like Brad said, it's up to you. If it looks good, leave it.

Offline WD

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2023, 12:09:58 AM »
Thanks folks!

Warren

Offline WD

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2023, 02:00:50 AM »
Well, this is what I have so far. My only saving grace is that in 1/72nd hardly any of this will be seen, and very few people will recognize my major orientation screw up, but I can't be sussed with it at this point.

Warren

Online Davos522

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2023, 02:31:31 AM »
Looks pretty good to me, Warren! And your orientation of the laminations is correct, based on what I found when researching the N.11/16. The second pic I posted was of the port cockpit wall of the Nieuport they restored at the army museum in Belgium (actually a 23), and you can see the same diagonal slant.

Dutch

Offline WD

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2023, 02:45:43 AM »
Looks pretty good to me, Warren! And your orientation of the laminations is correct, based on what I found when researching the N.11/16. The second pic I posted was of the port cockpit wall of the Nieuport they restored at the army museum in Belgium (actually a 23), and you can see the same diagonal slant.

Dutch

D'oh!  I thought I had it backwards!

Warren

Online Davos522

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2023, 11:48:32 PM »
On my 16 I decided to go with smooth mahogany ply without the diagonal laminations, based on the only surviving Bébé at Le Bourget. But on various period photos of the 17 you can make out the slanted strips on the outside surface even though the panels have been painted aluminum... which is kind of TMI for 1:72 ;)

Looking forward to seeing this little gem when you get it done!

Dutch

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2023, 04:39:14 AM »
In 1/72 I personally wouldn't do anything beyond the staining itself, but in larger scales I think I opt for Tamiya Orange. Sadly it's been so long since I worked on a WW1 kit I'm afraid I can't remember...the various kits waiting their turn are now glaring at me from the stash accusingly!
Zac in NZ

Online Davos522

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2023, 12:03:15 PM »
Sadly it's been so long since I worked on a WW1 kit I'm afraid I can't remember...the various kits waiting their turn are now glaring at me from the stash accusingly!

Wait about three decades or so, kid... :)

Dutch
« Last Edit: November 22, 2023, 12:34:25 AM by Davos522 »

Offline Rick_H

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2023, 02:41:34 PM »
Looking at my built N17, it seems to me that nobody would ever see the color of the overspray in the cockpit. 

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2023, 02:06:40 AM »
Sandy,
I don’t use the Tamiya clear orange. I just apply a thinned coat of Future for the varnished look.