Author Topic: Scratchbuilding wings in 72nd scale, part 1  (Read 696 times)

Offline Flamingo

Scratchbuilding wings in 72nd scale, part 1
« on: November 02, 2023, 11:44:24 PM »
Here is my way of preparing wing planks for 72nd scale in the kitchen:
A piece of 1.5 mm styrene is bent into a special cooking pot for wings asparagus, about 20 cm high and 16 cm diameter.

The plastic has to be longer than the diameter x 3.14. Press it in and mark two pencil lines.

Cut it longer than the marks and try again. It has to be a very tight fit. I made two cuts and it is till longer than the marks.

Now fill the pot with water and put it on the stove. To save time and energy use a lid. Mine is from larger pot so it does not touch the styrene.

Temperature is crucial, so use a cooking thermometer frequently.

It is better to start with less heat, no problem to repeat if the curve is not tight enough. Too much heat may damage your styrene beyond use.

My stuff was good at 87° C, but next sheet might be different. I let it cool down naturely.

Now cut off strips of the required chord with some margin, this should give you raw planks for some 20 models.

1 mm material or thinner does not work this way, but it works if two layers are used, the thicker being the inner one. 

With these planks very little sanding of undersides is required.

For a flatter profile just place the trailing edge a little higher.

Hope some may find this useful

Joachim

Offline Davos522

Re: Scratchbuilding wings in 72nd scale, part 1
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2023, 11:50:37 PM »
Very interesting system, Joachim, thanks for sharing it! And I just happen to have one of those asparagus wing-pots in the kitchen too! Mine even has a basket so you can pull the whole thing out without resorting to tongs.

Dutch

Offline WD

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2023, 12:48:28 AM »
What a great idea to put in our tool box of modeling tricks!

Thank you!

Warren

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2023, 02:45:41 AM »
This has lots of applications! I would think bigger pot, thicker plastic etc etc could work for 1/48..maybe even 1/32 for short spans...

Steve

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2023, 07:41:19 PM »
That's brilliant Joachim!

I bookmarked this one  ;)

Would it work the other way around to straighten curved styrene? A while back I bought 4 sheets 0.5 x 140 x 100 mm styrene sheet. Or so I thought....

I was delivered in a big tube. Turned out to be 0.5 x 1400 x 1000 mm sheets. Paid only € 32.00 for it though.

I tried this, but it didnt work:

You could try placing the styrene between two minimum 5mm thick sheets of absolutely clean glass. Place in direct sunlight. Check every thirty to sixty minutes depending on the temperature.

I wouldn't need a 50 gallon asparagus pot; I'd cut of strips of the length I need.

Willem
« Last Edit: November 03, 2023, 09:56:33 PM by Rookie »