Author Topic: Complete Spandau Machine Gun Setup; spent shell chute  (Read 2269 times)

Offline modelmgl

Complete Spandau Machine Gun Setup; spent shell chute
« on: February 06, 2013, 09:00:17 AM »
If you are interested in shell ejector chutes for Fokker Dr.1 and D.VII aircraft please visit the "Complete Spandau Machine Gun Setup" on line.  I do not know if these chutes were used on other aircraft.

If anyone has a list of aircraft which used these chutes please let me know.  Also, if anyone has replicated these chutes in 1/32 scale please give details and pictures.

I have tried to include the URL link below but, as I'm familiar with Yahoo Mail, I can't seem to get the link to work.

I hope you will find the information interesting and useful.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/landoni/5260230156/

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
Re: Complete Spandau Machine Gun Setup; spent shell chute
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 06:43:23 PM »
Yes these chutes are a usually missed and difficult to spot item in perios photos.

these pics make clearer the way they work and are constructed. You can see them clearly in the well documented pic of Australian soldiers examining M. von Richtofen's guns after his fatal crash though the pic you found give better detail.
I think the left on a D.VII though replicates the shape of the right more. Something I will be adding to my build.

It would seem thesechutes had a habit of spitting the hot empty cases into the cockpit, Goerring at least had deflectors made to stop that.

As for replicating in 1/32nd.... hmm  shaped beercan  or smash moulding may be easiest I'm guessing. When I get ther I'll post my findings.

TY for bringing tis up though.

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 12:45:55 AM »
Keith,
   I'm thinking aluminum sheet cut from disposable pie and cooking containers. Tom Morgan told me he sources much of his scratch building stocks from these and I bought a lifetime's supply at a local "Dollar" Store after hearing about it. It will be a while before I get to my Fokkers however when I saw this reference earlier I thought I'd try them using the aluminum; thin, cheap, pliable, and easier to manage then the beer tin aluminum I would think.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 01:08:40 AM »
Keith,
   I'm thinking aluminum sheet cut from disposable pie and cooking containers. Tom Morgan told me he sources much of his scratch building stocks from these and I bought a lifetime's supply at a local "Dollar" Store after hearing about it. It will be a while before I get to my Fokkers however when I saw this reference earlier I thought I'd try them using the aluminum; thin, cheap, pliable, and easier to manage then the beer tin aluminum I would think.
Cheers,
Lance

That's what I used for my spent cart belt chute on my d.v...

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 05:31:31 AM »
Thanks for sharing the link. First time I have come across this detail before, so very interesting!
Cheers
James
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 09:46:31 AM »
Keith,
Cheers,
Lance

That's what I used for my spent cart belt chute on my d.v...

Gotta make something similar for my D.VII I'm working on ATM (would seem late OAW machines (some at least) had rectanguar belt chutes from the pics I have.)

Nice pointer Lance Thanks. TY
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 07:56:05 AM »
what i also find quite interesting is the 3rd of the the 4 photos below the large image on the link page which shows detail on the spring cover. it is usually present on molded plastic spandaus as a slot on the cover but this shows that there are graduated numbers and a slotted set screw. for what adjustment i have no clue. perhaps fire rate?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 08:00:33 AM by ALBATROS1234 »

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 12:14:45 PM »
what i also find quite interesting is the 3rd of the the 4 photos below the large image on the link page which shows detail on the spring cover. it is usually present on molded plastic spandaus as a slot on the cover but this shows that there are graduated numbers and a slotted set screw. for what adjustment i have no clue. perhaps fire rate?

Yes. That is indeed what that does.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 04:05:02 AM »
Handy reference. Thank you

Steve