Author Topic: Breguet 14 Scissors and Planes 1/100 - Brigada Militar do Rio Grande do Sul  (Read 3464 times)

Offline gomidefilho

Re: Breguet 14 Scissors and Planes 1/100 - Brigada Militar do Rio Grande do Sul
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2024, 12:34:30 PM »
Sorry for lack of updates, but now is time to summarized the construction of the Breguet 14, preparing the parts for the construction of the gluing jig, landing gear, tail ski and smaller parts are glued in this stage.

As we mentioned previously, the Breguet 14s were used for observation and because they were already quite worn-out second-hand aircraft, they did not survive long. Although the Military Brigade established a landing field in Varzea de Gravataí with a guard corps, hangars, offices and workshops, with the fall of the BM-1 and the lack of parts to keep the BM-2 operating, the Military Brigade's air service It was extinguished in 1924 and was only reestablished in the 1960s.

In the two photos we see a soldier carrying a 35 kg stun bomb launched by the Breguet 14 and in the second photo, Ensigns Noemio Ferraz and Osório de Oliveira Antunes, the Service's main pilots, note that Osório uses BAR rifle used both from the air , as a defense in case the plane suffered a breakdown. The two planes made more than 50 reconnaissance sorties in search of Caudilho Honório Lemes, this rebel leader commanding an army of 1000 soldiers on horseback had not yet been defeated in the central region of the state, making use of his in-depth knowledge of the region dominated by mountains, hills, valleys and coxilhas (small rolling hills) escaped the legalist forces. In one of these missions, the BM-1 suffered an engine failure between the cities of Cachoeira do Sul and Caçapava do Sul, crashing and catching fire, the pilot Noemio was seriously injured and Osório burned to death in the wreckage of the plane. Despite their limited use, the Breguet 14 planes were fundamental in clarifying and anticipating movements of rebel troops, in a certain way forcing peace in the State as a strategic asset, which would only occur in 1924 with a political pact, where Governor Borges de Medeiros could not compromise. running again for the state, this opened the way for a young man called Getúlio Vargas, but that's another story.

Continue soon...  8)

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2024, 04:32:25 AM »
AWESOME!!!!!!

Dan

Offline Davos522

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2024, 01:21:33 PM »
Very interesting series of posts, I love the model, and the history as well!

Um abraço,

Dutch

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2024, 07:06:07 AM »
Another fascinating update! Thank you for sharing.
Zac in NZ

Offline gomidefilho

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2024, 03:00:31 PM »
Thanks my friends! I'm glad you like. In the weekend and next week I out make a small travel, but in the next weekend I hope have updates.  ;D

Offline gomidefilho

Hello I returned to the Breguet 14  8)

After a long time without posting due to professional commitments, summer holidays and other reasons, we are back.

We began a rigging study and installed the actuators for the movable tail surfaces on aircraft with 180g colored cardboard. Obviously the size is larger than normal to help with positioning when gluing. Once everything is dry we will cut it to the correct size to install the control cables.

I started pre-installation rigging of the jig, at this stage, tail control cables, empennage support cables, landing gear structure cables and central struts were installed on the Breguet 14.

I use it to simulate the cables pieces of broom bristle and wall brushes, glued with CA. We cut the excess parts that simulate the actuators made of gray colored cardboard with the help of nail pliers purchased at the Brazilian equivalent of “one dollar” stores. All cables on the Breguet 14 were installed according to my documentation. From this stage onwards the model goes to the upper wing assembly jig.

Offline Gene K

Great workmanship - glad you're back!

Gene K

Offline NigelR

Lovely work all round!

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
Welcome back, and it's great to see you right back in the thick of it!
Zac in NZ

Offline gomidefilho

Thanks my friends for the kind words!

Last night I had little time to spend at my workbench, so I bought a new chair for my workspace and then built and configured it. but I prepared the construction jig for the Breguet 14, this Jig will be used for the other models and is made in two layers, the first is what supports the main construction, the second is what supports the wing from above for the correct gluing of the struts. The second layer of the jig is modular, with the struts glued we remove it and we can glue the interplane cables. Tonight I intend to "pin" the plane to begin the final stage of construction.

My homemade jigs, as I already mentioned, are made from high-density Styrofoam (in Brazil it is called Depron) which comes from sheets purchased in local stores as well as from food trays and pizza supports. The layers as well as the pieces are cut with Styrofoam cutting tools and also common cutters. The jig gluing is done to Styrofoam glue / E.V.A.

Nice job!  It looks so much bigger than it actually is.  The shot on your hand really puts it in perspective.

Neat-ohhhhhh!

Dan

Offline Davos522

Exquisite!

Dutch

Offline gomidefilho

Thanks my friends!

We are back. For those of you who are Catholic, I hope you had a good Friday holiday.  ;D

This week we continued work on the Breguet XIV, pinning the model and immobilizing it to apply the top wing support jig.

As I already mentioned, my jigs are made with homemade material, popsicle wood, toothpicks, scraps and pins of different sizes.

We start gluing the wing through the central strut with white PVA glue, with everything dry and always keeping an eye on alignment, we start gluing the wing struts from the inside out, note that the wings were also immobilized in the jigs, to ensure that nothing will be glued warped.

:)

Offline gomidefilho

Once everything is dry, we remove the gluing jig from the wing. Note that the struts will still go through a reinforcement process with a layer of CA glue and then full painting.

Continue soon...  8)

Nice clean work and cool jig.  And Happy Good Friday to you!!

Dan