Author Topic: 1/32 Roden Siemens-Schukert D.III  (Read 1685 times)

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
1/32 Roden Siemens-Schukert D.III
« on: September 23, 2023, 09:58:13 AM »
This Roden kit was built pretty well straight OOB.  I did the best I could with the funky colored lozenge and poor fitting upper engine decking. 

Thanks for looking in!

Tim

Offline Davos522

Re: 1/32 Roden Siemens-Schukert D.III
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2023, 10:52:53 PM »
Funky lozenge or not, that's one beautiful model, Tim. Love the ply fuselage!

I was just looking at this kit online yesterday, but ended up ordering a couple of other Roden releases instead. Hopefully the passing of the founder won't mean the company goes out of business...

Dutch

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2023, 11:23:28 PM »
Thank you Dutch.  Overall, this is a wonderful kit. I’m not into bashing Roden because they have certainly contributed so much to this era of modeling. But the fit issues that I encountered on this one are definitely not from my ham fisted construction. This model certainly needs a lot of attention. Especially if you are concerned with WNW fit accuracy!

Problematic areas for me:

Offline Davos522

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2023, 11:54:41 PM »
You'd never know it from the photos, Tim. But we all tend to be more critical of our own work...

I ordered the Roden Strutter yesterday from UA-Hobby in Kiev, which I understand is made to a higher standard of fit than the older offerings. I also got their D.H.2 and the SPAD VII... they'll be my first Roden kits ever, so I'm looking forward to seeing them.

Again, great build!

Dutch

Offline petrov27

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2023, 11:57:29 PM »
Wow - fantastic build and finish - really great and even the kit lozenge has come out good.

Love this kit despite the challenges - seeing yours now I want to build another :)
-Patrick

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2023, 03:37:32 AM »
Excellent model - in spite of the fit issues and the slightly odd lozenge.

Roden have certainly produced some very interesting kits over the years and done our hobby a great service.

Stephen.

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2023, 08:27:11 AM »
Well done !!

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Online macsporran

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2023, 07:18:24 PM »
Great result Tim, from quite a quirky kit and you've certainly improved the Roden lozenge. Good to see you continuing the 1/32 trend.
Dutch - the Roden kits are variable but you must try the Albatros D.I/IIIs - they're really nice kits, and in my opinion better than the WNW D.V/a in several respects. Avoid the Nieuport 24/27: it's comparable to your A-model, but all the others are perfectly buildable with some care.
Sandy

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2023, 12:21:20 AM »
Excellent model - in spite of the fit issues and the slightly odd lozenge.

Roden have certainly produced some very interesting kits over the years and done our hobby a great service.

Stephen.

Tim,
    Very nicely done all round, I particularly like the scheme you've chosen and I hope to do another of these in a stained wood finish like yours some day.
    I echo Stephen's praise of Roden's products and contributions. I built this Kit years ago and yes, it can be a bit of a challenge but with a little care and effort builds into a beautiful model. Brengun makes a very nice set of PE panels and accessories for the kit (in stock at Hannants, Product BRL32014) and along with  After Market Lozenge Decals from Aviattic it is still my favorite model in the display case despite a slightly bowed upper wing which I should have corrected in the building stage ........

(https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=6768.msg124171#msg124171

As Sandy points out Roden's products are generally really nice and in some instances rival WNW standards. Congratulations on a fine model!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Davos522

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2023, 12:11:36 PM »
I just love this model the more I look at it, Tim, there's something about that ply finish that just keeps nudging me in the ribs and whispering Hey... psst, hey Dutch... you really need to try this...

And Sandy, I very nearly pushed the button on both the Roden Alb. D.I and D.III the other night instead of the SPAD and D.H.2. But we'll see how the order from UA-hobby goes, my last order from Kiev went really well and if this one does likewise I'll snag 'em next time.

And thanks for that link to your build, Lance, I really enjoyed seeing it!

Dutch

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2023, 08:42:41 PM »
Lovely. Losenge may indeed be funky but it IS a FINE model.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline William Adair

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2023, 08:57:13 PM »
Well done Tim. I really like the dark natural wood finish and the careful work on the lozenge scheme. I never realised the D.III had ailerons on the lower wing! :0

Offline djuggie

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2023, 06:01:15 AM »
Tim,

Very nice build on a very interesting aircraft.  Very good job.

Dennis

Offline NigelR

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2023, 07:31:04 AM »
A very attractive aircraft and a very attractive build of a challenging kit, well done.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2023, 11:43:54 AM »
A little brute of an aeroplane - like a Great War Fw-190 - and a great model. The result betrays none of the problems you encountered, bravo and thank you for sharing!
Zac in NZ