Author Topic: Infiniti Models DeHavilland Vampire Mk.3 RCAF  (Read 2046 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Infiniti Models DeHavilland Vampire Mk.3 RCAF
« on: August 13, 2023, 12:49:59 AM »
    A few photos of the latest addition to my RCAF Fighter shelf; Infinity's take on the classic post WWII Jet Fighter. Canada purchased 87 Vampires for it's entry into the jet age of flight and they served in both Regular and Reserve Squadrons from 1948 until 1957. This Kit is a real challenge; in fact I came very close to "binning it" on several occasions. I can honestly say that was a new experience for me. The engineering of the kit, poor fit along with lack of alignment pins, vague instructions, and a a general similarity to the first injection models I built as a youngster over 70 years past provided an outstanding opportunity to improve my talents in the profanity department, never a shortcoming around here!
    On the brighter side the details are generally well done, the decals of reasonable quality, and the subject is extremely attractive. I used wheels and tires from ResKit in the Ukraine (great products and service in my experience) and a mix of the kit decals and custom ones from Above & Below Scale Graphics of Canada, another of my favorite suppliers. The main scratch built additions were in the cockpit and proved worth the effort.

The nose art is hard to beat!

She won't be debuting at any contests however I'm pleased to have her in the cabinet.
Cheers,
Lance
« Last Edit: August 13, 2023, 04:23:21 AM by lcarroll »

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Re: Infiniti Models DeHavilland Vampire Mk.3 RCAF
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2023, 01:17:31 AM »
That looks pretty cool. Infiniti seems to be doing interesting subjects but not doing them justice. The Helldiver is pretty rough too. I think they started as resin kits.

Steve

Offline AngryJazz

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2023, 04:25:18 AM »
Lovely model and great work! I really like the scheme, never seen that before.
Instruments / cockpit is really stunning  :D
//Ben

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2023, 04:27:20 AM »
Nice! What scale is this Lance?

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2023, 07:18:34 AM »
Exquisite work that betrays none of the hassles you encountered. Bravo Lance, and thanks for sharing! I always enjoy seeing a Vampire.
Zac in NZ

Online Davos522

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2023, 11:24:40 AM »
Absolutely beautiful work, Lance. I had to laugh when you mentioned the kits you dealt with seven decades ago, I built my first Aurora "Famous Fighters" N.11  in 1962 (with my brother's help!) so I was a little bit farther up the timeline than you, but not by much!

Dave V.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2023, 01:44:32 PM »
     Many thanks all for your generous comments! Uncletony, it's 1:32 Scale. Dave, my first injection molded styrene kit was Aurora's Hellcat around 1954 or 55 as I recall. What a step up the ladder of progress that was! The famous Fighters WWI Kits were spectacular back in those days when they debuted shortly after the WWII subjects.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Borsos

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2023, 05:14:12 AM »
Very nice model, but I am not happy that you had troubles due to poor kit quality here too. I have Infinitys Helldiver which receives only the worst reviews and also picked up their Val. So I hoped that it’s just the Helldiver and the rest if their kits would be fine…
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2023, 02:49:29 PM »
Brilliant work, Lance! I've been wondering what you've been busy with lately. Awesome job on such an interesting subject. Not sure if you've got to see that two-seater they have flying lately which was at the show in Villeneuve recently.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2023, 12:38:59 AM »
    Thank you Andreas and Gary. I missed seeing the dual seat version here on it's visit, it would have been neat to do so. I was not happy with the Kit's building "experience" and have seen similar assessments on other sites however it is a good test of one's basic modelling techniques and skills!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2023, 08:17:55 AM »
That is a super model Lance - nothing to be ashamed of there. A few little niggles along the way are useful reminders of how kits have changed since we were  many decades younger..... The colour scheme is very striking and even if the model will only reside in your cabinet, I hope that it will be in the front row.

Stephen.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2023, 01:03:33 AM »
   Thank you for your kind comments Stephen. So true, we forget how spoiled we are these days with the marvels of technology that are part of the hobby!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RichieW

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2023, 08:17:18 AM »
That's really beautiful Lance, I can't imagine why it won't be making an appearance on the competition table. To my eye it looks absolutely stunning. I would be so proud if I had made it!

Richie

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2023, 08:30:15 AM »
Outstanding Vampire Lance! The construction and finish is excellent and you've chosen a very interesting scheme. Well done, sir!

Cheers,

BC

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2023, 07:41:07 AM »
Thank you both, your generous comments are very much appreciated. I've always said that we model builders are our own worst critics however this one really took me for quite a ride, and it shows in several places I avoided at camera time! ;)
Cheers,
Lance