Author Topic: Observer , A J Insall  (Read 1051 times)

Offline SimonCornes

Observer , A J Insall
« on: August 12, 2023, 07:07:51 PM »
Just finished reading this book. I became aware of it after picking ups and reading a copy of the Windsock on the Vickers FB5 (for all of £2.50 !!) and seeing references to the book therein. I managed ti find a fairly inexpensive copy via Amazon - an ex library book printed in 1970 which showed the ravages of time and use but the contents are so very readable. It makes me wish that the likes of Wingnut, Roden or Copper State had produced an FB.5 'fighter' a machine that flew backwards at times!! But there is always hope!

Offline Davos522

Re: Observer , A J Insall
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2023, 10:24:26 PM »
Thanks for posting this... I just found a copy here in the States for about $15 and ordered it. Always loved the F.B.5, it's got such an interesting mix of colors and materials. Naimbs's build of the Blue Max Gunbus over the past few months has been a joy to watch—particularly in the way that he overcame the limitations of the original kit—and I'm completely with you RE: wishing there were a WnW (read: CSM/Lukagraph) caliber kit available. We can always hope!

Cheers,

Dave V.

Offline SimonCornes

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2023, 02:44:42 AM »
Yep, definitely a subject for one of the current kit manufacturers. Mind you with Roden doing both a 504K and a 1 1/2 Strutter were being pretty well served by thd manufacturers.
I hope you enjoy that book, part of it could form the basis of a good film I’d say!!

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2023, 07:13:45 AM »
Another FB.5 fan here keen to do one - preferably 1/48 although 1/1 would be fun - and I'm very envious of your Windsock bargain, Simon! I'll have to track down Observer as it sounds like a great read.
Zac in NZ

Offline SimonCornes

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2023, 08:20:07 AM »
A book that could stand being reprinted I’d say.

Offline Davos522

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2023, 11:00:56 AM »
Just a post-script, I got my copy a week or so ago (surprisingly, a first UK edition from 1970; not bad for $15) and am juggling reading it along with Gone to Russia to Fight: The RAF in South Russia, 1918-1920. Of the two, Observer is the more compelling read, although I wish it was illustrated. Great memoir nevertheless.

Dutch