Author Topic: 1/24 Spitfire Mk Ia Airfix 1970 boxing  (Read 3665 times)

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Re: 1/24 Spitfire Mk Ia Airfix 1970 boxing
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2023, 10:00:58 PM »
I've only just now found this thread and I have to say it's very impressive.
It may not take much more effort for you to design a complete Spitfire and then be able to resize into different scales, making it available on your website.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2023, 10:39:11 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys :)

It may not take much more effort for you to design a complete Spitfire and then be able to resize into different scales, making it available on your website.

:) You aren't the first person to suggest simply binning the kit and redoing the entire thing. It's true there won't be a lot left of the original kit when I'm done... But styrene is for sure better suited to large pieces than even my special resin brew. Printing really large parts is also quite time consuming at full resolution, and the longer the print job, the greater likelihood that something will get boogered up. I am thinking about how to package a replacement cockpit that the average modeler would not be overly daunted by -- so maybe replacing the entire center section of the fuselage might be the answer. Not sure. There is also the Trumpeter Mk V that needs love in this regard.

As for other scales --  stuff doesn't scale up and down quite as easily as you might expect, as one always has to take wall and wire sizes into account. That said, eyes firmly set on producing detail parts for the really excellent Kotare kits (I've already done the radiator in 1/32)... as for 1/48 & 1/72 ... not sure, maybe a few things I could bring to those parties.

Thanks for reading!

Offline Borsos

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2023, 11:09:15 PM »
Not really my scale but looking great!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2023, 01:01:40 PM »
Progress on the interior tub continues, but meanwhile, working on designing the throttle quadrant. Early and mid production Spitfires had a slightly simpler throttle quadrant with mixture and and throttle, switches for the stall warning horn and undercarriage down circuit indicator, and a boost cutout override. Notably, no propeller pitch control. (On the two-speed DH equipped a/c, the pitch control was a simple pull handle).

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2023, 07:28:16 AM »
First test print above mentioned throttle quadrant.

comparison with new (left) and old (right) tool airfix kit items:

Trial assembly -- a few things to fix, but mostly it goes together as planned.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2023, 12:54:08 PM »
As mentioned, work continues on the tub / cockpit interior panels. The lower tub is now made up of 7 pieces, 5 of which are at least in the preliminary design stage. The rear most side panels (between frames 12 - 14) are not ready to print.

The forward side panel is actually complete for all intents and purposes. The large "rivets" are the back sides of the fillet screws.

For reference, here are the similar parts for the Airfix Mk IXc 1/24:

and the 1/32 Kotare Mk I:

Offline Davos522

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2023, 11:26:51 PM »
I should just start tying a bandage around my head to keep my jaw from dropping before I look at this thread...

Dave V.

Offline AngryJazz

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2023, 05:37:54 AM »
Just catching up... Wow just wow! Incredible work!
//Ben

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2023, 10:04:28 AM »
Man oh man, this is simply stunning to behold.
Zac in NZ

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2023, 12:50:54 PM »
Thanks Ben & Zac!

Next up, the manual hydraulic pump and selector for the landing gear retraction. The first batches of Spitfires left the factory with manually powered gear pumps, which were adapted from units sourced from Supermarine Walruses --with the expedient of bending the long pump handle nearly 90° to fit in the cramped Spitfire cockpit.

When exactly Spitfire production transistioned away from this system to the engine-driven pump is a little bit of a mystery, as it seems that the powered version was planned and designed in from the outset but initially left off in the interest of conserving engine power -- or maybe there was a shortage of engine driven pumps -- the exact reason might be lost to time. FWIW, the switch to powered undercarriage retraction does not appear in the exhaustive list of modifications presented in the definitive Morgan & Shacklady Spitfire history --  strongly suggesting the powered version was not a "modification" at all. Moreover early pilot manuals and training films mention both systems.

My version comprises three printed pieces, with axles (and optionally pushrods) to be created with brass tubing or wire. Carefully assembled, the pump lever can swing freely and the selector lever can move and lock into each of the two detents. It should be possible to add the pushrods -- I was in a hurry to do a basic test fit, so I haven't attempted to do so yet.

Kotare 1/32 on the left, Airfix 1/24 (Old Tool) on right.  The Airfix 1/24 part is measurably smaller than the 1/32 Kotare item(!) While I couldn't find drawings with precise dimensions for this unit, via interpolation I am confident I am close. (And my part is essentially 1.5x the size of the Kotare part)

« Last Edit: August 12, 2023, 01:57:47 PM by uncletony »

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2023, 07:21:13 AM »
I think that's dead-on, your version looks fantastic! It's truly staggering to see how far we've come in 53 (sorry) years.
Zac in NZ

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2023, 12:39:51 AM »
Apparently when the manual gear retraction was used the pilot had to switch hands on the joystick to pump the gear up. With each stroke the pilot would also unintentionally slightly push/pull the joystick. Scrambled Spitfires looked like a school of dolphins taking off.

Steve
« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 12:44:51 AM by pepperman42 »

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2023, 11:49:13 AM »
Apparently when the manual gear retraction was used the pilot had to switch hands on the joystick to pump the gear up. With each stroke the pilot would also unintentionally slightly push/pull the joystick. Scrambled Spitfires looked like a school of dolphins taking off.

Steve

Right! I believe this was depicted in the “Piece of Cake” mini series on BBC…

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2023, 03:16:36 PM »
More development of the complicated structure that supports the rudder bar and control column, and serves as a kind of floor board. This area seems to get glossed over in most treatments of this subject. My first try parts for the central structure has some minor fit issues; v2 is in the hopper...

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2023, 03:43:39 PM »
Renders of the next iteration. Frame 9 as well as the floorboard/ kickplate rudder support/ whatacallit structure has been extensively modified in hopes of getting the fit to coalesce. Parts are curing now!