Author Topic: 1/24 Spitfire Mk Ia Airfix 1970 boxing  (Read 3662 times)

Offline RichieW

Re: 1/24 Spitfire Mk Ia Airfix 1970 boxing
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2023, 08:24:17 AM »
Some scarily brilliant work and a huge amount knowledge you are pouring into this project. It's going to be so beautiful!

Richie

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2023, 02:17:29 PM »
Some scarily brilliant work and a huge amount knowledge you are pouring into this project. It's going to be so beautiful!

Richie

Thanks Richie

Trial assembly -- learned a few things! but rudder bar and elevator control column both are functional...

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2023, 07:16:04 PM »
It is simply amazing what can be achieved with this 3D printing technology: provided that one has the time, patience and skill to use it!

Another wonderful, (and mind blowing), update!

Stephen.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2023, 10:44:10 PM »
Great detail, but how are you going to detail paint it?

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2023, 11:58:41 PM »
Great detail, but how are you going to detail paint it?

Have to figure out how to put it all together first. Once it’s worked out, I’ll remake a production version (these are low res, fast prints) to be painted before assembly per usual practice…

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2023, 10:42:07 AM »
a little more progress.

Online KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2023, 05:05:15 PM »
(these are low res, fast prints)
:o you could've fooled me! Wow!
Zac in NZ

Offline AngryJazz

« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2023, 05:46:52 PM »
Just keep getting impressed!

Also dont know how you get so perfect prints. My prints are usually not this clean. My latest print of a Vickers seat was not good enough, backrest was too soft/thin and the part was bulging out.
I have a ABS / flex resin I mixed, but I think I have to try a better suited resin for this task  :)
//Ben

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2023, 10:39:13 PM »
I have a ABS / flex resin I mixed, but I think I have to try a better suited resin for this task  :)

ABS is probably not the best starting point for detail parts (although should be strong!). My go-to is Phrozen Aqua 8K mixed with Siraya Tenacious at 9:1. Beyond that it's usually a matter of getting exposure and lift timing right. A good test model helps. Ameralabs has a great calibration test .stl file you can grab for free: https://ameralabs.com/blog/3d-printer-calibration-part/

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2023, 10:43:53 PM »
(these are low res, fast prints)
:o you could've fooled me! Wow!
yup, the stuff shown above was all done @ 50um layer height. Final versions will be printed at 20um, the prints just take much longer, but the layer lines and staircasing are virtually invisible.

Offline AngryJazz

« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2023, 11:44:11 PM »

ABS is probably not the best starting point for detail parts (although should be strong!). My go-to is Phrozen Aqua 8K mixed with Siraya Tenacious at 9:1. Beyond that it's usually a matter of getting exposure and lift timing right. A good test model helps. Ameralabs has a great calibration test .stl file you can grab for free: https://ameralabs.com/blog/3d-printer-calibration-part/

Thank you Tony!
Yes its very strong! Need to be throwing it to break the part. Had some accidents with other resins being to brittle and snap in half.

I usually go with Cones of Calibration, they are very easy to read. Interesting with the lift timing - have to read more about it.
I have some Phrozen Aqua 4k, maybe I should retry the print. Its a fun learning experience.

In any case, thanks for the tips. I really enjoy following the build evolve  :)
//Ben

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2023, 11:51:57 PM »
I usually go with Cones of Calibration, they are very easy to read. Interesting with the lift timing - have to read more about it.

Whatever works! The Ameralabs "town" test piece is free for the price of giving them an email address. So far I have not been bombarded with marketing spam from them. Anyway the little town test will really give your printer a workout -- if you can print all of the details on it successfully, you will know you have it locked in for making detail parts for your models.

Online KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2023, 01:46:30 PM »
yup, the stuff shown above was all done @ 50um layer height. Final versions will be printed at 20um, the prints just take much longer, but the layer lines and staircasing are virtually invisible.
Incredible. Thanks for explaining!
Zac in NZ