Author Topic: WiP - Kotare 1/32 Spitfire Mk.Ia (mid)  (Read 3530 times)

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
WiP - Kotare 1/32 Spitfire Mk.Ia (mid)
« on: July 06, 2023, 05:01:34 PM »
Hi all,
A few weeks ago new model company Kotare Models sent me a copy of their first kit, a Supermarine Spitfire Mk.Ia, for review (available to read here on the forum). As soon as the review went online I started work on the kit, however I've recently made a major house move so it's only now I can share my progress.

by Zac Yates, on Flickr
Untitled by Zac Yates, on Flickr

So far there has been very little assembly, focused instead on painting parts. Now that I'm settled in the new town I hope to get back into this very exciting kit soon!
Zac in NZ

Offline Borsos

Re: WiP - Kotare 1/32 Spitfire Mk.Ia (mid)
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2023, 10:01:03 PM »
Looks like big fun to build. I am keen on seeing this one build up!
Andreas
« Last Edit: July 07, 2023, 11:45:31 PM by Borsos »
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2023, 06:58:42 AM »
Nice start Zac! I am looking forward to the rest of your build!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline DaveB

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2023, 08:12:15 PM »
Off to a good start, Zac -

I only found recently that this company is made up of the WNW team so let's hope more comes from their stable!

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2023, 09:09:47 AM »
let's hope more comes from their stable!
I am very, very excited to learn what subject's next after the Spitfires they have lined up. That said, I'd be very very keen on a Spit Mk.Vb should one appear in one of these lovely boxes!

Unfortunately I don't yet have a bench set up but I'll try and get some more paint onto plastic this week.
Zac in NZ

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2023, 07:52:13 AM »
A bench, a bench, my kingdom for a bench! Never mind, got one! There was a perfectly good desk sitting in one of our glasshouses (visible in the below pic). After a rub-down (and removing the top so I could lift the darn thing) I have a workspace again:
The Blemheim Bench v.1 by Zac Yates, on Flickr

So out with a certain black box and its contents to see where we're at. I'd previously cemented the frame with the instrument panel to the cockpit floor, and decalling said IP was the next step. However while the clear gloss dried I decided to assemble the seat. There are two seatbacks included, one with moulded seatbelts and one without. Next time I do one of these kits I'll get aftermarket belts and use the bare part as I'm not impressed with my paintjob...touch ups are planned today!

You may just be able to see I broke a support while installing the armour plate. This was a tricky move because there's an angled slot and the part is thin, but I reckon with some gentle persuasion and a little cement I can fix it.

The shade of interior green paint of early Spitfires is a subject of much discussion (even the kit's instructions spend a lengthy paragraph addressing it) and after reading discussion on Britmodeller I opted for Humbrol 131. To each their own but it looks right to me.

Decalling the instrument panel was rather daunting due to so many individual decals. That's a lot of little things to go on one slightly larger thing!

However maybe five minutes later, maybe less:

To quote a favourite YouTuber of mine: super easy, barely an inconvenience! Some are slightly misaligned but with the naked eye one can't really tell. A matt coat will go on next and then a drop of gloss (or maybe Clearfix) on each dial face.

Before bed I attached the next forward frame and the radiator flap lever.

I also properly painted the propeller and the tips are to be masked and yellowed next:

Today will be touch-ups on the seat and sidewalls, the aforementioned IP clear coating, and installing the stick and seat. I may be helping a friend at the airfield with some misc. jobs, and am planning on a trip past an old RNZAF fighter station to see what's left, but I expect to at least get that stuff done!
Zac in NZ

Offline RichieW

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2023, 03:34:54 AM »
Good too see have a work space and are underway again. It's a lovely looking kit and you've made  a great start. Congrats on the house move too.

Richie

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2023, 07:27:28 AM »
Thanks Richie, I've moved here to do a two-year aeronautical engineering course which starts on Monday...so you can imagine my excitement!

Some progress over the last 24hr: decals and additional parts added to the sidewalls, and the final fuselage frames out ready for installation. Not pictured are the now-attached engine cowlings.

So far no snags that are the kit's fault! I could have the cockpit and fuselage closed up today but I'm off Omaka Aerodrome to help with a restoration project, and Sunday night is time for drinks at the aero club, so it may have to wait.
Zac in NZ

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2023, 12:34:53 AM »
Nice progress!

Steve

Offline Borsos

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2023, 06:22:22 AM »
That looks really good!
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2023, 09:42:12 PM »
Nice work Zac, looking forward to seeing more.

Tim

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2023, 12:50:35 AM »
You are progressing well Zac. Looks very good to Me!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RichieW

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2023, 02:03:15 AM »
You're tempting me to raid my stash with this build Zac. It all looks very impressive. :)

Richie

Offline Davos522

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2023, 02:11:36 AM »
You know the trouble with being a member of this forum? All the work is so beautifully done it makes me want to drop what I'm doing and start a Spitfire/Wildcat/Hansa-Brandenburg/Caudron/Gordon Bennett racer/DH Vampire/etc., etc. etc...

Gorgeous work, Zac. Congrats on the move and starting that course. And one of my great dreams is to make it to Omaka one of these days.

Dave V.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2023, 04:58:19 PM »
Thanks team, it's been pain-free so far and rather enjoyable. The decals behave and the fit is terrific.

Dave V - I'll gladly give you the grand tour!

Yesterday I got the cockpit together (sorry for no pics) and then closed the fuselage halves:

And then added the spine, fuel tank cover and top cowling:

No progress to report today as I've had my first lot of homework to do, but the next steps are big ones: assembling and fitting the wing.
Zac in NZ