Author Topic: Science Museum, London  (Read 974 times)

Offline RichieW

Science Museum, London
« on: May 28, 2023, 08:51:56 PM »
Isn't it odd that when most of us go on holiday we visit many historic monuments and museums yet never really do the same in our own back yard? This was my first ever visit to the Science Museum and certainly will not be my last. There are many truly historic aircraft there including the only surviving original Fokker Eindekker.

20230527_120203 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

This fell into British hands when the pilot got lost and mistakenly landed at an RFC airfield.
This silver doped SE5a is an original from 1917 that had a post war career as a sky writing machine.

20230527_115623 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

20230527_115740 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

The Wolseley Viper engine is display separately among a really impressive array of engines dating from pre WW1 up to the jet age.

Of huge significance in the history of aviation is the actual Vickers Vimy in which Alcock and Brown completed the first non-stop transatlantic flight in June 1919.

20230527_113819 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Another jaw dropping exhibit is the surviving Supermarine S.6B that won the Schneider Trophy in 1931.

20230527_114100 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

This aircraft was retired after the race and donated to the Science Museum where it can be seen in a completely unrestored state. Reginald Mitchell went on to base the design of the Spitfire on this race winning thoroughbred and one can be seen in the background of this awful mobile phone snap.

There are many other incredible exhibits on display and some amazing scratch built models including this exquisite Gloster Gladiator in 1/24 scale.

20230527_114731 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Anybody visiting London would have an amazing day dropping in here especially admission is free. None of the exhibits are replicas and they are all of immense importance in he history of flight.

I was unable to spend as long as I wanted photographing everything as Mrs W isn't greatly interested in aviation history. I may not have told her that the 3rd floor was dedicated to it and that I mostly just wanted to get a close look at the Wolseley Viper engine.

Richie

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
Re: Science Museum, London
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2023, 11:27:18 AM »
The Science Museum has been on my to do list for many many years and so I always enjoy seeing pictures of the exhibits I'm most interested in: the S.6B, Vimy (I spy Amy Johnson's Moth above) and Eindecker. Thank you so much for sharing them Richie!

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2023, 06:44:14 AM »
Would love to get close to the S6B. Thanks for sharing.

Steve

Offline DaveB

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2023, 03:12:08 AM »
Yes, I've also been to the museum when my boys were younger and I also loved the aviation hall, Richie -

Great to be able to these machines close up too

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline RichieW

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2023, 05:12:23 AM »
Thanks for commenting chaps. Zac and Steve, I will go again with my SLR camera and get some proper photos for you. That S6B is a thing of beauty. No 1/32 kit available, perhaps a scratch build project would give the modelling gods a nudge.  ;)

Richie

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2023, 10:20:43 AM »
A few years ago I was fortunate enough to pick up the Marsh Models 1/32 S6B and Macchi 72. Beautiful airplanes and kits.

Steve

Offline RichieW

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2023, 04:57:47 PM »
A few years ago I was fortunate enough to pick up the Marsh Models 1/32 S6B and Macchi 72. Beautiful airplanes and kits.

Steve

Nice! I didn't know they were available in 1/32. The Schneider Trophy racers are such beautiful aircraft.

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2023, 10:59:13 AM »
You are so fortunate to have this museum close by. What a wonderful place. I have vivid memories of my visit back in the 80’s and remember the Spitfire and Hurricane hanging there and thinking about the history those two aircraft had...and now sitting in front of me. Thanks so much for sharing your pics!
Cheers,
Gary