Author Topic: Just another red one - 1/32 Meng Fokker DR.1  (Read 1749 times)

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Just another red one - 1/32 Meng Fokker DR.1
« on: April 28, 2023, 01:55:14 AM »
I'm returning to WW1 subjects with this Meng Fokker DR.1.  I'll be doing the red one 'cause everybody has to do one, right?
I have completed the interior as the pictures below show, and currently working on the overall paint job.
I have not been particularly impressed with the molding here.  The detail is very good, but my kit has some misaligned mold halves and warped fuse halves, along with the usual warped wings and broken fuse panel on the middle wing.
I guess I got a 3rd shift kit.

So, interior pics below depict 425/17 as I have read about, with a black frame and dark red-brown ply panels on the sides.  I don't have detail pics of the interior, so I went with what I could find, tending to leave detail out instead of including something the real plane didn't have.

So, moving on to the overall paint.  I didn't want to just paint on broad panels of pure red, so I devised a method of streaking that will just barely show through the red due to the color's translucience.  I did a test piece and it came out okay, so I forged ahead.

I call this technique 'sponge streaking'.  It entails painting the gray plastic with a white lacquer based primer, then wiping off the primer using a sponge dipped in lacquer thinner to create streaking.  This method dries fast and allows painting the top coat in just a couple of hours if desired.

The starting point:  Materials needed - Tamiya white lacquer in the spray can, lacquer thinner, and a cellulose sponge.

Bare gray plastic

Then, spray thin coats of the white primer.  Here, I set down a heavier coating on the rear edges of the wings, leaving a lighter coating on the leading edges.

After drying a while, dipped the sponge in some lacquer thinner and brushed it across the wing multiple times until I got the streaking effect I wanted.  I found it best to wipe from the leading edge all the way to the trailing edge without stopping.

This is where I'm at currently.

My test pieces:

The white balance is off, so the red color looks very orange in the pics, but the color is a brick red.

I think this method has some promise if one wanted to create a standard Fokker streaking finish.  If an acrylic light blue was painted first, then a light layer of dark green lacquer, followed by the sponge treatment, it should create the streaking seen here.  Saving this idea for the future.

Offline FAf

Re: Just another red one - 1/32 Meng Fokker DR.1
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2023, 04:29:14 AM »
I'm yet to build a red one... but maybe you're right that everybody has to do one?!

The streaking is absolutely looking promising! Interesting idea!
/Fredrik

Offline RichieW

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2023, 06:09:20 AM »
Nothing wrong with doing the red Tripe. I have the kit in the stash and think I will be breaking out the red paint too.

I like that streaking method and will be filing it away for future use.

Richie

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2023, 07:27:15 AM »
Looks good to me!

I think Aviattic do a Red set of tripe decals too. I’m never quite convinced by decalling a whole aircraft, but I guess it could look great if well done…

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2023, 10:39:48 AM »
Another interesting approach that looks rather good! Thanks for the tutorial and I'm eager to see more progress - the cockpit looks superb!
Zac in NZ

Online RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2023, 01:34:24 AM »
Ken,
The interior really looks great! You came up with a very interesting method for the under streaking. I am looking forward to the results!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline kensar

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2023, 10:04:33 AM »
I have completed most of the painting now.  I'm very satisfied with the results after a pastel wash was applied.  The streaking effectively breaks up the expanse of red color.

Other bits in progress:

Attaching the bottom wing.  I didn't streak the bottom surfaces - just went with the light blue, then painted red over it.

Should be ready to make significant progress now that most of the main components are done.

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2023, 10:50:42 AM »
Looks fantastic, Ken.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2023, 12:19:52 PM »
Very nice result with the covered streaks. Looking forward to seeing more. 

Online RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2023, 12:20:53 AM »
That is a terrific looking red DR1 Ken! You have far more faith in the struts than I do...having broken a few  ::) You are certainly tempting Me to save up for another Meng kit  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RichieW

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2023, 08:15:31 AM »
You have every right to be very satisfied with the painting Ken. It looks fantastic, I have made a note of how you have painted this and will shamelessly try to copy your method. I have this kit in the stash and as you say, everybody should build the famous red triplane. It must be the most iconic of all fighters. I have seen the Le Rhone engine from it in the Imperial War Museum, London. Well worth the visit if you are ever in this part of the world.

Richie

Offline Borsos

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2023, 01:50:47 PM »
I‘ve never heard of a red triplane, but your progress looks lovely!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2023, 09:26:29 AM »
I‘ve never heard of a red triplane
Same here, it sounds like a novel idea for a model.

;D
Zac in NZ

Offline kensar

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2023, 09:32:44 PM »
Thanks for all the comments, gents.
And yes, at least one all red triplane did actually exist!   ;D

Offline kensar

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2023, 09:55:21 PM »
This one's done except for the prop and minor weathering.   Here's a few shots of the details and the final finish.

A look at things to come.

Still a little weathering and the prop to complete.
I'm delighted with the finish and overall appearance as I wanted to avoid a solid red toy-like look.

Now that I have built both the Meng and Roden triplane, I would say the Meng is more detailed, but more fragile as the rudder, ailerons, and landing gear are delicate and have minimal attachment points.  The Roden is more robust.  Both kits have their warts, and things needing correcting or fixing.  I would not hesitate to build a Roden tripe again.
More pictures will be in the completed section when everything is done.