Author Topic: Rib tape/stitching - pros, cons and how to  (Read 1655 times)

Offline Pup7309

Rib tape/stitching - pros, cons and how to
« on: April 25, 2023, 07:39:58 PM »
Hi

What’s the best way to replicate ribs stitching on these Roden kits for Strutter, Spad, Albatros etc? Thanks 😊
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
Re: Rib tape/stitching - pros, cons and how to
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2023, 09:42:52 PM »
Hi

What’s the best way to replicate ribs stitching on these Roden kits for Strutter, Spad, Albatros etc? Thanks 😊

'Aviattic' have photo-etch rib tape stitching, although they're not long enough to so you'd need to cut and add.

https://www.aviattic.co.uk/photo-etch.html

'Eduard' discontinued their photo-etch stitching, but you might find some online somewhere.
You'd need quite a few sets to cover the Strutter though.

https://www.eduard.com/Eduard/WWI-Stitching-1-32.html?lang=1

Archer 'resin' stitching.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/archer-ar8804-wwi-fuselage-stitching-1-32-and-1-48-aircraft--1025638

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2023, 11:34:51 PM »
Unfortunately Archer has folded. Both Part and HGW do stitching in 1/48 but sometimes it can be a bit over sized.

Steve

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2023, 02:04:47 AM »
Unfortunately Archer has folded. Both Part and HGW do stitching in 1/48 but sometimes it can be a bit over sized.

Steve

Hi Steve,
True, but I managed to get some from Ebay.
Searching around there are other retailers that have them advertised,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2023, 03:27:58 AM »
I am going to play the Devils Advocate ...and probably be labeled a Heretic  ???  WNW and others providing Rib Tapes and stitching are visually pleasing for sure. That being said IMHO they are out of scale. A tape is a piece of fabric glued and stitched over the rib. How thick is it in 1/32nd scale? Also IMHO stitching would hardly be seen in 1/32nd scale, if seen at all. I just use a strip of decal over the ribs. Works for Me  8) Just to be clear I Love the VISUAL effect of the tapes and stitching I am merely questioning their validity in Scale?
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2023, 06:31:07 AM »
IMHO they are out of scale. A tape is a piece of fabric glued and stitched over the rib. How thick is it in 1/32nd scale? Also IMHO stitching would hardly be seen in 1/32nd scale, if seen at all. I just use a strip of decal over the ribs.
Having spent a fair bit of time around 1/1 fabric-covered machines I'm inclined to ask the same questions. For a 1/32 model even masking tape seems too thick.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 10:35:11 AM by KiwiZac »
Zac in NZ

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2023, 10:31:02 AM »
All true but we accept engraved panel lines as well. I think rib tapes etc are visual pointers rather than true scale representation.

Steve

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2023, 12:01:58 PM »
All true but we accept engraved panel lines as well. I think rib tapes etc are visual pointers rather than true scale representation.

Steve

Yes,  that was exactly My point. We may accept them visually but are they absolutely necessary. If I recall correctly Des used Bobs strippers glued on to represent tapes. No stitches were included. Very similar to just using decal strips for tapes.  To me it's just keeping things simple.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2023, 05:19:12 AM »
Regarding the rib tapes, here's a photo I took last year of the Mémorial Flight SPAD XIII (I couldn't get to the Sopwith any more as the field was getting cleared for the flying display!)

I don't think I'll be adding them to mine, it looks like the trio on Facebook does have them added, though.
A matter of personal preference, I guess. :)

Does anyone know if Part is still an active concern? You can still get their PE sets (from which I assume they are still being made?) but does anyone know if they might be developing new sets for the SPAD XIII or Sopwith?

jeroen
« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 10:35:39 AM by KiwiZac »

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2023, 09:08:24 AM »
Hi Jeroen,
PART is available.

Their web site.

http://www.part.pl/

Some of the items are diverted to the JADAR site.

https://www.jadarhobby.pl/

I've found some of their stuff searching online, including Ebay,

Mike

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2023, 11:19:44 PM »
Looks like Part is around but they haven't done anything new for a while. I like a lot of their stuff but some of it is crazy complicated - but well priced compared to Eduard.

Steve

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2023, 11:21:55 PM »
Hey Rick, re read my post and realize I missed MY point. I am agreeing with you not refuting what you say.

Steve

Offline Berman

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2023, 11:43:20 AM »
 Very minor point. The Memorial Flight Spad XIII has pinked rib tapes because it is most likely covered with modern fabric. The linen rib tapes used on WWI aircraft did not require pinking.  https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft/433716-scale-stitching-print.html#:~:text=In%20restoring%20old%20aircraft%2C%20NEW%20covering%20materials%20are,WWI%20and%20prior%20did%20not%20require%20pinked%20tape.

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2023, 10:40:05 PM »
An interesting observation. Thanks!

Steve

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2023, 06:27:47 AM »
I did wonder about that when I saw the photo. Very helpful to know, especially for degenerates like me who prefer to model restored warbirds  ;D
Zac in NZ