Author Topic: Classic Fighters Omaka 2023  (Read 953 times)

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
Classic Fighters Omaka 2023
« on: April 13, 2023, 02:36:52 PM »
Hi all,
Despite my best efforts (marriage breakup, quadbike accident, COVID last week) I managed to make it to Omaka for the Easter air show!
Now, I took a lot of photos and I won't bore you with the non-WW1 types but you can, if you're a sucker for punishment, take a look through all of them here.

Great War numbers were down on previous years but there were still some neat machines to be seen. All but one of the machines pictured call Omaka home.

In Restoration Row were three WW1 replica projects being worked on to fly. A long-time resident is Murray Miers' Fokker D.VIII (Murray's FW.190A-8/N and Spitfire XIV both flew in the show):
DSC_8881 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
DSC_8885 by Zac Yates, on Flickr

One of the Bristol F.2B Fighters built for the film High Road To China:
DSC_8883 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
DSC_8890 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
DSC_8895 by Zac Yates, on Flickr

And one of three Airco DH.2s started in the US by members of an EAA chapter and now with a local syndicate.
DSC_8884 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
DSC_8886 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
DSC_8897 by Zac Yates, on Flickr

The syndicate-owned, Velie-powered Bleriot XI was displayed by Dan Coleman (with whom I stayed for the weekend). This is an Airdrome Aeroplanes kit with ailerons.
DSC_9468 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
DSC_9492 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
DSC_9496 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
DSC_9500 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
DSC_9540 by Zac Yates, on Flickr

Tony Wytenburg's company Classic Aero Machining Services has made a name for itself building new Gnome rotaries and had two runners on display, a 7cyl and a 9cyl. These were run throughout the weekend.
DSC_9316 by Zac Yates, on Flickr

The Great War scenario starred four aircraft, unfortunately all Allied (a trio of very exciting German machines were hoped to attend but were stuck in port) but still made for a great show. One of the High Road To China Ranger-powered Biffs - finished in the scheme it wore in the film Death Hunt in which it starred with Lee Marvin and Charles Bronson - was flown by Andrew Love in its Kiwi airshow debut; Murray Miers' CAMS rotary-equipped Sopwith Pup flown by Wayne Tantrum; RFC-schemed Nieuport 11 flown by Dan Coleman (again!); and a Nieuport 16 flown by Aaron Patchett, both these aircraft fitted with modern Rotec radials.

DSCW8966 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
DSC_9319 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
DSC_9314 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
DSC_9259 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
DSC_0249 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
DSC_0256 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
DSC_0270 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
DSC_0295 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
DSC_0298 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
DSC_0319 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
Untitled by Zac Yates, on Flickr
DSC_0338 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
DSC_0351 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
DSC_0372 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
DSC_0387 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
DSC_0392 by Zac Yates, on Flickr

There was also a fifth aircraft on the flightline: a newly-finished Airdrome Aeroplanes Sopwith Pup. This is based (I believe) at Motueka, about 2hr drive away.

It was a great weekend but I now understand what jet lag is  ;D