Author Topic: WnW 1/32 Jeannin Stahltaube (1914)  (Read 6955 times)

Offline gedmundson

WnW 1/32 Jeannin Stahltaube (1914)
« on: April 10, 2023, 06:57:24 AM »
Hello folks, I've finally been able to start work on a new WnW kit - the 1/32 Jeannin Stahltaube (1914). I bought this one after swearing I'd not add to my stash...until the recent glut of kits hit the market and I'd regretted not picking this one up previously. I'll build aircraft 283/14, a common choice, since the transparent CDL wings and differently coloured fuselage appeal to me.

I added some Taurus Models primer cups and spark plugs to the engine, and wired it with 0.010" lead wire. I also used the lead wire to add plumbing to the fuel system on the back of the instrument panel. I made a couple of fuel selector handles from bent brass tubing. The prop was painted with Tamiya acrylics and given a wood grain look with oil paints.

Since starting the build I realized I wanted some HGW seatbelts and some control horns for the wings and tail section, so until they arrive I can slowly progress with painting the other bits. I did pick up some Copper State Models spoked wheels for this one - they are quite nicely printed in 3D resin.

Cheers,
Gary

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
Re: WnW 1/32 Jeannin Stahltaube (1914)
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2023, 07:06:06 AM »
Hi Gary,
Nice to see you tackling this model.
I really must hit mine in the stash one day.
I'll be following with great interest,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2023, 07:25:23 AM »
Ooh, nice Gary,

I’ve got one too so looking forward to seeing yours. The wiring on the engine is really excellent! How do you get the wiring to attach to the distributor(?) so neatly?

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2023, 08:01:55 AM »
Ooh, nice Gary,

I’ve got one too so looking forward to seeing yours. The wiring on the engine is really excellent! How do you get the wiring to attach to the distributor(?) so neatly?

Guy

Thanks Guy - I drill 0.016" holes into the points at which the wires enter the magnetos, and glue the lead wire in place with cyano after they're inserted deep enough. After the magnetos are in position, the wires are then gently bent into shape to converge at the conduit, glued then painted. Cheers!

(on a Mercedes D.III)

Offline RichieW

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2023, 08:15:44 AM »
I just know this is going to be beautiful Gary, very pleased to see you building a model of this lovely old aircraft.

Richie

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2023, 08:33:12 AM »
Thanks Gary,

Looks absolutely super painted up!

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2023, 10:41:19 PM »
Oh, lovely. Enjoy thoroughly every step in thi build, it is a great kit and I am sure you will end up with a spectacular model.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2023, 11:21:53 PM »
Another adventure I‘ll follow! I am very keen on seeing your treatment of the Taube.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2023, 01:39:36 AM »
Oh, lovely. Enjoy thoroughly every step in thi build, it is a great kit and I am sure you will end up with a spectacular model.

Thanks, Prze. I have been using info from your build to plan mine. But there’s no way I can replicate your wonderful work on the interior rigging with all of those turnbuckles etc. I’ll be taking a short-cut on that 😉
Cheers,
Gary

Offline FAf

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2023, 01:07:49 AM »
Great looking start!
/Fredrik

Offline PrzemoL

• Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2023, 05:57:50 PM »

Thanks, Prze. I have been using info from your build to plan mine. But there’s no way I can replicate your wonderful work on the interior rigging with all of those turnbuckles etc. I’ll be taking a short-cut on that 😉
Cheers,
Gary

Gary, I am honoured you use my build as a reference. And, I am sure you could out-do me with the interior rigging!

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2023, 07:17:16 PM »

Cheers,
Gary

Hi Prze,
I'd be interested in anything you have on Polish Taube's.
I didn't know it was in Polish service,

Mike

Gary, I am honoured you use my build as a reference. And, I am sure you could out-do me with the interior rigging!

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline PrzemoL

• Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2023, 07:23:23 PM »

Hi Prze,
I'd be interested in anything you have on Polish Taube's.
I didn't know it was in Polish service,

Mike

But, Mike, I did not say a word about possible Polish service Taube. To my knowledge, we did not have any.

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2023, 07:46:45 PM »

Oops wrong thread.
It was in Gary's Halberstadt build thread,

Mike

It will be interesting. But since you are still planing, why not build a Polish post war one? They usually had light wood fuselage (sometimes with green paint stains) and losenge. I can send you a couple of colour schemes if you are interested. In this forum you can also find my build from one year ago, too ;)

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2023, 10:57:59 PM »
Nice, major start! Will watch with interest. Wonder how much longer we'll be able to get lead wire before the bubble wrap everybody gang find out about it? Even the fly tying people are using it less.

Steve