Author Topic: Propeller blade wood decals  (Read 1792 times)

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
Propeller blade wood decals
« on: March 26, 2023, 07:47:12 PM »
Hi all,
I wonder if anyone here has used the 'Quinta Studio' decals for creating the laminated wood propellers.
These are intended for the Roden models,

Mike

https://quinta-studio.com/ru/product/502/

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline Pup7309

Re: Propeller blade wood decals
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2023, 08:21:19 PM »
Great question, was curious about this myself:)
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2023, 07:10:44 AM »
I've only used one set of their 3D their cockpit decals and they went on without hassle. I'm very, very curious to learn more about these too!

Offline macsporran

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2023, 05:38:42 PM »
I've been put off Quinta because someone somewhere posted a note that the owner is an ardent supporter of the current invasion of our blue and yellow friends.
I know it's not reflective of the quality of the products, and I don't want to get into politics, but still. Can anyone confirm or disabuse me of this?
Sandy
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 06:23:35 PM by macsporran »

Offline Borsos

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2023, 08:55:03 PM »
I've been put off Quinta because someone somewhere posted a note that the owner is an ardent supporter of the current invasion of our blue and yellow friends.
I know it's not reflective of the quality of the products, and I don't want to get into politics, but still. Can anyone confirm or disabuse me of this?
Sandy

I’d also be very interested in this question due to the same reasons like Sandy.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Online Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2023, 11:32:55 PM »
“I've been put off Quinta because someone somewhere posted a note that the owner is an ardent supporter of the current invasion of our blue and yellow friends.”

That is about as vague as it gets. I’d need a specific reference to a quote in order to sway my opinion. Just because it’s a Russian company doesn’t mean the owner supports the war.
I’m in support of anyone who produces quality WWI modeling products, especially 1/72! 

Tim
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 06:43:49 PM by Brad Cancian »

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2023, 02:35:53 AM »
Need to tread carefully guys - admin may consider this thread is getting too political and close it.

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline macsporran

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2023, 03:53:52 AM »
That is about as vague as it gets. I’d need a specific reference to a quote in order to sway my opinion.

What do you think I am asking for?

But, this is maybe getting too political for general chat, but I'd appreciate a PM offline if there is any substance to be aware of.
Cheers
Sandy

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2023, 05:38:28 PM »
Hi guys - yup you guessed it, this is not the forum for political commentary. I've modified some of the posts to remove some of the more politically oriented statements.

Please consider this a gentle reminder to keep the commentary about the product, not the politics.

Cheers,

Brad
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 06:49:38 PM by Brad Cancian »

Offline William Adair

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2023, 09:58:36 PM »
On the Models for Ukraine podcast, there was an interview with one of the Ukrainian kit producers. I think it was the creator of Wingsy kits. He mentioned that the Quinta fellow was known in the industry for having a particularly strong nationalist stance.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 10:02:39 PM by William Adair »

Online Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2023, 01:05:36 AM »
I apologize to the list for any inflammatory comments I have made. I respect everyone’s right to hold their own opinions.
Sandy, I certainly mean no disrespect to you!  My response was hastily worded and not well thought through.  This will be my last post on this thread. 

Kind regards,
Tim

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2023, 01:22:04 AM »
Back to the original point - Quinta has moved into the lozenge decal  field only recently - the cockpit detail sets merely being made on decal paper but do not function as decals (other than sliding them off the paper in water - there's no glue) - I find it interesting that these prop decals are still defined as 3D- flat 3D printed? After a bit more searching you do in fact slide them off the sheet and have to glue them on front and back.

Steve

Offline WD

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2023, 12:25:08 AM »
I do like the Quinta lozenge, and plan on getting some just to see how it compares to Aviattic's offering. (I haven't used my Aviattic lozenge yet, but so far it appears to be the best product going.)
I've seen folks used the 3D cockpit offerings, and they seem to go on great and look fantastic, so I'll continue to try and support this manufacturer.

Warren

Offline Ranger822

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2023, 02:27:12 AM »
I did a little test and printed a paper copy and cut them out.  I may not have done it correctly but, I was not able to get the front and back of the "decals" to actually line up, regardless of how I oriented the two sides of either set of decals.  There is a significant difference in size of the front and back decals. My test may not be entirely indicative of the actual final result because I didn't have a 3D propeller to try to apply these paper cut-outs to.  However, my test suggests that from the front, the propeller will look good, just as in the vendors listing, but viewed from the side and the back the laminated wood doesn't seem to match up completely for either propeller. Clearly  the larger front decal will have to wrap around to the back of the propeller but from my test it didn't really look like it would be a perfect alignment.  Also, the instructions indicate to trim or sand the excess away but I didn't see a way that front and back face would line up in either case. I think some hand painting touchup will most likely be required along the propeller blade edge or wherever there is an interface between the front decal and the back decal.

I did a Google search and was unable to find a review of the product to hear from someone who actually had the decal and tested it.

Some folks may not even notice.  I have to admit from the front, which is how most of us would view an a/c displayed, it should look very good indeed. 

A better test will be to actually purchase a test subject and apply the decals to the actual intended propeller it is difficult to judge if there would be an improvement or how effective touching up the edges where the two decals will meet will prove to be.  Perhaps someone on the forum has already purchased this product and can relate their experience.

It may be possible to fabricate ones own propeller decals for other propellers for other models but with perhaps better control of the edges/interface between front and back decal.  My thinking  is to take the actual kit propeller and create a template of it and then remaster the decal artwork to ensure the edges will line up more closely - without significant overlap or trimming.  in this same way, the amount of touchup may be reduced and an even better looking propeller is possible.  Testing is required.

In my case, I want to explore feasibility for 1/48 scale.  It may be more difficult to produce a nice result at that scale.

Offline Petie2nd

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2023, 10:54:23 AM »
I don't have the Quinta propeller decals, but I do have a question for you. Since a propeller is like an airfoil, the front is curved, or convex, while the back is nearly flat. This can't be duplicated on a flat piece of paper. Could this account for the difference in width between the front and back parts? Not sure this would explain the mismatch in the wood grain patterns, however.

Pete