Author Topic: My Grandad's last model.  (Read 1018 times)

Offline RichieW

My Grandad's last model.
« on: February 28, 2023, 09:58:37 AM »
Hello everybody,

There was a big gathering of the Williams clan yesterday and I was so happy to see my Grandad's last model on proud display in my cousin's house. He was in the last year of his life when he completed it and was by then crippled by arthritis and registered blind.

Every single part, nuts and bolts included were made by his own hand and the engine is still in running order over 50 years later.

Grandad's last model by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Grandad's last model by Richard Williams, on Flickr

It is a steam pump he was sent to maintain in Bedford and was of great importance to him because that is how he met my Grandmother. Tucked away in the case is a typed up version of the note my Grandmother left in the display case. She tells the story best;

Note written by my Grandmother. by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Among his many adventures he served on RMS Mauretania, at the time the biggest ship in the at the world, as second engineer. Before his eyesight failed he built a working replica of the Mauretania's triple expansion steam engine which was sold at auction.

He also turned his hand to clock making;

Clock made by my Grandfather by Richard Williams, on Flickr

This still keeps good time.

I once asked my father if Grandad would have liked my models, he just laughed and told me to impress him I would have to make every single piece of it myself. Hence my recent interest in scratch building.

If you have got this far I thank you for indulging me and hope your models can be enjoyed by future generations of your family.

Best wishes
Richie

« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 01:04:54 AM by RichieW »

Offline Rob Hart

Re: My Grandad's last model.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2023, 11:57:15 AM »
Thanks for sharing the models and the story. It puts assembling plastic kits into perspective.

Online PJ Fisher

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2023, 01:11:07 PM »
What a wonderful tale and great that your family has preserved their history.

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2023, 05:18:16 PM »
I always loved steam engine models, but never tried to build one. Your grandfather must have been very skillful and I'm sure he would be proud of your scratchbuild models.
Thank you for sharing.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2023, 05:09:22 AM »
Your grandfather was without doubt a very talented man.I am certain that he would have appreciated your scratch built models Richie: in fact you are a chip off the old block!

Stephen.

Offline hrcoleman66

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2023, 07:30:22 AM »
Ah.  The Stuart Beam Engine.  It's actually built from castings that you can still purchase from Stuart Turner.  I have one in my collection too.
Your grandfather made some interesting choices, turning the components for the Watts Parallel linkage and other components that lesser of us would make from the flat bar stock supplied in the kit.

A nice example.  You should hook it up to an air compressor and watch it tick over slowly (although they happily run quite fast as well).

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2023, 10:41:01 AM »
Not Only an Incredible Model but a really great Family Story!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RichieW

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2023, 02:55:09 AM »
Thank you so much for your interest in my Grandad's model.

Hugh, you are quite right, I chatted to my Dad today and he told me he drove his father to somewhere in Northampton to collect some castings for this engine.

There are other parts to this still in the family to fire it up. I was a little 6 year old when it was completed and run for the first time. I remember a lot of steam, water droplets forming on the ceiling and the dear old man looking jubilant!

My Dad also told me that he didn't think he made the clock mechanism. I'm still amazed by what he could do even so.

Stephen I hope you are right that he would like what I try to do. He would have had a few choice words for the utter chaos I work in!

I think the real point of the story is that your models might be worth so much more to other people than you might think. Mine always end up getting broken and thrown out. Seeing this old engine for the first time in decades might change this!

Happy modelling everybody, Hever doubt that what you produce might be of great importance to somebody one day.

Richie

Offline DaveB

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2023, 03:17:41 AM »
What a lovely story surrounding this steam engine -

What a clever and practical man being able to build fully working steam engines and clocks - amazing .......

I can fully understand why you are into scratch building now, Richie!

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline Big Sky Modeler

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2023, 05:43:57 AM »
Like others have said, very nice model and story.  Reminds me of my grandfather since he was foreman of the mechanic shop in a glass plant.  I have his tools and several items he made for his kids.  Your story brought back some great memories, thanks!

Your story also reminds me of the Nevil Shute book "Trustee from the Toolroom".  A good read.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2023, 05:53:23 AM »
Like others have said, very nice model and story.  Reminds me of my grandfather since he was foreman of the mechanic shop in a glass plant.  I have his tools and several items he made for his kids.  Your story brought back some great memories, thanks!

Your story also reminds me of the Nevil Shute book "Trustee from the Toolroom".  A good read.

That's beautiful that you have his tools and things he made, that has made me smile!

I will check that book out too, it sounds a good read

Richie

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2023, 05:57:57 AM »
What a wonderful story, and an amazing model. Your dedication to scratchbuilding has now taken on a whole new meaning for me.

I think the real point of the story is that your models might be worth so much more to other people than you might think. Mine always end up getting broken and thrown out. Seeing this old engine for the first time in decades might change this!
I for one am glad to hear it!!
Zac in NZ

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2023, 10:48:03 PM »
What an excellent story!  So interesting to read about people’s lives and how their experiences can influence others. So glad to hear that your family has at least one piece of his handiwork to inspire them. The note from your grandmother was very sweet. 
All the best,
Tim.