Author Topic: Vallejo polyurethane varnish over Future issue - Lesson learned  (Read 1144 times)

Offline BobW

I recently ran into a major problem when I sprayed a coat of Vallejo polyurethane varnish over gloss future on my 1/48 Eduard Camel.  The Vallejo varnish gives a beautiful finish but it has its limitations.

When working on the Camel, I accidentally got some CA glue on the base of my thumb and put a very light thumb print onto the fuselage side of the model.  No problem, I thought, I'll just sand it off with a 3000 grit sanding sponge and repair the spot with my airbrush.  As it turned out, it became a nightmare.  Even though the Future was well cured before applying the Vallejo polyurethane varnish, and the Vallejo topcoat was cured for several weeks before sanding, the Vallejo coat only had a very weak adhesion with the Future undercoat.

As I sanded, it was impossible to bring the Vallejo product to a nice featheredge in order to make a smooth repair.   In fact the Vallejo varnish just peeled off the gloss undercoat.  My only poor solution was to take a hobby knife and lightly cut the varnish surface vertically at the joint between the Camel cockpit wood area and the adjacent linen area to act a stop point for the peeling.  I subsequently sanded off the remaining Vallejo on the fuselage side, however I ended up removing some surface detail. 

I set the Camel kit aside since I lost my mojo for it, and started a 1/48 Tamiya Swordfish.

I have been modeling for over 30 years, but whenever I build something there is always something that goes annoyingly wrong  -   I guess it just part of the hobby!

Bob W

Offline the great waldo

Re: Vallejo polyurethane varnish over Future issue - Lesson learned
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2023, 11:19:27 PM »
I've been making and repairing guitars over 50 years and a good day is when only one thing goes wrong!!
cheers
Andrew

Offline WD

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2023, 06:11:46 AM »
Bob, same here. My return to modeling has come in fits and starts over the last years, so much so that it's like I'm learning over again each time.

Some days you eat the bear, and some days the bear eats you.

Warren

Offline Rip Van Winkle

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2023, 11:12:28 AM »
All my projects have mistakes that are mine or the kit's.  You become good at repair and redo.  It is not that I will make a mistake but how many.  It is a given that something will go wrong somewhere.  You are in good company here.