Author Topic: Changes in my personal life  (Read 1529 times)

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
Changes in my personal life
« on: February 15, 2023, 07:29:07 AM »
Hi all,
Just over a month ago my wife of almost seven years (together nearly 12) revealed she'd been seeing someone else for two years. She moved out and the split has been amicable - I'd been doing a lot of personal growth before this revelation so have taken it well.

I'm fortunate to have online friends to provide moral support (including my fellow mods at this fine site) and friends at the aero club to distract me with events and projects so life hasn't been full of moping and dwelling on the situation.

People have been telling me to view this as an opportunity and I have: now that I don't have someone in my life resistant to making the big move (in hindsight that objection makes more sense) I've enrolled in an aerospace engineering course in lovely Blenheim in our South Island (home of the biennial Classic Fighters airshow and the Omaka Aviation Heritage Centre), to start in July. I'm feeling very philosophical about the future and haven't been looking back very much.

As I spend so much time here with you all (recently in the background just monitoring rather than actively posting) I wanted to share my latest news. The main takeaway is I'm genuinely doing okay, feeling positive about the future and pursuing goals I've had in my sights for a long time.

Offline DaddyO

Re: Changes in my personal life
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2023, 08:20:53 AM »
Sorry to hear about the split Zac
Sending good vibes from the other side of the globe, although it sounds like you've got a healthy grasp of life and it's 'wrinkles'.

Enjoy the course, (which sounds like it'll be right up your street) and keep looking forward
Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline Rick_H

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2023, 05:13:05 PM »
Zac,
It's really hard to hear of that kind of a shake-up in a friend's life.  I'm glad to hear that you do see a good path forward.  I hope that you'll be able to stay stable on that track, as sometimes after a shock like this we wobble unexpectedly.

Best wishes for your course forward,
Rick in Seattle

Offline hrcoleman66

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2023, 07:28:07 AM »
Hi Zac,

That's a bastard of a situation.  But it sounds like you have come out with a positive attitude.

I well recall when I left my first marriage (ten years that should never have happened), I went on a re-calibrating road trip.  Driving along the western highway between Horsham and the Victoria South Australia border with the windows down and Mahler's Resurrection symphony playing at 11, and thinking, shall I stop for lunch at the next town for lunch?  Dammit, why not.  There's noone to tell me I can't.  Such freedom!

Good luck with the Aerospace Engineering!  It was the Engineering I wanted to study!

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2023, 01:07:43 AM »
This thread proves how strange life can be. Simplify your life. Take care of yourself. The  rest will play out the way it should.

Steve

Offline RichieW

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2023, 05:03:52 AM »
Hope you're OK Zac, glad you feel positive and are looking ahead. Best of luck with the aeronautical engineering course. That sounds just the ticket.

Best wishes
Richie

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2023, 09:14:11 AM »
All things in life are an opportunity Zac; surround yourself with good people and healthy relationships, and pursue those things that interest you and make you you, and you'll be ok.

Great to hear about enrolling in an Aerospace Engineering degree. As a fellow Aeronautical Engineer myself, I can tell you that it's very much a rewarding field of study (and I can still say that it's worthwhile after 20 years working with aircraft). 

We're always here to reach out to if you need to chat!

Cheers again my friend,

Brad

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2023, 01:08:52 AM »
Hello Zac
Although that's not nice what happened, any advice I would have given someone in that situation would have been to do something like the thing that you have done anyway. Best of luck with the engineering degree.
Alan
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2023, 06:32:16 AM »
It means a lot to read your words of support, folks. This is a wonderful community and I feel so fortunate to feel so welcome and to have such lovely friends. It makes things that much easier.

Brad - I will definitely take you up on that  :)