Author Topic: 1/72 EIII in Turkish markings  (Read 1815 times)

Offline DaddyO

1/72 EIII in Turkish markings
« on: February 10, 2023, 10:30:04 PM »
Morning all just wrapped this one up ready for the show at the weekend. (I'll be on the WW1 SIG stand at Bovington if anyone is going along)

It's the Eduard kit with a carved plywood prop. All the struts have been replaced with filed brass wire soldered together. (I managed to stand on the original replacement wire undercarriage crushing it completely flat which took the wind out of my sails for while) :'(
I replaced the control column with a home made one and added a few wires etc to the cockpit walls as well as the usual belts. Paint is all acrylic with oil paint used for weathering. Sadly the coat of varnish muted the engine turned effect on the cowl which I was not best pleased with - ah well another lesson learned  ::)

Markings are from a Print scale set based on the photo and profile in the Windsock datafile of Budeckes aircraft.

Click on the photo to see the full sized images  :D

Cheers
Paul

There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
Re: 1/72 EIII in Turkish markings
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2023, 11:36:56 PM »
Beautifully done Paul!  I really like the prop you carved. Nice oil stains on the cowling too.  Your turnbuckles look to be scale accurate. What manufacturer are they?

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2023, 11:39:48 PM »
Beautifully done Paul!  I really like the prop you carved. Nice oil stains on the cowling too.  Your turnbuckles look to be scale accurate. What manufacturer are they?

Thanks Tim - glad you like it.
Turnbuckles are 'made' by Vallejo  ;D
(I've found you can give the impression of scale turnbuckles using standard paint)

Cheers
Paul

Offline Big Sky Modeler

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2023, 02:35:37 AM »
Nicely done!  I like the overall color and Turkish markings.

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2023, 04:33:47 AM »
I love it!
I didn't know the O.E. used that colour, I thought their aircraft were all CDL or light green.
Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2023, 04:54:35 AM »
Nicely done!  I like the overall color and Turkish markings.

Cheers BSM  ;D

I love it!
I didn't know the O.E. used that colour, I thought their aircraft were all CDL or light green.
Alan.

Difficult to tell definitively from the B&W pictures Alan, but given as one of the possible options and shown as brown on the rear colour plate of the Datafile which was good enough for me  8)
Paul

Offline Flamingo

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2023, 05:22:41 AM »
Great small Eindecker with a fine prop!
Fine metal struts add scale and strengh, well most of the time if Murphy is not around.
The turnbuckles look absolutely scale, as do the wires. What did you use for them?
The brown might be the German PC 12.
Greetings Joachim

Online lone modeller

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2023, 06:00:17 AM »
Lovely littel Eindekker. I too like the idea of using paint to represent turnbuckles in this scale.

Stephen.

Offline WD

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2023, 06:28:41 AM »
Simply gorgeous Paul!  I love the color, the restrained weathering, and the base really sets it off nicely. Too bad about the turned metal effect not working out. I want to do one of these one day to go with a beautiful Budecke figure I have.

Warren

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2023, 06:37:03 AM »
That's really lovely, I initially thought it was 1/32! Lovely job Paul!
Zac in NZ

Offline Rip Van Winkle

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2023, 08:34:58 AM »
Nicely done!  I am currently building one.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2023, 08:49:54 AM »
Very well done!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2023, 05:21:39 PM »
Thanks you gents  ;D

Great small Eindecker with a fine prop!
Fine metal struts add scale and strengh, well most of the time if Murphy is not around.
The turnbuckles look absolutely scale, as do the wires. What did you use for them?
The brown might be the German PC 12.
Greetings Joachim

1.1lb monoflimanet for the rigging Joachim with paint for the turnbuckles. (Murphy usually gets involved at some point during the build) ;)

Lovely littel Eindekker. I too like the idea of using paint to represent turnbuckles in this scale.
Stephen.

Cheers Stephen

Simply gorgeous Paul!  I love the color, the restrained weathering, and the base really sets it off nicely. Too bad about the turned metal effect not working out. I want to do one of these one day to go with a beautiful Budecke figure I have.
Warren

Thanks Warren ;D I think they always look better with a base to finish them off (although you can't then see the undersides) Bit of a PITA about the turned effect, although you can still see it if you look closely . . . .

That's really lovely, I initially thought it was 1/32! Lovely job Paul!

Ha, ha Zac. Had you going for a moment. Glad you like it

Nicely done!  I am currently building one.  Thanks for sharing.

Major drawback of the design as a model (apart from all the struts and wires  ;)) is the wing fixing because any strengthening rods will appear in the cockpit. The wings worked loose on this one because I kept holding it by them when I was adding the undercarriage and weathering so they had to be removed and glued on again. I think adding a tiniest suggestion of dihedral helps avoid 'sagging wing syndrome'. If they are set absolutely level they can look like they are drooping a bit

Very well done!
Andreas

Appreciate it Andrea  :)

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2023, 01:46:11 AM »
Murphy be damned!! What a great model.

Steve

Offline Flamingo

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2023, 02:07:37 AM »
Revell's wing to fuselage method with the monoplanes was quite smart, the remainder of the kits less so!
Joachim