Author Topic: My Introduction  (Read 2239 times)

Offline Ranger822

My Introduction
« on: February 02, 2023, 02:28:21 AM »
Hi Fellow Modeler's and WWI aficionados,

I am Tony - I am retired U.S. Army and a lifelong aviation enthusiast. 

My military career spanned 33 years with 11 years as an infantry officer and then switching careers after selection for "re-education" by the Army to become a dentist.  I returned back to Army service and completed another 22 years as dentist.  So, yeah, I really dig working in very small spaces using magnifying loops.  Since I was a kid, i have been building fine scale models limited to 1/48 scale.  I like all eras and am relatively new to the World War One era aircraft, partly because I always felt like I wasn't quite ready to tackle these string bags which really are quite demanding. 

Now that I am retired, I have some backlog . . .to get busy with

I am looking forward to reading thru the forum, catching up on things and later, sharing some of my projects, networking with other fellow modelers for tips, tricks, and that occasional special model no-one has ever heard or thought of.  See you on the forum!

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
Re: My Introduction
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2023, 06:55:14 AM »
Welcome aboard Tony, it's great to have you!

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2023, 11:07:50 AM »
Greetings!! Looks like your WWI stash is growing already! Enjoy the site!

Steve

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2023, 02:25:13 AM »
Hello Tony
Yes, quite a stash you have already. I too like 1/48 scale. Welcome to the forum.
Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline Ranger822

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2023, 01:57:06 AM »
thanks for the warm reception - I hope to contribute in the near future.  Happy Modeling

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2023, 06:00:28 AM »
    Welcome to the best Model Aircraft Forum on the Web, Tony. I'm looking forward to your contributions and, as a lifetime model builder, you have a lot of great info to share with the membership. Tips, networking and sharing as you mention along with others are here and more; I know you'll enjoy the Forum. We share a lot in common; I spent 37 years in an RCAF uniform so can relate to having a "bit of a backlog" at retirement!
    Congratulations on your retirement and enjoy!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2023, 06:10:19 AM »
Tony: don't worry if your output isn't just WW1 as we have a subforum for everything not Great War. It'd be great to see your work there too.

Offline Ranger822

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2023, 07:33:30 AM »
My first step is to complete my display cabinets and then unpack what is left of my "collection" sadly only 20 models remain that weren't crushed, damaged from heat in so-called "cold storage" and well some mysterious gorillas that must have been inserted in the moving process along the way such that some of my models were simply so badly damaged I couldn't repair them.  I am holding my breath with 13 boxes that haven't been unpacked in at least a decade.  The cabinet craftsman is working the next week or so to finish the display cabinets and then I get a glass man to come in and put the shelves and doors.  Then I can finally get back to modeling.  Once the cabinets are done I will post a pic or two of my man-cave.