Author Topic: Eduard Dr1, VOSS triplane, 103/17...Streaking MkII...FINI...  (Read 2528 times)

Offline Allan31

Eduard Dr1, VOSS triplane, 103/17...Streaking MkII...FINI...
« on: January 26, 2023, 05:20:30 AM »
To finish up and refine my Fokker streaking technique, I decided that Voss's 103 would be the best candidate.
While rooting around for something else I found a pile of old magazines I forgot I had.

While flipping through I was amazed how timely my discovery was.

I had remembered McCudden's description from my childhood  and was going to search that up but low and behold, here it is along with others.
I was always surprised at his reference to silver.  I was fascinated to read almost every other eye witness description also mentions "silver", silver-grey", "grey".

Most especially the eye witness description of Voss's aircraft by a trained examiner, Lt. Barfoot Saunt.
Saunt specifically states THREE separate colors, "green, blue and grey"

I have a pretty good idea of how I'm going to accomplish this. I am amazed and disappointed that even the well researched Aviattic decals do not take into account the eye witness references to silver-grey.

In this excellent photo of 103, I will have the dark areas green/green/brown but the areas in between that have been shown as the light blue with green streaking will be filled with a grey, silver/grey streaking that will be light in value close to the blue. The grey streaking will allow the blue to show through just as it peeks through the green streaks.

That's my cunning plan and I'm sticking to it. (Unless someone can talk me out of it.)
I'm excited about presenting Voss's 103 that more closely reflects the eye witness accounts. Eduard wings are primed white, may do some test streaks with green and the grey tomorrow.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 05:11:44 AM by Allan31 »
Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
Re: Eduard Dr1, VOSS triplane, 103/17......
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2023, 07:19:58 AM »
I'm excited about presenting Voss's 103 that more closely reflects the eye witness accounts.
And I'm excited to follow along! How fascinating! Surely the next best thing to colour photographs (or being able to ask Voss himself).

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2023, 09:39:50 AM »
One thing I would suggest is to read Greg van Wyngardens' thoughts on the F1 Triplanes, found in the first chapter of his Fokker Jadgstaffeln book. Their are other descriptions from Sloley and others that are interesting. ( One even Mentions Yellow  ::) ) I really like his ultimate conclusion. Again I look forward to your version as No One can Prove anything  8)
RAGIII
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 03:57:28 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline WD

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2023, 02:54:57 AM »
I really like his ultimate conclusion. Again I look forward to your version as No One can Prove anything  8)
RAGIII

Exactly!  I always thought the silver/grey remarks were becuase of the light blue combined with green streaking combined with the dope overcoat made one see silver/grey as a reflection, etc.

Warren

Offline Allan31

Re: Eduard Dr1, VOSS triplane, 103/17.....I choked..
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2023, 10:56:11 PM »
In looking more closely at the Aviattic decals, it does seem they attempted to get that silver/grey in there.

In keeping with the eye witness discription, I went with a different green, FS34087.

As someone mentioned, I'm going to go with a more grey color rather than a silver.

"Swing and a miss, strike one..."

I went too heavy with the green. This will give me the chance to dial back the silver as well when I redo this.

Almost.....
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 06:50:14 AM by Allan31 »
Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Offline WD

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2023, 12:16:35 AM »
Allan,
        Part of the beauty and fun of doing Voss' Tripe is that we'll truly never know about the color and streaking with any authority. (Nor the cowling color.) 

Do you want another monkey wrench thrown in the works? ;)

Warren

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2023, 12:36:14 AM »
Allan,
I think your umpire needs new glasses!  Certainly looks to be a solid hit to me. Looking forward to seeing your home run!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2023, 01:27:06 AM »
Personally, I Love the results to date. 8)
RAGIII

Offline Allan31

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2023, 01:38:16 AM »
Thanks all, it's easy enough to redo and I think I can get a little closer, more this afternoon.
And just to head off further chat about a yellow cowl.....

I have been a commercial illustrator and graphic designer all my life. If I was Voss and wanted my dragon kite design to show up and be seen whizzing by at a combined speed of 100mph, I would not choose white graphics on yellow, neither would any of you. You would have chosen black on yellow.

I'm sure Barfoot-Saunt would have included the yellow cowl in his detailed report. (and the rudder apparently..)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 08:17:11 AM by Allan31 »
Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Offline Allan31

Re: Eduard Dr1, VOSS triplane, 103/17...Streaking MkII...
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2023, 05:15:15 AM »
I know it's a subtle difference but this is better...
I got rid of "silver", why would they use that? Grey.

Added less green.

Still a little heavy on the middle wing but I'm going with this.

Mk 1...

I could still get away with less streaking but....

Onward....
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 06:52:37 AM by Allan31 »
Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2023, 06:15:09 AM »

It’s outta there!

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2023, 08:00:24 PM »
Nice work Allan  ;D

Good to see someone else using Vallejo Air acrylics as well. May I ask what varnishes you use for decaling and final coats?

Thanks
Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline rasbury

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2023, 01:49:48 AM »
You’ve broken the code on in-scale streaking. Amazing!

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2023, 07:49:51 PM »
That is truly interesting, what you propose and do here, Alain. Good luck with your plan.
And I am saying this despite the fact me personally, I am in full agreement with Greg van Wyngarden's conclusions about the coulor and shine play, especially during the hectic manoouvres of the famous air fight.
I am looking forward to see your final results.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2023, 02:22:04 AM »
You are producing Terrific results with your method! I agree with one comment you made, in particular the center upper wing, looks a bit heavier/darker streaked than the original.
RAGIII