Author Topic: Falcon 1/32 Fok. E5/DVIII  (Read 13942 times)

Offline Rob_Owens

Re: Falcon 1/32 Fok. E5/DVIII
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2013, 09:17:45 AM »
I have a 1/32 Falcon E.V/D.VII about 3/4 done, which means "scratchbuild all internal detail." One advantage of WWI vac kits over injection-molded is near scale thickness of fuselage "skin." This allows one to add structural/component details based on scale drawings.  I too backdated a 1/32 Nie. 17 to a 1/32 Bebe shortly before the Special Hobby kit became available (c'set la vie...) and found a material indespensible to scratchbuilders "Supafilla". . .

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2013, 01:13:41 AM »
  Roy,
Wow another vac Fokker underway! I hope you'll share your progress with us my friend. You can never have enough vacuform projects around for me. I'd love to see your Nieuport project as well.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline ermeio

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2015, 06:01:08 AM »
They made a be 2
And it was very nice, since it was easy to obtain translucent wings.
They are good vacs

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2015, 12:12:14 PM »
I'm very tempted to pick up one of these as they're so cheap, my intention was to do it with a WNW engine but it doesn't look like they do a 9cyl. Oberursel. Would the DH.2/Eindecker engine work in its place, otherwise what are the aftermarket options for a new engine for this kit?

Also, what accuracy issues have other folk discovered with the kit?

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 02:57:18 PM by KiwiZac »

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2015, 03:57:57 PM »
I'm very tempted to pick up one of these as they're so cheap, my intention was to do it with a WNW engine but it doesn't look like they do a 9cyl. Oberursel. Would the DH.2/Eindecker engine work in its place...

No. Completely different engine. The EV / DVIII was powered by the Ur.II which was a clone of the Le Rhone 9J (big copper induction pipes etc). The E.III was powered by the U.I, which was a clone of the Gnome Delta Monosoupape. (single valve, single pushrod per cyl)

Vector makes a Ur.II.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2015, 06:05:13 PM »
Thanks Bo, my other OLHS has the Vector one in stock. Looks like I have a project!

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2015, 08:29:05 AM »
Further investigation at Sprue Brothers shows another option: a kit by Roden - http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/rod624.htm

Does anyone know how this compares to the Vector resin item Roden kit also seems to include a prop, which the Vector doesn't.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2015, 09:07:29 AM »
The Roden engine isn't too bad although not on the same level as Taurus or other well done resin. It is molded in two parts down the centerline so a little seam cleanup is needed. With the kit you have posted there are a few pe parts but no real advantage to what one could do with wire and a little clever work done to the standard DR1 version. If you have access to the Encore version of the F1 Triplane you get a resin copy and the original plastic engine, so you would have a spare  8). Also an Eduard Pe set for the aircraft with resin updates. This kit is a bargain here in the states.
IHTH,
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2015, 11:43:02 AM »
That's a good point, I have been looking at the Roden Triplane and had noted it has two engines. I've also seen that on Sprue Brothers for relatively cheap. Thanks RAG!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2015, 11:18:27 AM »
Just a note. Only the ENCORE kit has two engines!
RAGIII

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2015, 06:35:09 AM »
 8) I saw that, I read some in-box reviews of both boxings and decided the "Encore"/Voss boxing was the one to go for.

Am I right in guessing there are no A/M interiors for this kit, or the E.V/D.VIII in general? I think it'll be a fun scratchbuilding exercise anyway.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2015, 08:15:52 AM »
8) I saw that, I read some in-box reviews of both boxings and decided the "Encore"/Voss boxing was the one to go for.

Am I right in guessing there are no A/M interiors for this kit, or the E.V/D.VIII in general? I think it'll be a fun scratchbuilding exercise anyway.

Actually Part makes a DR1 interior as does Eduard. ( IF you get the ENcore kit you get the Basic Eduard stuff so not needed. There is also a Fokker DVI interior set by Part that has ammo cans and other good stuff that would mostly work on the DR1. As far as I know no parts are available for the EV although a bunch of the DR1 stuff could/can be used.
RAGIII

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2015, 09:29:31 AM »
Sorry, I meant aftermarket for the Razor rather than the Dr.I  :-X

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2015, 11:07:40 AM »
Sorry, I meant aftermarket for the Razor rather than the Dr.I  :-X

Like I said, Nothing for the EV/Razor I am aware of. Some/Many of the DR1 parts would be useful.
RAGIII

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2015, 11:30:24 AM »
Definitely something to bear in mind, then. Thanks again, Rick!