Author Topic: SMS Emden, 1/1500, Scratch Built.  (Read 998 times)

Offline JBLavender

SMS Emden, 1/1500, Scratch Built.
« on: January 08, 2023, 05:21:14 PM »
Another of my WWI era scratch builds, this time SMS Emden as she appeared when detached from the East Asian Squadron. It’s often assumed Emden was painted in the white and buff scheme at the start of the war, however this isn’t true. The ship was repainted in Scheme 9 during the summer of 1910. The order to repaint all ships other than destroyers was issued in May 1910, with most ships on foreign station finished by the end of summer that year. At the start of WWI, Emden and the rest of the EAS remained in the two-tone grey Scheme 9. It is noted in several accounts that the ship was repainted at least once, possibly twice in those early days of the war. The first repainting was probably just a touch up of the Scheme 9 tones, but sadly neither repaintings were documented other than some throw-away comments that it occurred. However, I maintain the second repainting changed the two-tone Scheme 9 to a monotone grey, specially Lfd. Nr. 3 grey known as squirrel grey. This was done to make the ship appear more like British cruisers she was trying to impersonate. Photos of the wreck are inconclusive, but it does to appear to be a single shade. Photos of her near-sister Dresden seem to suggest the same.

The model is built entirely from boxwood and brass. The sea is carved from boxwood and painted. No fancy resins or gels, just wood and paint.

At any rate, this is why I chose to depict the ship in a single tone grey.

Offline Borsos

Re: SMS Emden, 1/1500, Scratch Built.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2023, 08:12:20 PM »
Congratulations on superb craftsmanship and a great eye on how to display these jewels.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2023, 10:55:25 PM »
Just incredible to build such a detailed cruiser in 1/1500 scale.
Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2023, 01:34:14 AM »
Fabulous build and great research!

Steve

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2023, 01:41:48 AM »
Just looking at you site and going through your builds. They are all incredible. I will be watching your Kongo build closely. Thanks for sharing!!

Steve

Offline JBLavender

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2023, 04:34:57 AM »
Thanks everyone! I’d love to share the Kongō progress here, but while she was around during the First World War, I don’t think her 1944 fit would really gel around here. She is progressing though. I need to update the website with some more photos since this week I was able to finish her main armament.

I built Emden a few years ago now, and I’d like to build Dresden as she appeared at the end of her life, beat to hell, dirty with coal dust, a sad state indeed.

The next ship after Kongō will be the carrier HMS Vindictive, 1918 in her dazzle paint. I made approximately 1,000 photo etch parts for her too. I plan to depict the ship in dirty weather, moody and grey.

By the way, I’ll be at the IPMS Nationals in Texas US this year, with some of the models if anyone wants to see them in person. I was at the nationals in Omaha last year and I got to meet quite a few of you internet peoples in person. I’ll be hanging out at the ScaleColors booth.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2023, 06:28:53 AM »
I'm gobsmacked. What incredible detail!

I’d love to share the Kongō progress here, but while she was around during the First World War, I don’t think her 1944 fit would really gel around here.
By all means, please share her in our The World of Scale Models board!

Offline JBLavender

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2023, 01:58:04 PM »
Thanks! I’ll do just that