Author Topic: 1:72 or 1:48 scale ??  (Read 1410 times)

Offline albireo13

1:72 or 1:48 scale ??
« on: January 05, 2023, 11:17:47 PM »
Hi,
  I am a relative greenhorn here.   I built some WW I craft models as a kid (Sopwith Camel, Spad, Fokker Triplane) and now am getting back into modelling again.   It has been awhile since I am now 67yo.   Aaaaagh!        I built many models as a kid and always enjoyed WW I planes the most, mostly for the interesting history of them.
I any case, I am looking to get back into it with a first build as an adult now.  Does anyone have good suggestions? 

I see many 1:72 scale kits and am curious.  My initial thought was to look for 1:48 since 1:72 seems small to me. What are the build differences between them? 
Obviously size but, is 1:72 more difficult?

I enjoy the awesome work I see in your builds!
Thank you.

Offline Dirigible-Al

Re: 1:72 or 1:48 scale ??
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2023, 01:07:44 AM »
Hello Albireo 13
I cannot really tell you what is more difficult, it depends on how you build it. Speaking from personal experience I find 1/72 quicker and easier to build but only because I feel I will get away with putting less detail in. That said there are some people on this site that have completed models in 1/72 and managed to detail them better than I could do 1/32! I guess your answer depends on your level of AMS.
Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Online DaddyO

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2023, 01:19:05 AM »
Hi Albireo13

I'd agree with Alan about detailing. No reason to limit yourself to one scale though  ;)

I build 1/72 (and before that mainly 54mm figures), but then I'm a bit of a traditionalist. Generally kits and accessories are much less expensive in the smaller scale. They take up a lot less room on the shelf and there's also less time invested in the building/painting. If you're interested in colours and shapes of the aircraft I'd say go with the smaller option if you can manage it. If detail and ultimate accuracy is more your thing then you'll probably prefer working in larger scales.

Another consideration might be who you are building them for. If you just want to please yourself the smaller scale is great. If you want to show them to friends and family they'll probably prefer looking at the bigger stuff

Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline albireo13

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2023, 05:45:24 AM »
Thanks all.  Well, as a starter I just picked up an Academy MiG-21MF fighter 1:48 kit from a local store.   I know this is not WW I.   My main focus will be WW I aircraft but, I figure I will use this as a "practice" kit to work out my building kinks.  It has been a long time since I built a kit and I figure I might make a lot of mistakes.

With that in mind, I plan to order a few WW I kits to have on hand.  I think I will try a 1:72 scale next just to try one.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2023, 06:32:53 AM »
   A very good move to experiment a bit as you are doing. I am 11 years older then you and have built model aircraft since the age of 7 more or less steadily. I started in 1:72, moved up to 1:48 Scale when I decided I wanted more detail and approximately 15 years ago went to 1:32 Scale as age was starting to affect my vision and manual dexterity ....... and of course the quest for more detail was better satisfied in the larger scale. Your final choice should be based mostly on what enjoyment you gain from your work, and you can also work in more then one or move to another scale. I concentrate most on WWI subjects in 1:32 Scale but enjoy a change of pace on a regular basis and highly recommend it to stimulate your motivation. I suspect as time goes on you'll be very pleased that you have made the choice to return to the Hobby, and all the motivation and support you'll ever look for is to be found right here. Welcome back and to our great Forum!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline WD

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2023, 01:04:04 AM »
I'll be 62 next month, so I'm in the same boat as you. My return to the hobby has come in fits and starts (long story). Suffice it to say, I'm relearning a lot of things now.
Now, to your question:
- I fully agree with what everyone has said in this thread, and then some.
- I have chosen 1/72nd, but that's because my budget in terms of display space and wallet fits that scale.
- 1/72nd IS fiddly! I cannot suggest strongly enough that you invest in a good light source and a magnifier. Lot's of choices for those two things out there. (And this is for no matter which scale path you choose to follow.)
- IF you want to do 1/72nd, it was suggested to me to start off with the Eduard Fokker Dr.I. I did, and the scribes and sages were right! It builds easily enough, very little rigging involved, etc.
- There are a lot of choices in 1/72nd scale kits out there, but they're fiddly. Some choice out there in 1/48th, but not as much. Choose your poison.
- I'm working on a couple of Eduard 1/72nd Nieuport 17's right now, wonderful kit, and whatever problems I'm having with are of my own making.

HTH!  YMMV,

Warren

Offline Rob Hart

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2023, 07:49:11 AM »
Why not try both 1/72 and 1/48? High quality WWI aircraft kits in 1/72 and 1/48 are fairly inexpensive. nicely engineered, well detailed, and many of them are relatively easy to build. Pick a subject you like and jump in.

Offline albireo13

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2023, 09:33:34 AM »
My plan is to finish the MiG first.  After that I think 1:48 for fighters and 1:72 for bombers and larger aircraft.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2023, 06:21:28 AM »
After that I think 1:48 for fighters and 1:72 for bombers and larger aircraft.
A sound strategy I use too.

Online Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2023, 03:27:10 AM »
Welcome back to the hobby Albirio13!  I’m a relatively new poster on this site but not new to the hobby. My preference is for 1/72 for several reasons:
1. The smaller size means more shelf room in display cases
2.  They are far less expensive than larger scale (mostly)
3.  The variety of subjects is far greater than any other scale.
The last reason is the most prominent for me. I like variety and rarity.  If this is your preference, you’ll need to look at vaccuform or resin kit manufacturers. This does increase the difficulty of the build significantly though.
I also prefer to stick with one scale. I like to see the contrast of size between models. You get a real sense of the enormity of a Zeppelin Staaken when you put a Sopwith camel next to it!
 As far as which scale is harder to build, that’s a complicated answer.  I try ( not always my hardest) to detail as much as possible in 1/72. The small scale offers me some latitude in that level of detail.  With the increasing complexity of modern injection molding and 3D printing, it’s hard for me to understand the argument that 1/72 is “too small for my eyes “.  The magnificent talent demonstrated by larger scale modelers on this site is mind boggling! 
Whichever scale or scales you choose, just remember that this is your hobby. There is no right or wrong if it’s what brings you fulfillment. I have found this to be a very supportive and encouraging group!  We look forward to seeing your posts!

Offline albireo13

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2023, 10:46:18 PM »
Hi again folks.  Thanks for the insights.  I have gotten underway on my MiG build at 1/48.  t is great practice getting back into the hobby and I can do a build before worrying about rigging!    :)

On another note is I am finding my fine motor dexterity, and ability to handle small parts, isn't what it used to be.   Still I find it fun.  I doubt I will be able to build with the skill and detail of other folks here.

I have given it more thought and I think I want to try a 1/72 WWI build next.  The smaller scale intruiges me. 

Online Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2023, 12:37:14 AM »
Excellent to hear!  Except about your dexterity. Here are a few examples that should be easily assembled with excellent fit and accuracy. Fairly low cost as well. I have no association with the eBay sellers, only took screen shots to post. 

The Smer Dr.1. is actually the Edward kit re-boxed. Great accuracy and fit of parts. Only downside is the one decal option.

The Revell triplane is also excellent. You have to watch for the most recent re-tooled version #04116.  I personally think it’s the best 1/72 version available straight out of the box.

The Edward D-VII is a little more pricey but well worth all the extra parts and decals to add to the spare parts bin.

Offline albireo13

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2023, 08:58:01 AM »
Awesome, thanks.
I just ordered the Fokker DR.1!