Author Topic: WW1 model photography question.......  (Read 662 times)

Offline Allan31

WW1 model photography question.......
« on: January 02, 2023, 10:25:40 PM »
I know this is probably not the right forum to be posting this in but I needed it seen quickly.....

After decades of faithful service my vintage D-520 has given up the ghost. I had a professional photographer in the house a few days ago and asked him why my camera shoots some pics fine and others all blue. He said the reason was the white balance mechanism uses chemicals and after all these years the chemicals are shot. I asked if it is something that can be fixed and he said "nah.."

I'm not someone prone to manually adjusting f-stops and all, I'm a point and shoot kind of guy. I know very little about modern cameras, I grew up with manual focus 35mm SLR film but it has been many years and I've forgotten what all those buttons and knobs do.

I "THINK" that this Cannon is something that would work for me but I'm seeking the opinions of smarter minds.

Again, sorry this is posted in the wrong forum but I now have nothing and need something fast.

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Offline Edo

Re: WW1 model photography question.......
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2023, 04:11:03 PM »
Hi Allan,
I returned to photography after a long time as I finally found a digital camera that has all the “buttons and knobs” I was used to when film was still hipe... but I understand that this kind of stuff is not your cup of tea (correct me if I am wrong). So I ask myself: why not just use your cellphone? nowadays they produce very, very fine pictures, maybe not enough to print a wall size poster but surely for a 800x600 pixels picture for web uses....
what do you think?

ciao
edo

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2023, 09:43:24 PM »
A Canon Rebel T7 here in Canada is coming in cheaper than the sx740. A full DSLR for less than the point and shoot. I know you're not interested in a DSLR but that seems to be a very expensive point and shoot. You really can use a DSLR like a point and shoot and have the lens change (macro) option. Otherwise I'm with Edo - phone cameras are a lot better than they used to be. (I always wanted to make a camera with a lousy phone built in ;))

Steve

Offline WD

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2023, 09:07:17 AM »
And yet, I am in the camp with Edo, use your cell phone. The camera on my current cell phone is light years better than what was available a few years ago. (In fact, I ordered a cheap ($15.00) macro lens just to see if it'll work with it. My sis-in-law makes her living with a DSLR as a commercial artist, and even she admits phone cameras now do just as good of a job except for a few exceptional cases.
Unless you're wanting to take photographs for publication in Air Modeler, AFV Modeler, or National Geographic, I'd say give your phone's camera a workout and see what you can get out of it.

Just my two Kopecks,

Warren