Author Topic: Triple Triplane Travails......  (Read 794 times)

Offline Allan31

Triple Triplane Travails......
« on: December 22, 2022, 05:56:26 AM »
While doing the Dragon Dr1 as 152, I realized had no decals to do Voss's 103.
I posted here and Zac suggested contacting Eduard, and I did.
After a couple of weeks of back and forth, I was trying to explain I just needed the decals and no kit. They said the cost of shipping just the decals would be expensive but if I ordered a kit, they would include them in for free.

So this came the other day...

With some almost alarming rib detail...

Decals duly tucked in as they said they would, thanks Eduard.

But before all that happened, to cover myself, I was still looking for the Eduard kit decals. I got an alert on Evilbay that the decals were in a box in Italy.
These decals could be mine for about $17.00 US dollars. Shipping from Italy was about $20.00, still cheaper than if I had found a kit that now is going for stupid money IF you can find one at all...

Low and behold, the decals arrived from Italy in the box....

Packaged in with the decals was all this other plastic packaging....

The box the decals came in....

I think it was quite the coop.

I was amazed I could not find piles of decals at all for any 1/72 triplane. I have this but no decals.

Since the Eduard decal thing worked out so well, I did the same with Revell/Germany. They have said they will send a sheet out for the kit free of charge. Thanks Revell !!

Not knowing if the Revell thing would work, I discovered Roden issued a tripe with markings for 2 or more Dr1's, I found that as well for cheap on Evilbay.

A little out-of-register but usable.

All these triplane travails are so I can continue to experiment with my "Stenciled Fokker Streaking". I especially think it will work well in 1/72 scale.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all of you. Hope you get just the models you wanted.

Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Offline RAGIII

Re: Triple Triplane Travails......
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2022, 09:09:47 AM »
It certainly turned out to be a Great deal on the Triplane "Decals"  8) I am certainly looking forward to your further experimentation with the Streaking! Thanks for posting in the "Show us Your Method" thread!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline WD

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2022, 12:31:51 AM »
Allan,
        *IF* you can find them, Americal-Gryphon did quite a few sheets back in the day that included quite a few triplane decals. Dr. Merrill did his sheets by Jasta. Additionally, you can search for some Pheon decal sheets, but I never seem to see those come up on evil-bay as I have an active search out for those. (The only Pheon decals that come up seem to be the 1/32nd sheets.)  Sorry I can't do more for you.

Warren

Offline Allan31

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2023, 10:11:28 PM »
Thanks all, I've resorted to asking the respected manufacturers to sending replacement decals. Not my first choice but will save the day.
Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.