Author Topic: Airfix Spitfire Mk. 1 1/72nd scale /Boulton Paul Defiant, Airfix 1/72nd scale  (Read 1523 times)

Online RAGIII

So to begin, this is the 1/72nd scale Airfix Spitfire Mk. 1 from the BoB. Paints are Tamiya and Airfix.

and the Boulton Paul Defiant:

RAGIII
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 01:26:28 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RichieW

Great start to your BOB project, just the right amount of weathering. That must be very easy to overdo in 1/72, you definitely avoided that trap. The Spitfire DW 0 K was based just a couple of miles up the road from me at Biggin Hill.

Keep em coming Rick, what a super project! :)

Richie

Online RAGIII

Great start to your BOB project, just the right amount of weathering. That must be very easy to overdo in 1/72, you definitely avoided that trap. The Spitfire DW 0 K was based just a couple of miles up the road from me at Biggin Hill.

Keep em coming Rick, what a super project! :)

Richie

Thanks Richie. Yes, I am trying not to go too far with the weathering. Like you said, easy to do! I also changed out a couple of the Spitfire photos after realizing two of the originals were before completion.
RAGIII

Offline macsporran

Nice models Rick. These new Airfix kits are pretty good I believe - although kinda pricey compared with the old bagged kits!

Never understood why the Defiant had no forward armament: obviously weight would be a problem but when the fuse blew in the rear turret it was defenceless. You'd think they'd remember the 1917 debacle when Leefe Robinson took out the new (superb) Bristol Fighter but lost most of his squadron by relying on the rear guns only. Once it was flown like a fighter with a sting in the tail it was pretty invincible. Shoulda used an (appropriately armed) Defiant in this manner.
Sandy

Online RAGIII

Nice models Rick. These new Airfix kits are pretty good I believe - although kinda pricey compared with the old bagged kits!

Never understood why the Defiant had no forward armament: obviously weight would be a problem but when the fuse blew in the rear turret it was defenceless. You'd think they'd remember the 1917 debacle when Leefe Robinson took out the new (superb) Bristol Fighter but lost most of his squadron by relying on the rear guns only. Once it was flown like a fighter with a sting in the tail it was pretty invincible. Shoulda used an (appropriately armed) Defiant in this manner.
Sandy

Thanks Sandy. Yes, one would think that forward armament would have been included. Perhaps the all up weight just made it impossible. The Aircrew of this Aircraft were truly Valliant! I also want to thank you guys for not mentioning the fogged canopies I just noticed. I guess I wasn't as careful as I though with the Flat Finish. I will go back and fix that  ::)
RAGIII

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
A nice pair. Yes, keep them coming :) But do not give up WW1 ;)
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline DaveB

Excellent work as ever, Rick -

Good to see something other than WW1 from time to time

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Online RAGIII

A nice pair. Yes, keep them coming :) But do not give up WW1 ;)

Thanks  Przemo, you are most kind! I am looking forward to building a Roden SPADXIII Late and a Copperstate Bristol Scout...as soon as Finances allow!
RAGIII

Excellent work as ever, Rick -

Good to see something other than WW1 from time to time

Regards

Dave

Thanks Dave, greatly appreciated!
RAGIII

and just to prove I am trying to fix the canopies, here they are almost cleaned up:

RAGIII

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
Great job and nicely painted!

Do not fret my friend, I have an abject fear of canopies... rigging is a far easier proposition to my mind :)

Cheers,

BC

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
I was always mesmerized by the 1/32 Revell Spitfire DWK box art so any time I see that a/c I think of it. Nice builds of a fascinating event!

Steve

Offline lone modeller

I missed these Rick: two very good builds of interesting aircraft - especially the Defiant. As Dave has written, it is nice to see types other than WW1 sometimes.

Stephen.

Offline WD

Great builds Rick!

Warren

Offline Borsos

Both look very nice, Rick. I am carrying the idea building both in 1:32 scale.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Online RAGIII

Great job and nicely painted!

Do not fret my friend, I have an abject fear of canopies... rigging is a far easier proposition to my mind :)

Cheers,

BC

Thanks Brad! I think it should be required that ALL 1/72nd kits with canopies should Have Masks!!  :o I did have an aftermarket mask for the Defiant. I just thought I had More control than I did when applying the final finish, without the masks in place  :-[
RAGIII

I was always mesmerized by the 1/32 Revell Spitfire DWK box art so any time I see that a/c I think of it. Nice builds of a fascinating event!

Steve

Thanks Steve! I am working on More from this "Event" . I am sort of caught up in the whole Theme now!
RAGIII

Great builds Rick!

Warren

Thanks Warren! I was looking at the Beautiful work you did on the interiors of your Zeroes and felt I was way below those standards Here!
RAGIII

Both look very nice, Rick. I am carrying the idea building both in 1:32 scale.
Andreas

Thanks Andreas! If I wasn't Low on Funds, and Short on Space, I would certainly Love to do these in 1/32nd  8)
RAGIII