Author Topic: Cockpit Interior Paint Color of Me 410 at RAF Museum Cosford ?  (Read 1705 times)

Offline dr 1 ace

Cockpit Interior Paint Color of Me 410 at RAF Museum Cosford ?
« on: December 17, 2022, 08:34:15 AM »
Does anyone have a FS # or a hobby paint match for the Interior of the Me 410 at Coford  ? The color pictures in the WWP  "In Detail Special no.1"  It shows it as a bluesih/green definitely not the 02 in the wheelwells. I also seem to recall seeing a similiar color in a He 162 that was being restored by the French company that did the Halberstadt.

Any and all help will be most appreciated.

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
Re: Cockpit Interior Paint Color of Me 410 at RAF Museum Cosford ?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2022, 10:17:16 AM »
Ed, I've asked this for you at Britmodeller - hopefully it will be answered in short order and I'll relay the results.

The French group is the Memorial Flight - here's their He162 page with many, many photos to help with colour matching.

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2022, 12:01:30 PM »
Thanks Zac, the cockpit is darker like 02/66 but that green is all over the inside of the a/c , lg etc It looks very similar to the green on the framing of their DR.I

Hope Britmodeller can come thru.

Ed

Offline Borsos

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2022, 07:48:16 AM »
RLM 66 changed its look over the years. When the early RLM 66 was like a very dark grey, the later one was mich greener. AK Real color have both in their range:

Regards,
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2022, 08:44:06 AM »
I also posted your request on ARC and LSP too  8)

From the other thread, which I have now closed for convenience:
In theory the cockpit should be RLM 66. I would expect gear and weapons bays to be 02. Cosford is about a 45 minute drive away for me. I may have photos of the 410 so if you want to pm me your email I can have a look next week.
Hello Simon,

Thank you very much for the kid offer !  Will most appreciate your efforts actually it would be a confirmation as The WWP pubs  definately show a different color . I have posted a similiar request on Hyperscale { https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/cockpit-interior-paint-color-of-me-410-at-raf-muse-t534983.html?view=unread#unread} with pics from the WWP .  Some of the responses think maybe it was British interior green that maybe the Museum used in the original restoration (?? see pictures on Hyperscale page of 2-too big to attach here) But if they did, they managed to perfectly save the 2 small rivitted plaques on the rail just below the red knob. So when you go to the museum if you could ask if that is what was done would be the answer.

No rush
Ed,  email:[email protected]

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2022, 10:54:25 AM »
Ed, this is from a member at LSP:
Are you looking to find out what oddball color they used in their cockpit, or looking for an alternative to the correct wartime RLM 66? 

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2022, 08:10:26 AM »
From "Fat Fly Half" on Britmodeller:
Cockpits, all the visible areas, in aircraft from 1941 were usually RLM 66 (Schwarzgrau)

Try paints such Xtracolour or any similar ones for a reasonable match.

Offline macsporran

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2022, 07:03:25 PM »
Mention of the Me410 at Cosford reminds me of my visit there over fifty years ago as a young ATC cadet, considering joining the RAF. Four of us went down to Cosford on an induction course and enjoyed lots of flying and shooting etc. However we had quite a bit of spare time and were shown the storage hangars which at that time held much of the itinerary for the soon-to-be-built BoB Museum at Hendon.
We were given free reign with the warning not to break anything.
I spent hours climbing over and into all these dream aircraft - Mosquito, Bf109, Fw190, Me110, Me410, Spits, Hurricane, etc, etc, etc. The Me410 was especially memorable for its cannon barbettes. I only had a little Kodak cartridge camera, how I wish now I'd had a decent SLR.
Frightening to think now that almost twice the time has elapsed since then, than since the aircraft at that time had been in action in WW2!
Tempus fugit.
Sandy

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2022, 07:33:56 AM »
From "Fat Fly Half" on Britmodeller:
Cockpits, all the visible areas, in aircraft from 1941 were usually RLM 66 (Schwarzgrau)

Try paints such Xtracolour or any similar ones for a reasonable match.

Zac,

Thanks for posting the latest 2 replies. I guess I was hoping that the lighter color was a sort of one-off as it would give a greater contrast to the cockpit , will await confirmation from Simon after his visit after the new year. It all looks to be use of the different paint for the 1986 restoration.

Ed

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2022, 10:48:49 AM »
Ed, were you wanting this particular aircraft's current cockpit colour or the original wartime finish?

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2022, 12:16:34 PM »
From ARC Forum member GW8345:
Not sure what Coford painted their bird in but the color should be RLM 66, the closest FS number would be 36118 (gunship grey).

All Luftwaffe cockpit were painted RLM 66 after 40/41 time frame.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2022, 12:16:49 PM »
From ARC Forum member GW8345:
Not sure what Coford painted their bird in but the color should be RLM 66, the closest FS number would be 36118 (gunship grey).

All Luftwaffe cockpit were painted RLM 66 after 40/41 time frame.

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2023, 08:29:48 AM »
Thanks all for the replies !  Will likely go with RLM 66 ! The  Memorial Flight did reply and the He 162 does indeed have an "off color" paint in the cockpit and various components, as they say original and most likely due to late war shortages/various subcontracting.

Ed

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2023, 08:27:47 AM »
Happy to help Ed, and please be sure to share your build with us! The 410 is a neat-looking machine and I'd love to see yours.

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2023, 09:21:57 AM »
Zac,

Will do on posting pics, it is 3rd in line, hopefully by the end of the year.

Ed