Author Topic: Airfix 1/72nd Me 109 E-4 JG2 " Richthofen " BoB  (Read 2149 times)

Offline lone modeller

Re: Airfix 1/72nd Me 109 E-4 JG2 " Richthofen " BoB
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2022, 08:56:03 AM »
Really good to se you back Rick - you have been truly missed. I am aldso pleased to read that you have seen the light at last and have recognised the importance of God's Own Scale!!

A lovely 109 and Spitfire - two classic types of course which I am sure many of us started our modelling careers with. As a teenager it always pained me that Airfix did not produce kits of the BoB era - always later types. Your plans to build the types involved (including Italian) is very exciting indeed. Are there any kits of the Italian bombers in the True Scale which are not made by Italaeri/Italeri? I used to own some of them but sadly sold them off many years ago - a shame really as they are rarely seen assembled.

Stephen.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2022, 01:02:01 AM »
The book you're using by Ray Rimell is a classic. I have the soft cover version when Scale Models magazine put all his monthly articles into one. The cover is hanging by a staple from the thousands of times I went through it. Great memories.

Steve

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2022, 02:07:30 AM »
Wonderful work on your 109, Rick -

If you had not said, I would have assumed a larger scale too!

Regards

Dave

Thanks Dave!
RAGIII

Really good to se you back Rick - you have been truly missed. I am aldso pleased to read that you have seen the light at last and have recognised the importance of God's Own Scale!!

A lovely 109 and Spitfire - two classic types of course which I am sure many of us started our modelling careers with. As a teenager it always pained me that Airfix did not produce kits of the BoB era - always later types. Your plans to build the types involved (including Italian) is very exciting indeed. Are there any kits of the Italian bombers in the True Scale which are not made by Italaeri/Italeri? I used to own some of them but sadly sold them off many years ago - a shame really as they are rarely seen assembled.

Stephen.

Thanks Stephen. I can certainly see the advantage of 1/72nd for WW2 models. One small shelf will hold two Me 109s,s, The Spitfire, Boulton Paul Defiant, and a Me 110. This is only taking up the front half of the shelf  ;D As for the Italian birds, so far Italeri is all I have found. I probably will have to search for the Old Supermodel Cant Z 1007 bis.
RAGIII

The book you're using by Ray Rimell is a classic. I have the soft cover version when Scale Models magazine put all his monthly articles into one. The cover is hanging by a staple from the thousands of times I went through it. Great memories.

Steve

Yes, I had forgotten that Ray was the Editor  8) This is the version printed in soft cover for the 50th anniversary of the BoB.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2022, 11:54:01 PM »
Nice looking 109, Rick.  I, too, am on a diversion from WW1 at the moment (though I just ordered the CSM Bristol Scout), working on WW2 and pre-WW2 subjects in 1/48 scale.  Right now, I'm on a FW190 for a diorama.  Then either a Bloch MB.152 or a BoB Me109 E-3.  I also have a Junkers W.34 on the way.  So far, I just haven't gotten the desire to do 1/72 scale as they are so small compared to the larger scales.
Have you found a website to post these subjects on?  I like the largescaleplanes site, but they are focused on 1/32 and larger. 

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2022, 02:46:48 AM »
Nice looking 109, Rick.  I, too, am on a diversion from WW1 at the moment (though I just ordered the CSM Bristol Scout), working on WW2 and pre-WW2 subjects in 1/48 scale.  Right now, I'm on a FW190 for a diorama.  Then either a Bloch MB.152 or a BoB Me109 E-3.  I also have a Junkers W.34 on the way.  So far, I just haven't gotten the desire to do 1/72 scale as they are so small compared to the larger scales.
Have you found a website to post these subjects on?  I like the largescaleplanes site, but they are focused on 1/32 and larger.

Thanks Ken. I have built most of the fighters and a couple of the bombers in 1/48th. I gave all of them away last year and traded the unbuilt ones  for 1/32nd scale Aircraft. 8) I started doing the 1/72 birds as a getaway from stress. No major detail, just build em and paint em.  ;D
That being said they do Try My Eyesight at times... OK, Always  :o
This is the Only website  I use. There are sites on Facebook if you go that route.
RAGIII

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2022, 07:45:05 AM »
Nice work on the duo Amigo !  You certainly crank them out, do not know how you do it even in the "noseeum scale" ! Always enjoy your work, regardless of scale !

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2022, 10:35:41 PM »
Hiya Rick, so good to see you modelling. The BOB period was my first love in scale models so I'm loving what I'm seeing here. The stipple paint on the flanks of your 109 is beautifully done.

You might like to add a Wellington bomber to your list. They carried out a lot of raids on the ports preparing to launch invasion barges during this time. I hear Airfix make a lovely new kit of it.

I can also highly recommend the Arma Hobby Hurricane mkI, I have one in the stash in the markings of Robert  Stanford Tuck. I built one a couple of years ago in the markings of Urbanowicz. Sadly it got shot down and destroyed by a feather duster so no photographs.

I'm so looking forward to seeing more of these.

Best wishes
Richie

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2022, 01:48:01 AM »
Nice work on the duo Amigo !  You certainly crank them out, do not know how you do it even in the "noseeum scale" ! Always enjoy your work, regardless of scale !

Ed

Thanks Amigo, as always I appreciate your comments. Like I always say, Quantity over Quality  ;D
RAGIII

Hiya Rick, so good to see you modelling. The BOB period was my first love in scale models so I'm loving what I'm seeing here. The stipple paint on the flanks of your 109 is beautifully done.

You might like to add a Wellington bomber to your list. They carried out a lot of raids on the ports preparing to launch invasion barges during this time. I hear Airfix make a lovely new kit of it.

I can also highly recommend the Arma Hobby Hurricane mkI, I have one in the stash in the markings of Robert  Stanford Tuck. I built one a couple of years ago in the markings of Urbanowicz. Sadly it got shot down and destroyed by a feather duster so no photographs.

I'm so looking forward to seeing more of these.

Best wishes
Richie

Thanks Richie. After I get the major players out of the way I will likely do an He1115 and perhaps the Wellington and a couple of others  8) I need to find a good source for Arma in the US?
RAGIII