Author Topic: Roy Brown Camel  (Read 635 times)

Offline SimonCornes

Roy Brown Camel
« on: December 13, 2022, 08:16:55 PM »
I am renovating a Wingnut Camel in the Roy Brown markings but they are not the markings I know from my youth - having built a Renwal 1/72 Camel with 'real fabric' in my youth back in the late 60's/early 70's which had a chevron on the turtle deck as well plus fuselage roundels and serials in the usual places. I have just acquired an Academy 1/32 kit for the decals (which are as I remember) but I am wondering if Mr Brown's Camel was every liveried as I remember and Academy provide? Wingnut's photo references say otherwise of course!

Thanks for your help in advance!

Simon

Offline macsporran

Re: Roy Brown Camel
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2022, 10:13:24 PM »
From memory, Brown's Camel's colour scheme was added to, over it's service career. I think the WNW scheme shows as it was on the fateful 21st April, but the Academy and Revell markings show it as it was later - perhaps 'enhanced' for the publicity earned after the MvR kill was officially registered?
So they are probably all OK! (but I haven't checked if my memory is playing me true!)
Sandy 

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2022, 12:04:46 AM »
   FWIW I recall finding references that match the comments from Sandy below; the 21 April 18 scheme was the very "Plain Jane" one , the more colorful additions of chevrons and addition of the fuselage markings followed for publicity purposes later.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline SimonCornes

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2022, 05:10:24 AM »
Thanks Guys, then I will go with the more colourful option for then. Sometimes it’s better to go for the more colourful rather then the ‘accurate at point X ‘ and I like colourful models!!

Offline Allan31

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2022, 01:01:55 AM »
I also just recently completed a Roy Brown camel and had to go through the same research.

I came up with this that seems to confirm what the "average truth" is out on the www.....

I did mine as it is thought to have appeared on April 21, 1918 (Ye olde Monogram 1/48)

Seems any scheme we like would have been correct at one time or another....
Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2022, 12:01:13 AM »
Love that Camel Allan. Amazing what you do with those old Aurora, Monogram etc etc kits

Steve