Author Topic: 1/72 Albatros CII Scratch Built  (Read 709 times)

Offline lone modeller

1/72 Albatros CII Scratch Built
« on: December 10, 2022, 09:50:12 AM »
Evening All,

I have been taking longer even than usual on a large (ie 1/32 scale) scratch build project and started to flag badly in the summer for a variety of reasons. Then BM started a GB on prototypes etc so I wondered if I could get some modelling energy back by building a prototype in God's Own Scale. Naturally pusher types are worth serious consideration when it comes to scratch building, so when I discovered a type which was completely new to me about three years ago, I added it to my to do list: now was the time to get started. This is the result:

The Albatros CII is a little known type and I have found conflicting information about it: however all sources agree on some at least of the facts. WW1 German armed two seaters were given the 'C' designation and the first Albatros "C" variant was essentially an armed version of the earlier 'B'  machine. The CI entered service in 1915. In late 1915 and early 1916 the German Fokker and Pfalz monoplanes were wreaking heavy losses on the RFC reconnaissance types on the western front, but the introduction of the FE 2b and later DH 2 pusher types turned the tide in favour of the RFC. The Germans were impressed by the performance of the FE 2b and according to one source asked Albatros to produce a two-seat pusher design for trials.

Other sources state that the CII was ordered in early 1916 so that the performance of a two seat pusher could be tested and evaluated. Whatever the original reason, a prototype was built and appeared in March/April of 1916. My model shows the aircraft as it was photographed at around that time, ie before the serial number was added and a coloured stripe painted across the front of the nacelle, as shown in later photographs. The machine was test flown in the summer of 1916 but the design was not proceeded with as there were much better two seat tractor designs available and in service.

I could not find any drawings of this machine but all sources state that the wings and undercarriage of the CI was incorporated into this machine. Close study of the few photographs available suggested to me that the design engineers used the fuselage of the CI too: they seem to have cut it in half just behind the observers seat and turned it through 180 degrees so that the engine was at the rear of the new nacelle. The front of the nacelle was rounded off and the seats of the crews also turned through 180 degrees. The booms and tail unit were new.

I made my own drawings based on the DataFile of the Albatros CI and I used the published dimensions and photographs to construct the booms and tail: I am sure that my model has inaccuracies but am content to let someone prove to me where they are. The colour scheme is also problematic as I could not find any details as to what the colours, (if any), were: the machine may have been CDL but my interpretation of the photos suggests a single overall colour. If anyone has contradictory proof please do not bother to tell me as I do not intend to rebuild or repaint this model.

I made the model using my usual methods and materials: 30 thou styrene sheet, push moulding, Evergreen strip, florists wire and wood, and very expensive and sophisticated jigs. It is rigged with rolled copper wire. I have also employed a large amount of smoke and mirrors.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

Re: 1/72 Albatros CII Scratch Built
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2022, 05:06:44 PM »
Smoke and mirrors nothing!  That's a real beaut, Stephen.  Top marks!!!!

Always like your work,

Dan

Online DaddyO

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2022, 06:10:19 PM »
Gorgeous
(I'm now looking at a C1 kit and wondering what one would look like in CDL . . .  ;) )

Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Online enathan

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2022, 12:45:27 AM »
A lovely model Stephen, and a welcome addition to the very little available information on this fascinating Albatros pusher.
Great work!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2022, 03:22:48 AM »
As always your work is amazing Stephen! Beautiful results on an unusual Type! I have been taking some time off so I haven't been following builds. I will have to go back and look at this one as I always enjoy following your processes!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RichieW

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2022, 04:01:13 AM »
It was a real pleasure to see this little gem in the flesh today. It looks amazing in the photographs but as always with models it looks even better and more delicate up close and personal. What a treat to have the chance to see it this afternoon.

Richie

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2022, 07:47:41 AM »
Locked due to double-post (open post here: https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=13505)
Zac in NZ