Author Topic: 3 AM at YYZ  (Read 2713 times)

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
3 AM at YYZ
« on: April 23, 2012, 05:07:19 PM »
Well here I am finishing up a midnight shift in a couple of hours. The winds are gusting and the tower here on top of terminal one is gently swaying. This forum actually has me going home and sitting at the workbench for a bit before I get some rack time. Now thats inspiration!! Maybe I'll bring some basic kit work in with me......

Offline Whiteknuckles

Re: 3 AM at YYZ
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 10:43:26 PM »
ATC @ Toronto Pearson International pepperman?

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline Jim52

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 11:29:37 PM »
Don't you just love working nights? ;) My neighbors think I'm nuts when I'm
out cooking on the grill at 7:30 am. ???

Jim

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 11:47:54 PM »
One of the many things I hate about night shift (and there are so many :() is arriving home when everyone else is waking up or has woken up - they are all bright eyed and bushy tailed and I feel like the living dead :o

In the middle of one right now, approaching midnight......

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 12:04:49 AM »
I know of what you speak. It's hard on the body and it was hard on my wife and small children as they had to stay quiet while I slept during the day. I worked a variety of midnight shifts. When I was on 8hr shifts they were 11-7 or 12-8. On 10hr shifts they were 9 to 7 and on 12 hr shifts, 6-6.

Hang in there!

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 12:12:10 AM »
14 hour night shifts here: 1800hrs till 0800hrs....

I always do 2 day shifts (0800 to 1800) followed by two nights then 4 days off and repeat (I'm a Fire Fighter). Tonight's the last night for this set ;D

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 12:28:42 AM »
That the same rotation I had when we moved to 12hr shifts Andrew, and it was the best rotation I ever worked. We were always jealous of you guys because everyone likes a firefighter.  ;D

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 10:07:51 AM »
  Guys,
Man do I ever know what your talking about ,the good and the bad of shift work. Before I had to take a Medical Retirement two years ago now I worked shift work for over twenty years 0600-1800 rotating to 1800-0600 as an Operations Supervisor while in my normal job. During my last five years I also functioned as a Relief Supervisor OOC in Houston ,Texas which meant long periods away from home. The worst of it was not being around for the wife and our three children at the time. It all paid very well and carried much responsibilities but at a cost as always.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 10:27:32 AM »
When I was a member of the RAAF, I was on 24 hour call seven days a week. Many times I would be woken in the wee small hours of the morning to fix a problem with an F.III that had just landed, or I would be enjoying a weekend with family and get a phone call saying I had to be back at base to board a C.130 and fly to Darwin to fix an aircraft, then fly back the next morning. It was demanding work but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 02:54:57 PM »
Andrew
              Not ATC but it is radio work. We control the ramps around the terminals then hand them off to ATC or they hand off arrivals to us. What I like about shift work is I can get my daily stuff done when everyone else is working. Groceries at 1030 on a Tuesday morning is a breeze compared to Thursday evening. Weekends at work when everyone else is BBQing not so much.....

Steve

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 04:01:59 PM »
I very nearly put in an application for enroute ATC here in Australia (out of Brisbane or Melbourne centres) - in hindsight I should have given it a go >:(

My wife is a midwife and works at the local hospital, so our whole life is based around our shiftwork - not a lot of people actually 'get it' that we aren't always available at the drop of a hat for a BBQ, etc. Can get frustrating at times.

I'd imagine being on call whilst out relaxing (as Des stated) is even more of a wrench - lucky we enjoy what we do/did!!

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 04:07:04 PM »
......and theres no suits around on midnights ;)

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 04:19:37 PM »
......and theres no suits around on midnights ;)

Absolutely!! 8)

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline Jim52

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 11:04:54 PM »
They (Suits) start showing up at about 5am at my place.......about
the same time as the problems.......Funny that?  :-X

Jim