Author Topic: Some triplane questions......  (Read 601 times)

Offline Allan31

Some triplane questions......
« on: November 30, 2022, 08:03:33 AM »
After thinking too much, I think I did my resent Revell wrong.

It seems to be generally agreed that this is 425 and not 477. For me the most convincing argument for 425 are the chips on the side of the fuselage.
It has been documented that this aircraft seemed to have a covering of very "high quality" which would also bode well for the argument that this a/c was covered in silk and painted red at the factory by Fokker. With that in mind, I did my build wrong. In the below pic, no evidence at all of a white background around the crosses.

I guessed wrong on the white patches but luckily I was also wrong on how well the Vallejo red would dry and my second coat covered the white areas better than I thought it would.

I now think I should have full black markings rather than showing them painted over.

If anyone has a spare set of the 425 markings for the Revell kit, I would love to have them or else I by another kit for the decals so I can correct this egregious error....

I have two triplane kits. One by Dragon and the other by Edward. Edward will give the 102 and the Dragon I will do as 152. 102 is generally agreed on was finished all over light blue with the green streaks. Production a/c were not all over blue. Paul Leaman says they were clear doped to seal and then streaked with green. Using a CDL color under the green streaking does not sound right to me. Aviattic shows a grey color under the green streaking. I've also read a pea green base below the streaking.

Do we have a consensus as to what color I should use? If anybody knows, it's you guys.

Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Offline Big Sky Modeler

Re: Some triplane questions......
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2022, 05:21:20 AM »
There is a very good discussion on The Aerodrome concerning this airplane and its covering.  The thread is fairly current (2019) and has many pictures of the remaining fragments from 425/17.  Well worth the read.

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71271

The conclusion was that the red was not painted at the factory.

I like the chipping you did.  Looks great.

Offline Allan31

Re: Some triplane questions......
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2022, 11:35:38 PM »
That was a FASCINATING read, thanks. Looks like I don't have to redo it after all !!
Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.