Author Topic: Hello From Virginia  (Read 1202 times)

Offline Dubar

Hello From Virginia
« on: November 20, 2022, 08:58:51 PM »
Hello folks!!!

Retired civil servant here, worked for the Navy for over 30 years before retiring 15 years ago as a combat systems assessment director.

Been into aircraft since I was a kid.  My dad was in the 9th USAAF in WW2, mom was a Welsh nurse.  Whenever I tell people she was Welsh that look at me strange, I tell them she was from the southern part of Wales (because of my Virginian drawl!!!).

My hobbies, depending on what physical condition I'm in at any given moment, are modeling, wargaming, golfing, and target shooting with my collection of WW2-ish bolt-action rifles.

My favorite WW1 airplane is the Fokker DVIII, built a 1/6 RC model of single-wing fighter back in the early 70s.  Still have it but it's in much need of an overhaul/rebuild.  Also have it in 1/16, 1/48, and so to be 1/144 scales (got a big shipment from Shapeways coming in a day or 2).  My favorite WW2 airplane is the FW-190, sure the Spitfire is elegant, and the Mustang is racy, but the FW-190 has that "I mean business" look to it.

Anyway, thanks for having me here and look forward to perusing the forum.

Offline Dirigible-Al

Re: Hello From Virginia
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2022, 05:19:32 AM »
Hello Dunbar
Welcome to the forum. I totally get what you say about Welsh having spent some time in the USA and being from the South West of the UK. I had to explain my Westcountry accent was neither Scottish or Irish (which was were people assumed me to be from). Got by by saying I was from where all the pirates come from.
Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2022, 09:32:45 AM »
Welcome aboard! It's great to have you here! I'd love to see your builds, particularly the upcoming 1/144 batch.

Got by by saying I was from where all the pirates come from.
;D
Zac in NZ

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2022, 11:49:06 AM »
Enjoy the site!!

Steve

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2022, 02:12:05 PM »
A warm welcome to the Forum Dubar.
I hope you find much here to help your hobby.
Cheers
Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Dubar

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2022, 08:35:53 PM »
Thanks folks!!!
While my "modeling" is in 1/48 scale, I will also be gaming using 1/144 models (my Shapeways package is running late, need to contact USPS to see if it's lost!!!) using a battle mat I ordered from Cigar Box which came in yesterday.  4'x6' (Europe, Just Fields) mat with 4" hexes, really nice and heavy enough that it won't move around on my tables.  I'm using 3 2'x4' tables with folding legs I picked up at the local hardware place, 2 side by side and 1 across the end of those 2 to give me the 4'x6' area, totaling 13x17 4" hexes to play on.  Last night I ran a solo game using my 1/48 Fokker DVIII and SPAD XIII, SPAD did not fair so well  :(

When I was in my 20s I would often drive to Bealeton Virginia to the Flying Circus Aerodrome to see their collection of WW1 aircraft fly.  I've flown a Cessna 150 and can't imagine, not only being one of the first few to learn to fly a plane, having to fly while being shot at!!!

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2022, 12:46:46 AM »
   Welcome to the Forum Dubar, you'll find all the support and inspiration you need right here. Enjoy!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2022, 04:06:18 AM »
Welcome to the Forum from the Mountains of Western NC. I am sure you will enjoy things here!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler