Author Topic: Tamiya 1:32 P-51D Mustang IV RCAF  (Read 1359 times)

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
Tamiya 1:32 P-51D Mustang IV RCAF
« on: November 20, 2022, 08:56:42 AM »
    I just added this superb Kit to my collection of "Canadian content" non WW.I subjects. I've been rather low key of late having taken almost two months of sick time; nothing like a good case of COVID followed by a nasty case of the RSV Virus combined with a 78 year old body and pre-existing health condition. I feel lucky to still be here but feel like recovery is finally underway.
   Canada purchased 130 USAF P-51D's in 1947 and it was the mainstay of our Fighter force until the arrival of the Dehavilland Vampire 3 in the mid 1950's. This model represents  a Mustang of 402 "City of Winnipeg" Squadron flown out of RCAF Winnipeg Manitoba. It has a complete resin after market cockpit (Barracuda Studios)) added along with some minor resin additions, the markings are from Leading Edge Decals.
    I choose this scheme for it's appeal and I suspect the use of the national colors of the Ukraine was hardly a coincidence. Although I couldn't find confirmation in my references Canada has the greatest number of people of Ukrainian descent and heritage (1.3 Million) in the world after the Ukraine itself and Russia. The vast majority of these Ukrainian Canadians settled in our western provinces and Manitoba, of which Winnipeg is the capital, along with Saskatchewan and Alberta are home to them

Overall I highly recommend this Kit, it's a beauty and a very enjoyable Build although not a quick exercise!
Cheers,
Lance

« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 09:01:12 AM by lcarroll »

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
Re: Tamiya 1:32 P-51D Mustang IV RCAF
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2022, 10:42:04 AM »
Awesome work Lance, and a very catchy paint scheme!

Cheers,

BC

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2022, 12:59:32 PM »
Awesome work Lance, and a very catchy paint scheme!

Cheers,

BC

Add my dittos !  Nicely done Lance !

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2022, 01:55:27 PM »
Excellent build of a great kit!!

Steve

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2022, 12:42:52 AM »
   Thanks for looking and commenting Gents. It is indeed a very nice Kit as are the others in Tamiya's 1:32 Scale series.
Cheers,
Lance

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2022, 03:31:44 AM »
Lance, the most important thing I wish to say is - great to have you on the recovery way!
And the model, well a lovely Mustang!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2022, 05:47:21 AM »
Lance,

I wish to echo Prez's sentiments: look after yourself and make sure that you make a full recovery before diving back fully into the fray. Good news that you are so much better.

In any even you illness has not affected your modelling skill if this one is anything to go by. Super finish and very colourful to boot. Thanks for the background information too - makes a model do much more interesting.

Stephen.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2022, 09:49:08 AM »
Beautiful work Lance! RCAF Mustangs sure are pretty.

This kit is on my wishlist when finances allow - I've built the Mosquito and it was such an enjoyable build, I'm excited to do the Mustang.

Offline Rob Hart

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2022, 11:44:26 AM »
Gorgeous Mustang!

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2022, 07:11:33 PM »
Congrats on a beautifully finished Mustang, Lance. I saw Chris Johnson’s similar build and am certainly tempted to pick up that Tamiya kit myself. There is something about the look of that aircraft that really gets to an aviation enthusiast. You’ve done another impressive job and created great addition to your collection of excellent models.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline RichieW

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2022, 02:50:21 AM »
Beautifully done with a really eye catching scheme. More importantly I'm glad you were able to withstand the onslaught of 2 nasty illnesses!

Best wishes
Richie

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2022, 12:41:12 AM »
    Thanks to all for your generous comments and well wishes for a quick recovery, they are very much appreciated.
    Garry, Chris's Mustang is no coincidence; we were part of an informal Group Build by the five members of our on-line group of friends that decided on a Mustang Build and both chose the "City of Winnipeg" scheme.
    I'm presently taking a short break before starting another project; I'm replacing the lighting in the roll top desk I do my building on and attempting a serious clean up to provide a bit more then the six square inches of actual work space I seem to have trapped myself into over the years! From what I've seen in various posts here I am not unique in this regard, we Model Builders are not noted for our tidiness and probably mostly descended from some pre historical "Gatherers" species, my work area looks like the scene of a massive train wreck at it's best times!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RichieW

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2022, 05:59:37 AM »

I'm presently taking a short break before starting another project; I'm replacing the lighting in the roll top desk I do my building on and attempting a serious clean up to provide a bit more then the six square inches of actual work space I seem to have trapped myself into over the years! From what I've seen in various posts here I am not unique in this regard, we Model Builders are not noted for our tidiness and probably mostly descended from some pre historical "Gatherers" species, my work area looks like the scene of a massive train wreck at it's best times!
Cheers,
Lance

That may not be such a short break then Lance!  ;)

Offline DaveB

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2022, 08:12:53 PM »
Oh lovely, Lance

Wonderful work on your P51D!

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2022, 10:48:36 PM »
Looks great, really like that spinner!