Author Topic: Look what I found!  (Read 1264 times)

Offline guitarfool

Look what I found!
« on: November 08, 2022, 04:12:16 PM »
Found this on ebay for 20 bucks! Mint condition - still factory sealed in cellophane (before shrink-wrap). This is the Aurora Nieuport 11 that was the first model kit I ever built, 60 years ago when I was eight years old. I also found a surprising number of other factory-sealed Aurora WWI 1:48 scale A/C. I never knew there were so many WWI planes in the series (like the DH10 and Gotha GIV). But the Nieuport 11 is the most important one to me.

I don't know that I'll ever open it - if I do I'll build strictly out-of-the-box.

Offline Radarman

Re: Look what I found!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2022, 11:27:13 PM »
Great find! That's a real trip in the "Way Back Machine".

Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline macsporran

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2022, 01:12:41 AM »
They're the kits that started the WWI obsession for me back in the 60s. Loved the base with mechanic and name plate.

I collected them all again in the 90s - even the ones I'd never found as a schoolboy. They were very cheap on ebay back then.

You must open the box - for two reasons
a) to make sure the real kit is actually inside (there were some scams..)
b) to breath in that distinctive preserved Aurora smell - takes you right back to childhood!

I always thought Wingnuts should have copied exactly the same range of subjects first, (except maybe the DH-10), to get some assured best sellers in the bank, before venturing into less salesworthy fare like the DFWs and UWD.
Sandy 

Offline Rick_H

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2022, 11:45:48 AM »
Another reason to open it is the wonderful tissue paper that Aurora used to protect the parts.  :-)

Offline WD

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2023, 12:39:19 AM »
I just now *found* this section.

Wow, that was my first WWI kit as well, I was maybe eight, maybe nine years old. It was bought from Mason's variety store. It's the only Aurora WWI kit I saw growing up.

Warren