Author Topic: Airco DH 2 by Modelik ..... or not?  (Read 1508 times)

Offline PetworthPilot

Airco DH 2 by Modelik ..... or not?
« on: October 22, 2022, 04:49:13 PM »
Hey squadron, I got the Modelik model for the Airco DH2. I have one other Modelik kit where all the pages of the model are stapled together like a magazine. The one I got this week are loose pages which came tightly packed into a plastic sleeve causing the pages to warp a bit but should have no effect on the model itself. Notice the printing registration being off on the front page if you look at the name of the kit. Printing is excellent throughout the kit once you go inside. On the other Modelik kit I have the front page is glossy like a magazine. The one I got this week has a dull or matte finish.  Did I mention that this week's kit came from China?
Can anyone shed light on my investigation?
Fan of scale models either static, RC, or rubber powered.

Offline PetworthPilot

Re: Airco DH 2 by Modelik ..... or not?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2022, 12:46:20 AM »
An email from Modelik stated that I likely bought a bootleg. I emailed the ebay seller demanding full refund and will alert ebay although I doubt they will care.  I fell bad that I didn't see something that should have been so obvious.  I hope that this post will remind people to look carefully at the stuff you buy from China.

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2022, 03:35:39 AM »
Hello Petworth...

You weren't the first and won't be the last!  My wife got me a paper model for Christmas last year and it was clear it was boot legged.  She, of course, had no idea and was just trying to be nice.  Sadly, it's just too easy to pirate paper.

I even downloaded a model from a site for free when I first started paper models several years ago.  I posted my finished pride and joy and the creator of the model delicately let me know that if I didn't get it from his shop, it was pirated.  I apologized profusely since I was truly unaware of this and thought if it was on-line and free, it was out of production etc.  How wrong I was.  I promptly bought the kit from his site and we became fast friends.  He was a great guy and understood this issue.

Anyway, sorry for the late reply but this is definitely a pirate job...neat model though!  ;)

Dan

Offline PetworthPilot

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2022, 08:36:48 PM »
The ebay shop refunded my money if I promised not to leave negative feedback. This was a promise worth breaking.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2022, 01:38:41 AM »
While legal action is possible it is near impossible to pursue these pirates. How does a small manufacturer afford the time and money for unlikely success? The other source of illegal copies is Ali Express. The resin casters on that site copy everything from figure to box art....all poorly but at a ridiculously low price. A poor decision on my part was to order thinking it was a vendor selling, in this case, Alpine. Box art, painted figure, etc were an exact match. What was in the box was a distorted, large copy in purple resin. I was an idiot for not thinking "too good to be true"

Steve
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 09:56:02 AM by pepperman42 »

Offline PetworthPilot

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2022, 12:30:56 AM »
While legal action is possible it is near impossible to pursue these pirates. How does a small manufacturer afford the time and money for unlikely success. The other source of illegal copies is Ali Express. The resin casters on that site copy everything from figure to box art....all poorly but at a ridiculously low price. A poor decision on my part was to order thinking it was a vendor selling, in this case, Alpine. Box art, painted figure, etc were an exact match. What was in the box was a distorted, large copy in purple resin. I was an idiot for not thinking "too good to be true"

Steve

Steve, you're completely correct. I bought my bootlegged kit on ebay who will not lift a finger to stop those who sell illegal merchandise. All we can do is to educate others. Perhaps a few will read my post and not make the same mistake I did.

Be well all,