Author Topic: distractions and interest  (Read 1584 times)

masterKamera

distractions and interest
« on: October 01, 2022, 02:56:03 AM »
Ive been dealing with a lot the last few months, covid, migraines from needing new lenses that havent helped a whole lot.

But i havent lost the interest in building models, i have just i dont know, lost the thing that actually makes me build them. 

Ill admit i have lost SOME interest in building the kits i have as the pt-20s arent as advanced as the online literature made out, and they seem as comical as a 10 piece snap tight kit..

But how often d you guys just loose the urge to build?

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
Re: distractions and interest
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2022, 05:53:20 PM »
Hi masterKamera - I think we all have things that get in the way of progress.

Work can leave you tired and not having enough time or mojo to do a little bit here and there throughout the week (I find this especially so for me as I tend to work long days... which means I tend to be most productive at the bench on weekends, even if only for a couple of hours here and there). Other times, for me, it can simply be the long road ahead on a project in its early stages that can slow the urge down. I find once I get past the 'tipping point' on a build, be it something like completion of the cockpit, or priming, or decals, I am off and away again.

Otherwise, what tends to get me motivated again seeing the great builds of other modelers. It reminds me that I still have a long way to go with my skills, and the only way to do that is to get off my backside and get to the bench...! 

Even so, my build rate stays particularly slow. Where as in past years I could get through 10+ kits a year, these days I am down to 2-4 builds a year, in a good year (I am up to 3 so far this year, and I suspect that will be it, given the builds I have on the bench right now are not simple).

Cheers,

BC

Offline Thumbs up

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2022, 05:43:14 AM »
Inspiration is 95% perspiration or for the more technically minded T2 over T1 -1= efficiency But we have all been a bit battered over the last couple of years  :'(

Offline DaveB

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2022, 06:12:56 PM »
Yes, know the feeling.

This is something I have discussed with other members of my model club.   I seem to get to the point (sometimes) of saying to myself 'what's the point?'

What I now do is I complete a build and then have a break for a week or two before comencing another project - this seems to work for me.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

masterKamera

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2022, 01:42:17 AM »
i was progressing well on my goshawk, only had two holes to drill for the rigging, and then start painting it in chunks. Then the migraines hit. Then the covid once I had my new lenses. And now its just BLAH.. no ambition to do any of it.

Offline Thumbs up

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2022, 02:26:59 AM »
How motivated are you with other interests or is this a general malaise?

masterKamera

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2022, 01:56:15 PM »
How motivated are you with other interests or is this a general malaise?

i successfully put everything off except the laundry and making my tea in the morning.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2022, 12:01:03 AM »
I struggle with motivation too. Sometimes I take ages just choosing a subject and then find excuses to not build it. Other times I make the mistake of stopping at a point that when I come back to it I have a "I don't want to start there" block and shelve the project. Not sure what to say. Push through? Start and don't stop? I empathize but really am in no position to give advice. Tea is good though.

Steve

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2022, 05:18:25 PM »
I have no advice as well as I have all these symptoms: slow building, frequent interruptions, motivation going up and down often and suddenly and I believe there is plenty of us. Anyway I think if you build for yourself, coming back to bench from time to time, no matter if seldom or often is a way of not giving up and, in the end, feel little better. Sooner or later your projects will eventually land. Thumbs up!
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline RichieW

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2022, 07:24:08 PM »
It's a strange one, I lost use of modelling space for a year and so did no modelling at all but I found I didn't even think about the hobby in this time. I managed to get my space back a few weeks ago and have been working at a project again and very much enjoying it.

I do find that as my mood rises and falls my interest in all of my hobbies follows it. I wonder if this is what you are experiencing too. I hope you can find the motivation to get started again because our hobbies, whatever they are, are life enhancing.

Best wishes
Richie

Offline WD

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2022, 09:51:02 AM »
Master Kamera,
                         I've lost both motivation and opportunity to build frequently over the last 20 years. The last twenty years have seen me start, and stop, and start, and stop. Real life, work, family issues, etc. have a way of interfering with my hobby. I've currently got two builds on the bench that I abandoned in 2006/2007 due to real life/work getting in the way. Of late I've found listening to podcasts and getting out to shows and contests to meet other modelers to be a balm on getting the Mojo back.

Warren